AA and Jetstar (JQ) partner in New Zealand

Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
AA and Jetstar (JQ) partner in New Zealand

American Airlines and Jetstar said Wednesday they will work together to sell seats on Jetstar's flights to several destinations in New Zealand.

It's a so-called code-sharing deal. AMR Corp.'s American will put its code on Jetstar flights such as Auckland to Christchurch and Auckland to Wellington.

Members of American's frequent-flier program will be able to earn miles on those American-code flights and redeem them on flights sold under Jetstar's Qantas code. Jetstar is a low-fare subsidiary of the Australian carrier.

American and Qantas are members of the same alliance of worldwide airlines, called oneworld.
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9IR4NIG0.htm

Be interesting to see which fare codes AA members will earn miles on.
The QF program only allows economy earning on the more expensive JetFlex fares (V, Y class) or codeshare flights (B, H, K or Y class).

Is the first step towards JQ (100% QF) and 3K/VF (49% QF) joining oneworld?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
If it is an AA flight number it would follow AAdvantage earning rules.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Interesting. I wonder if this will have the common restriction that AA codeshares must be booked in conjunction with an AA flight, which in this case must be a QF-operated trans-Pacific feeder (unless I'm not thinking of something). I'm not sure I understand the logic.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
+1. Absolutely correct. AA codeshare earns as if tone were flying on AA. Deathstar or any other airline.

Originally Posted by inlanikai
If it is an AA flight number it would follow AAdvantage earning rules.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Pity, I was really hoping that JQ would go the way of TED.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:43 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
Pity, I was really hoping that JQ would go the way of TED.
JQ is proving to be more profitable than QF. CEO of Qantas stated that the "two stars" of their recent earnings were Jetstar and the Frequent Flyer program which has been agressively expanding through credit card and Woolworth's (grocery store chain) affinity programs.

I loathe JQ, however some routes offer no other choice. You do, however, earn Business class status credits on the "Starclass" which they advertise as Business, but is more of a premium economy product.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Could this be a precursor of JQ actually becoming a potential OW affliate under QF?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:50 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Could this be a precursor of JQ actually becoming a potential OW affliate under QF?
No it will not be a member in forseeable future. But the JQ operated routes codeshare with oneworld airlines may be considered as oneworld routes. Just like WestJet and Alaska.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:55 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Doubt it. JQ is a LCC, are there any other in OW? No elite recognition whatsoever. QF Platinum members can access the First Class Lounge in SYD, however this is specifically mentioned in the T/Cs, and wouldn't apply to other OW elites. JQ Can't offer priority baggage, priority seating, extra baggage allowances, or any of the other benefits that are provided to OW elites simply because their model and systems don't allow for it.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Doubt it. JQ is a LCC, are there any other in OW? No elite recognition whatsoever. QF Platinum members can access the First Class Lounge in SYD, however this is specifically mentioned in the T/Cs, and wouldn't apply to other OW elites. JQ Can't offer priority baggage, priority seating, extra baggage allowances, or any of the other benefits that are provided to OW elites simply because their model and systems don't allow for it.
Exactly. It's nothing I want to experience just as I do not fly WN in the US for the same reasons.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Exactly. It's nothing I want to experience just as I do not fly WN in the US for the same reasons.
JQ is just an economy flight , though unlike QF ( though like AA ) they do not provide free drinks and food. Seating is pre-allocated and can be selected at booking time plus they do offer for a reasonable cost the ability to pay extra and get the extra legroom seats such as exit and row 1ABC

Being able to pre-book exits is better than QF domestic AU

Lounge access can be purchased for a reasonable cost

Also, if the flight isnt too busy for around $5 (iirc) can purchase the adjacent seat to get some extra space adjacent

The domestic NZ flights are pretty short and JQ is , ime, fine for it

Comparing with AA on domestic travel for AAdvantage members, AA doesn't provide lounge access or free food/drink on board in economy; hardly majorly different

Dave
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
JQ is just an economy flight , though unlike QF ( though like AA ) they do not provide free drinks and food. Seating is pre-allocated and can be selected at booking time plus they do offer for a reasonable cost the ability to pay extra and get the extra legroom seats such as exit and row 1ABC
Any cost above $0 is unreasonable to me.

Being able to pre-book exits is better than QF domestic AU
I don't believe in paying for exit row seats as an elite.

Lounge access can be purchased for a reasonable cost
If I'd already have lounge access, then any cost above $0 is unreasonable to me.

Also, if the flight isnt too busy for around $5 (iirc) can purchase the adjacent seat to get some extra space adjacent
A decent benefit.

The domestic NZ flights are pretty short and JQ is , ime, fine for it
No FF miles without paying through the nose makes that a deal-breaker for me.

Comparing with AA on domestic travel for AAdvantage members, AA doesn't provide lounge access or free food/drink on board in economy; hardly majorly different
AA: Free upgrades for EXP and sticker upgrades for other elites/full fare + free access to lounges for non-AA Oneworld Emerald/Sapphire or paid AA membership or same-day international J/F flight and/or OW Emerald/Sapphire

JQ: Upgrades? Free lounge access for Qantas Platinum only.

Conclusion: majorly different.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any cost above $0 is unreasonable to me.
I don't believe in paying for exit row seats as an elite.
Regular seats are free and you are not an elite with JQ. Even QF charges for exit row pre-selection where available internationally

If I'd already have lounge access, then any cost above $0 is unreasonable to me.
You wouldn't since Jetstar is not related to Oneworld

No FF miles without paying through the nose makes that a deal-breaker for me.
FF miles are not the be all and end all of travel

AA: Free upgrades for EXP and sticker upgrades for other elites/full fare + free access to lounges for non-AA Oneworld Emerald/Sapphire or paid AA membership or same-day international J/F flight and/or OW Emerald/Sapphire

JQ: Upgrades? Free lounge access for Qantas Platinum only.
Most people who travel do not have status with airlines and JQ is not imo majorly different than AA for those without status in what they offer though they do offer lounge access at a lower cost and they do allow purchase exit row seating

JQ isnt an airline with free for all seating etc; it is like travelling with any other airline
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:11 pm

Regular seats are free and you are not an elite with JQ. Even QF charges for exit row pre-selection where available internationally
I very much disagree with QF's practice. Thankfully, I have not had to worry about that.

You wouldn't since Jetstar is not related to Oneworld
Ah, but it is very much related to Qantas. As a WP, I can very much complain about that. As an EXP, I can peripherally complaint about it. Either way, I'd like to see JQ out and QF in (or back).

FF miles are not the be all and end all of travel
Sacrilege! Welcome to FlyerTalk. I'm Spiff, and I am a frequent flyer.

Most people who travel do not have status with airlines and JQ is not imo majorly different than AA for those without status in what they offer though they do offer lounge access at a lower cost and they do allow purchase exit row seating
I do have status. And I expect said status to do something for me when I fly an airline related to a major international airline that I do have status on. (QF) If I wanted a status-free experience, I'd choose to fly much differently.

JQ isnt an airline with free for all seating etc; it is like travelling with any other airline
Oh no. It's a discount carrier with a relationship with a supposedly premium airline. And while I might be able to get an assigned seat or slip someone $20 for lounge access, I consider such "perqs" to be very substandard compared to the perqs I receive when I fly an airline like QF, AA, or DL.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
This will probably be a codehsare at most. AA partners with airlines such as EVA, China Eastern, and Etihad, airlines that have no desire to join OW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.