Search

eVIPs - an unusable benefit for me...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
eVIPs - an unusable benefit for me...

Howdy,

I am really curious - how many of you folks allow eVIPs to pile up in your account until they expire.

Most of my eVIPs I give away to people, once in a while I manage to complete a trade (rare).

Drives me nuts that one of the biggest benefits AA has is worthless to me. Now it's worthless because I am a miser - if I paid cash for my airline tickets I would feel horrible when I have the miles to fly where I wish.

So I can't use a VIP - maybe I'm the only person on the planet who feels this way.

Yes - most years I give them away - only a few have expired in my account.

Back in the sticker days - AA would exchange them for me for miles. Which was nice, because I never used the stickers (gee - go figure).

I hate the fact that it's a violation of the TOS to swap VIPs.

So - am I alone? Does no one wish that AA would exchange them? Am I missing something - is there anything on earth I could do with them besides apply them to paid tickets?

I would love it if for 2eVIPS I could upgrade an award seat.

Heck - I'd love anything for them - but anything at all violates the TOS if I read it correctly.

Bah!

Keep the faith,

Pakse

p.s. Yes - that's me in CC; but I had 0 bites on any...so I've emailed my entire extended family about any future travel they have....like I do every year
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, BD GE
I use every single one of my evips and then some. Do you not buy international tickets in Y?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:58 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I use all mine and/or share some with my family and friends. They also work to Hawaii; I cannot be happier about my ability to use eVIPs.

Last edited by Spiff; Oct 13, 2010 at 10:18 am
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
I probably have given away 50% of my SWUs in the past two years and still feel it is a valuable benefit.

It seems to me that you do put more value in trading than goodwill.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah, it's not entirely clear what your situation is - *somebody* must be paying for some of your travel, or you wouldn't have the miles to fly where you wish. Do you qualify via short hop business trips?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:03 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Spiff
I use all mine an/ord share some with my family. They also work to Hawaii; I cannot be happier about my ability to use eVIPs.
Same here, they all work like magic and always gets cleared.. I only wish I had more
You can give them to me if you like

Cheers!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Most of our travel is domestic.

Except for 2 or 3 international trips a year. But I do agree, I wouldn't mind trading for something.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
We determine the number of international trips each year based on how many SWUs we have. Then we decide where to go

Cheers.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM+, Lifetime PLT, Admirals Club
How can you be earning eVIPs if you're not flying on paid tickets? It's impossible. And only EXPs earn VIPS. And you can only be EXP if you fly BIS 100K miles. Therefore, you have countless opportunities each year to use them. Yes, you are the only person on the planet who flies AA that has an issue with them. Everyone else cannot get enough of them.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:33 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wildaboutmovies
How can you be earning eVIPs if you're not flying on paid tickets? It's impossible. And only EXPs earn VIPS. And you can only be EXP if you fly BIS 100K miles. Therefore, you have countless opportunities each year to use them. Yes, you are the only person on the planet who flies AA that has an issue with them. Everyone else cannot get enough of them.
Hmmm...what if one flew primarily for work, and they paid for F, domestic and international? How would you use the upgrades then? The cockpit, maybe? And what if any personal travel you did on top of that was on awards where SWUs cannot be used? Not so impossible after all.

Cheers.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by wildaboutmovies
How can you be earning eVIPs if you're not flying on paid tickets? It's impossible.
Credit card spend? You don't need to fly to reach 2MM and get systemwides at that level or subsequent MM levels.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Although probably not many flyers like this, but if one attains EXP status solely on domestic travel and only travels domestically (in AA terms) he/she is likely being upgraded most of the time by complimentary EXP upgrades. Particularly, if one tends to book early.

Unless you have others to give eVIPs/SWUs to, yes for this type of EXP the eVips do not have real value. Perhaps, AA should allow EXPs to trade back eVips for miles but again this likely impacts a small percentage of EXPs.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Solution: pay for a deep-discount international Y fare, apply SWU, think of it as a "$3000 off on J" coupon. Maybe that'll satisfy your miserly instincts

Programs: AA ExPlat
Hmm -- I'm flying to NRT from LAX tomorrow in business, upgraded from coach, on a ticket purchased two days ago. I'm pretty darn happy!

If one were bouncing around the US on ERJs, I suppose the SWUs would be less useful...
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
With the two 2x eqm promos last year and 125k bonus, I got 12 evips (8 by the end of August). With the aid of Expertflyer, I didn't purchase my intl flights until I knew that C class was available--though some of the flights were close to a year away. This year, I've already re-qualified for exp, and have already booked two rt intl flights (but since these were only 4 months in the future), I used two at the time of booking, I'm waiting for two of the segments to come through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.