Wiki Posts
Search

EXP - other ways to qualify?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:54 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

EXP - other ways to qualify?

So, the wife and I have been EXP for the last 5 years. The wife needs to stop traveling this month (we're having a new future EXP member ....we're having a baby). She will probably be about 15k miles short of EXP this year. Aside from doing a mileage run (which the doctor has advised against), is there any way for her to get to qualify for EXP this year?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Congrats on the baby!

The only official, documented way to get EXP (unless AA offers the Prepaid Travel Card again) is to fly enough to earn 100k EQMs, 100k EQPs, and/or 100 segments on eligible flights.

BUT......you might try calling AAdvantage Customer Service and explaining the situation. You could see if they might be willing to offer her an extension/exception. Here are some things that might improve her chances:

1) if she has a very high EQP:EQM ratio (i.e. tends to buy expensive full-fare tickets)
2) if she is a current CK member or was in the past
3) if she holds a high-profile or high-level job in a major corporation in which she is in a position to affect the travel decisions of many others (i.e. CEO, VP of Travel, etc.)
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:04 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
So, you're asking if there's a way to get EXP other than attaining the appropriate number of miles/points/segments? No, there isn't.

Also, may I suggest useful thread titles as it makes it easier to know what you're asking.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Congrats on the new family edition! All the best. ^

Unfortunately, doing what is necessary to re-qualify for EXP all involve flying - segments, BIS miles or points.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thread retitled, to meet TOS.

Your wife will fall back to Platinum, a nice feature of the AAdvantage program, as there is no other way to claim EP/EXP than making it the usual ways - and frankly, I have to admit I would not be in favor of AA granting mercy status for less than a catastrophic reason for not making status this calendar year.

Enjoy your status; your wife can still benefit from your status when she accompanies you (e.g. Flagship Lounge when departing for authorized overseas destinations,) and still earns 100% bonus miles, etc. in 2011 as Platinum. Congratulations to the two of yo on your "new addition" to your family!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by JDiver
Your wife will fall back to Platinum, a nice feature of the AAdvantage program
Good point. If she were a UA flyer and did not get that 50K in she'd drop down to "general member". Even if she didn't fly anything this year AA has a soft landing and doesn't take you to the bottom.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Your wife will fall back to Platinum, a nice feature of the AAdvantage program,
She will fall back to Platinum because she's earned it (15K short of EXP is already a Platinum), and not because AA has a nice feature (soft landing?). Correct?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You're quite right, of course - but AA offers a soft landing in any case, and I think it's worth acknowledging.

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
She will fall back to Platinum because she's earned it (15K short of EXP is already a Platinum), and not because AA has a nice feature (soft landing?). Correct?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:01 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Under rare conditions exceptions have been made. I'm aware of at least two:
  1. An ExP member for several years missed by more than 10K due to canceling a Dec RT USA to India after the 2008 Mumbai attacks. ExP for for 2009 was given (no EQM or EQP were given).
  2. An ExP given EQM credit (no EQP) for flights canceled by AA (tickets were refunded). The additional EQM (significant number) was enough to cross the 100K EQM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Pre EXP a former boss of mine was in the same situation with his wife. He had met Mike Gunn, then SVP Marketing from AA at a conference. He sent a brief, nice note explaining they were both Plats (top level at that time and his wife would be short due to the new Plat on the way). Not only did she get her Plat extended but they got a nice gift box of captain's wings, a kiddy plane and other stuff. I would certainly consider a brief note to either the CEO or CMO ([email protected]). The worst they can say is no, but I find AA execs are pretty responsive and do a great job responding to reasonable requests. In fact, my ex-boss received a call from Mr. Gunn's office within a week of his letter to acknowledge the receipt and say it would be a pleasure to extend his wife's status under the circumstances.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM+, Lifetime PLT, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Pre EXP a former boss of mine was in the same situation with his wife. He had met Mike Gunn, then SVP Marketing from AA at a conference. He sent a brief, nice note explaining they were both Plats (top level at that time and his wife would be short due to the new Plat on the way). Not only did she get her Plat extended but they got a nice gift box of captain's wings, a kiddy plane and other stuff. I would certainly consider a brief note to either the CEO or CMO ([email protected]). The worst they can say is no, but I find AA execs are pretty responsive and do a great job responding to reasonable requests. In fact, my ex-boss received a call from Mr. Gunn's office within a week of his letter to acknowledge the receipt and say it would be a pleasure to extend his wife's status under the circumstances.
Agree 100% about emails to AA Executives. Their exec. assistants have always replied via PHONE same day of my emails, even when one was on a Saturday. Granted, I've only contacted 2 execs, a total of about 5 times but, still...
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
I would completely agree that you have nothing to lose by calling the EXP desk. Actually, I think you should call this number: 800-333-2412. That number is the line for AA customer service reps that deal with EXP issues, to my knowledge. And yes, in some circumstances, they will make exceptions--the fact that your wife has been an EXP for so long would be, IMO, a compelling factor--not to mention the fact that she literally cannot fly this year, when I'm sure she otherwise would have.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by pnsnkr
Both are correct. In the case of you wife, she has 85K miles, so she has already qualified for PLT. However, at present, there is also the "soft landing" status demotion which means that an EXP doesn't meet the reqs, s/he becomes PLT - whether they've flown 85K or 8K miles in the qualifying year. The following year that PLT falls to GLD, and then finally to no status.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
I also agree with the "doesn't hurt to ask" mantra. Although you may also consider whether it is even worth it. If you are having a baby, odds are your wife will be out of flying for at least a little while (I'm presuming she is in the last trimester by your "doctor says she cannot fly" comment), making the use of EXP less, and requal next year even harder than this year.

Of course, if you want her to requal so she can give you her SWUs, then that's a whole different story.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hilton Gold; Marriott Platinum; AA 2+MM; National Exec Elite
agree. you don't get what you don't ask for. Congrats on the upcoming addition to the family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.