Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA granted LAX-PVG - begins Apr 2011, new times

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
AA granted LAX-PVG - begins Apr 2011, new times

American Airlines Seeks Authority to Operate Daily Nonstop Flights From Los Angeles to Shanghai, China, in 2011

New Flights Complement American's Chicago-Shanghai and Chicago-Beijing Service FORT WORTH, Texas, Oct 01, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- American Airlines, a founding member of the oneworld(R) Alliance, today filed an application with the United States Department of Transportation seeking authority to launch nonstop service from Los Angeles International Airport to Pudong International Airport in Shanghai, China, beginning April 5, 2011.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...104163023.html

I'm curious to know where the slot will come from, possibly the US PHL-China unused allocation?

Last edited by ORDSteve; Oct 1, 2010 at 12:09 pm
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by ORDSteve
American Airlines Seeks Authority to Operate Daily Nonstop Flights From Los Angeles to Shanghai, China, in 2011

New Flights Complement American's Chicago-Shanghai and Chicago-Beijing Service FORT WORTH, Texas, Oct 01, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- American Airlines, a founding member of the oneworld(R) Alliance, today filed an application with the United States Department of Transportation seeking authority to launch nonstop service from Los Angeles International Airport to Pudong International Airport in Shanghai, China, beginning April 5, 2011.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...104163023.html

I thought the China rights slots for U.S. carriers in this time frame have all been assigned.
I know US air decided not to use the one they have, yet, from Philadelphia.
Is AA asking for this slot or did something else become available.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Told you guys LAX-PVG was on its way. There's another trans-Pac route that will hopefully start around the same time...

The schedule, oddly missing from the PR:

AA 183 LAX 1205-1635 PVG 772 Daily
AA 182 PVG 1835-1525 LAX 772 Daily

Originally Posted by zman
I thought the China rights slots for U.S. carriers in this time frame have all been assigned.
I know US air decided not to use the one they have, yet, from Philadelphia.
Is AA asking for this slot or did something else become available.
There are over 50 unallocated U.S.-China slots available. In addition to the ones returned to DOT by US Airways, new frequencies became available in 2010 and more frequencies will become available in 2011 that nobody has applied for. Plus Delta and United have dormant frequencies.

Last edited by MAH4546; Oct 1, 2010 at 12:20 pm
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
great news ^^

for some reason i thought UA went to several asian destinations from LAX but now i see it's only tokyo. they serve the rest of them from sfo (hong kong, beijing, shanghai, ho chi minh, osaka, etc). good time for AA to move in to LAX with asia destinations, especially with the 5-city cornerstone strategy. now i'd just like to see AA start serving NEW destinations, not just new routes.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by mmjaysee
now i'd just like to see AA start serving NEW destinations, not just new routes.
You might get that wish on Wednesday...fingers crossed...
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Not bad, not bad news at all. ^

YVR (not AS codeshare but AA's own metal), CDG, PEK, and ICN would be nice too from the West Coast. Especially LAX-YVR is a big missing link in OW between the two largest cities on the West Coast of the US and Canada.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Good to see more international routes, but agreed need new destinations. Come on AArpey, get us HKG
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Does this mean that possible axe the ORD-PEK?
Also, come on, AA. ORD-HKG. You will get screwed if JL is quitting OW.
CX in HKG will get you a lot of place in Asia.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by yuchung5
Does this mean that possible axe the ORD-PEK?
Also, come on, AA. ORD-HKG. You will get screwed if JL is quitting OW.
CX in HKG will get you a lot of place in Asia.
How on earth does it mean a possible axe for PEK? Not only is ORD-PEK not being axed, but don't be shocked if LAX-PEK in 2012.

Furthermore, considering AA and JAL are about to enter into a billion dollar plus merger of their trans-Pacific operations, I'm pretty sure there is no concern about losing JAL.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Told you guys LAX-PVG was on its way. There's another trans-Pac route that will hopefully start around the same time...

There are over 50 unallocated U.S.-China slots available. In addition to the ones returned to DOT by US Airways, new frequencies became available in 2010 and more frequencies will become available in 2011 that nobody has applied for. Plus Delta and United have dormant frequencies.
Bring on more flights to China. It will make it easier to upgrade from Ord-PVG.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Great times for me as well. What is the other TPAC route?

Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by chanp
Great times for me as well. What is the other TPAC route?
If we're looking at new destinations as hinted, I'd put my money on ICN. Wednesday isn't too long to wait and find out though ...
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great News

Finally some love from AA for us west coast trans-pac flyers. I hope they can build up LAX to challenge UA at SFO for West Coast to Asia on a USA based airline. Hopefully the next announcement will be a LAX-HKG flight or perhaps a return to TPE.

AA should have no problem competing against China Eastern as the only non-stops on the PVG route from LA.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by EXP4ME
If we're looking at new destinations as hinted, I'd put my money on ICN. Wednesday isn't too long to wait and find out though ...
I too would be excited if ICN was added, but AA could've made ICN much more attractive had it flown there sooner and kept/wooed OZ into OW when it had the chance; look at all the possible connections to Asia we could've had if OZ was in OW instead of *A
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:02 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
I'm surprised they didn't take the departure slot from 288 PVG-ORD and move it to allow 182 to get into LAX earlier. With a 1525 arrival it will be inside the MCT for 180 - the 16:15 departure back to JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.