Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not how I read it from the upgrade table. It shows 12.5k to upgrade to PE and 12.5 k to upgrade to business from premium economy for North America to Europe ( http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...rades/main.jsp )

Seems a reasonable deal for upgrading to business
Unless something has changed you can't do a two class upgrade.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by bernardd
Never mind!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bernardd
The linked table shows a full fare economy to business option at 25,000 miles.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by circuslights
With my flying pattern, I'm very pleased with these changes.

I'll earn redeemable miles faster, and I'll hit EXP much faster (I'm going to get there, for the first time, at the end of November this year, but had BA been awarding miles at these rates all year, I'd have got there in June.)

The award changes don't impact me that much - I typically redeem miles once a year, for two business class tickets to Australia (ex UK) so these changes will make the tickets very slightly more expensive.

It still looks like it's easier for a economy flying UK based person, it's much easier to get to EXP than BA Gold. But, it now looks like a non-UK flyer will get BA Gold much faster than AA EXP. For us UK based flyers, BA Executive Club only makes sense if you fly in premium cabins.
BA "Eurocheats" quite routinely acquired/retained BA OW Emerald status a lot faster than is the case to acquire/retain AA EXP.

[If it weren't for the AA EXP systemwide upgrades, my use of AA's program would plummet as a result of these changes and my use of BA's program would take its place (to some degree) -- not sure that AA would care even if large volumes did this, given the government-enabled collusion allowed to AA and BA.]

For AA customers, an AA redemption using BA-operated flights means higher fuel surcharges and more government taxes, while BA redemptions remain as is (for now) excepting the additional way around fuel surcharges (by using BA miles for AA flights)?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by rfrost
But those are only off full-fare tickets, which to me is the bigger issue.
I am hoping this is not a signal that BA is going to restrict BAEC MFU's to CW to full fare Premium Economy tickets.
The only mention of full fare is in relation to economy, not premium economy.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Mark_T
The linked table shows a full fare economy to business option at 25,000 miles.
Down below the table there's an * mentioning BA upgrades from economy are valid to premium economy, where available.

I think the full fare economy to business 25k upgrade is for IB.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Down below the table there's an * mentioning BA upgrades from economy are valid to premium economy, where available.

I think the full fare economy to business 25k upgrade is for IB.
I dug a little further and I think the answer is in the Q&A section :

Q. When will a "From Economy to Premium Economy" vs. a "From Economy to Business" upgrade apply?
A. The award needed is based on the itinerary and the cabin configuration of the flights you wish to upgrade. If the longest flight segment you wish to upgrade has a Premium Economy cabin, the "From Economy to Premium Economy upgrade applies.

So on BA flights which have a Premium Economy cabin you will not be able to upgrade form Economy to Business, you would have to buy a Premium Economy fare and upgrade from there.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
So, it seems the only upside for AA flyers is earning miles on BA/IB when putting down the $$.

Miles redemption, not so much. No need to keep that chart handy.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:33 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That's just a return to what used to be the case for AA elites flying BA. Only this time, it came back without being applicable to AA Golds.
So, there was a time when AA elites could earn EQM for BA TATL flights, and that went away, and this is just a return to the status quo? That was before my time flying AA but it sucks that they only gave back what we had before with regard to BA TATL flights.

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Mark_T
So on BA flights which have a Premium Economy cabin you will not be able to upgrade form Economy to Business, you would have to buy a Premium Economy fare and upgrade from there.
My guess is the Economy -> Business upgrade rate applies to IB - there is no BA long haul service that doesn't have WT+.

Also, all the notes etc. seem to suggest you can't upgrade discount WT+ fares (BA's T bucket) using AA miles, but (again, unless there's a nasty surprise lurking) you can still upgrade BA 'T' fares using BA miles, which generates sigh of relief amongst BAEC members.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by brp
So, there was a time when AA elites could earn EQM for BA TATL flights, and that went away, and this is just a return to the status quo? That was before my time flying AA but it sucks that they only gave back what we had before with regard to BA TATL flights.
I believe GUWonder was referring to earning elite status bonus miles on BA, which used to be possible until a year or 2 ago.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Abidjan
So, it seems the only upside for AA flyers is earning miles on BA/IB when putting down the $$.

Miles redemption, not so much. No need to keep that chart handy.
Exactly right.

It's funny how a few days people were speculating that the only thing this joint venture accomplished is that all of AA's flights to LHR would be empty. Now i'd venture to say the exact opposite. AA's flights to LHR will have all the AA elites plus the BA elites who now get to come to the US without paying $300 for a coach "award" ticket and even more for a premium class award ticket.

And even though I go SFO-LHR a few times per year, I'll stick with AA instead of the non-stop on BA cause I want to be able to use the SWU.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by spanishflea
The only mention of full fare is in relation to economy, not premium economy.
See the 3d paragraph of text above the table. It also restricts AA mileage-based UGs from J to F to full fare tickets, but that one is not really an issue for me.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by brp
I was refering to how AA elites were earning elite bonuses (i.e. good toward award ticket redemptions) for BA flights that would credit to AA accounts.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:46 am

Upgrades are a joke.

However for your average flying-economy-to-Europe PLT type this is not so bad. Unless you are going somewhere major, you connect. Connecting AA-BA in LHR is something I do many times a year. Now, we have the option of BA-BA with exactly the same earning and elite bonus. Differences would be:

BA-BA vs AA-BA
+ Better lounges BA in the US
+ NO BUS AT LHR!!!
+ Free booze on board
+ Shorter MCT at LHR (60 vs 120 minutes)
- Pay for exit row seat

So, other than the exit row seat issue, why take AA as a PLAT? Obviously Golds lose the elite bonus, and EXPLATS loose the ability to use EVIPS but PLATS don't really seem to lose anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.