Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA adds rules specifically prohibiting Duplicate and Fraudulent reservations

Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The following was added to ATPCO RULES TEXT AA1-0065AA (TICKETS) - A. GENERAL paragraph 3
d. Duplicate or impossible/illogical American Airlines reservations are prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines. A duplicate or impossible/illogical reservation includes, but is not limited to: reservations for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as JFKDFW and LGADFW or DFWLAX and DFWONT); or reservations with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight.

e. Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive reservations are prohibited. These types of reservations are defined as any reservation made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger. Additionally, creating reservations to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, upgrades that may not otherwise by available or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines.
In addition, the following paragraph has been modified to include the new definitions (above) of Duplicate or Impossible/Illogical reservations, or Fraudulent/Fictitious/Abusive reservations:
f. Where a Ticket is purchased and used in violation of the Contract of Carriage or any fare Rule (including Hidden Cities Ticketing, Point Beyond Ticketing, Throwaway Ticketing, Back-to-Back Ticketing, Duplicate or Impossible/Illogical reservations, or Fraudulent/Fictitious/Abusive reservations), AA has the right In its sole discretion to take all actions permitted by law, including but not limited to, the following:
i. Invalidate the Ticket(s)’
ii. Cancel any remaining portion of the Passenger’s itinerary;
iii. Confiscate any unused Flight Coupons;
iv. Refuse to board the Passenger and to carry the Passenger’s baggage, unless the difference between the fare paid and the fare for the transportation used is collected prior to boarding.

Last edited by hillrider; Sep 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm Reason: Fixed bad use of [quote]
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the info.

It would seem that making a second reservation while a first is on hold to see if one can get the same fare, and then canceling for first (if successful) may not be covered by this since none of the "actions" apply. Or, more accurately, the "not limited to" could include something for this, but it doesn't seem to be what they're targeting.

I also assume that booking tricks that generate "bookable" itineraries on other sites (Expedia, Orbitz, etc.) but not on AA couldn't be deemed fraudulent by this language since it's a real, bookable,fare somewhere.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Would also seem to be designed to address this situation:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ecure-swu.html
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by brp
Thanks for the info.

It would seem that making a second reservation while a first is on hold to see if one can get the same fare, and then canceling for first (if successful) may not be covered by this since none of the "actions" apply. Or, more accurately, the "not limited to" could include something for this, but it doesn't seem to be what they're targeting.

I also assume that booking tricks that generate "bookable" itineraries on other sites (Expedia, Orbitz, etc.) but not on AA couldn't be deemed fraudulent by this language since it's a real, bookable,fare somewhere.

Cheers.
There's no reason to believe that AA is looking to catch passengers on technicalities. While oftentimes aa.com will not permit you to book a second reservation before canceling the first, on those occasions where the system lets you do so, I'm sure that AA's not gonna come after you if in fact you go back and cancel the first reservation (or just let it expire at the end of the day). AA simply wants to have language in its COC that makes it clear that true abusive practices are not permitted, and that it reserves the right to take appropriate action when they're detected.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:07 pm

I wonder if they'll cancel reservations if we paid an illogically high price. IE you buy a ticket for $1000, the price drops to $600. Logically, who would buy a $1000 ticket when the price is now $600?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:07 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
There's no reason to believe that AA is looking to catch passengers on technicalities.
I agree, which is why I said just that

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by hillrider
The following was added...
Thanks for posting this hillrider.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
There's no reason to believe that AA is looking to catch passengers on technicalities. While oftentimes aa.com will not permit you to book a second reservation before canceling the first, on those occasions where the system lets you do so, I'm sure that AA's not gonna come after you if in fact you go back and cancel the first reservation (or just let it expire at the end of the day). AA simply wants to have language in its COC that makes it clear that true abusive practices are not permitted, and that it reserves the right to take appropriate action when they're detected.
They will cancel a duplicate reservation even if aa.com lets you put them on hold. I was told the system actively searches for anything resembling duplicate reservations and then automatically cancels one of them it finds it.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chi1k
I was told the system actively searches for anything resembling duplicate reservations and then automatically cancels one of them it finds it.
Presumably that would be the same system that assigns seats at the opposite end of the cabin when you are upgraded with your companion?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
They will cancel a duplicate reservation even if aa.com lets you put them on hold. I was told the system actively searches for anything resembling duplicate reservations and then automatically cancels one of them it finds it.
Specifically, I believe, the system will cancel the older reservation while keeping the newer on intact.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
The system does actively search for what it considers to be duplicate reservations and will cancel one, although in my most recent experience (last week), it was the newer reservation which was canceled. Unfortunately, the system has a very broad view of "duplicate." In our case, we had on hold STL-ORD-LHR and a few hours later put on hold DFW-STL departing earlier the same day. There were 5 or so hours between the the arrival of DFW-STL and the departure of STL-ORD, but the system canceled DFW-STL anyway.

This is all off-topic, though, (imo) as none of the above is really relevant to the point being made in the post you quoted.

(Yes, the system canceled our reservations as duplicates, but I am not concerned that AA considered them to be fraudulent and will be coming after us.)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
it was the newer reservation which was canceled.
My experience mirrors your post (and I'm not a bit surprised).
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
While a lot of my mileage runs appear "illogical" to most people, it appears they are safe under the quoted terms.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
I liked the implication that impossible reservations are permitted with prior AA approval.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
I liked the implication that impossible reservations are permitted with prior AA approval.
Well, I think in case of irrops AA may want to reserve the right to add 'impossible' segments to a reservation to protect the pax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.