Wiki Posts
Search

Flight rescheduled question?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Flight rescheduled question?

I flew AA from PHL - EYW (Key West) a few weeks ago with a connection in Miami. Trip was booked in December using BA miles through Chase BA Card deal. Apparently I overlooked an e-mail sent in June advising me some of my flights were resceduled - here is what happened:

1) It looks like AA cancelled the flight I originally booked from MIA - EYW so I was moved to the next scheduled flight about an hour later- no big deal.

2) Same story returning - the flight from MIA - PHL left about 1/2 hour later than my original flight - again no problem.

3) Here is the curious part. AA changed my flight from EYW - MIA to one leaving almost two hours earlier even though it still had the later flight. So the net effect was a 3 1/2 hour layover in MIA instead of 1 1/2 hours.

Unfortunately I did not notice #3 until printing out my boarding passes at the hotel in the morning, which led to over an hour of phone calls with AA and BA both of whom initially claimed they could not move me to the later flight without me going to the airport to cancel the boarding pass. As it happened I had an appointment in Key West otherwise I probably would have bit the bullet and taken the earlier flight.

Does this seem unusual? The only scenario I could come up with that makes sense is that AA wanted to cancel the later flight out of EYW (it was only half full) so it moved everyone to the earlier one (like #1 above) but then had to add again it due to demand.

I e-mailed them the question and of course will scrutize my itinerary much more carefully next time - just wondering what the FFs here think.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
I flew AA from PHL - EYW (Key West) a few weeks ago with a connection in Miami. Trip was booked in December using BA miles through Chase BA Card deal. Apparently I overlooked an e-mail sent in June advising me some of my flights were resceduled - here is what happened:

1) It looks like AA cancelled the flight I originally booked from MIA - EYW so I was moved to the next scheduled flight about an hour later- no big deal.

2) Same story returning - the flight from MIA - PHL left about 1/2 hour later than my original flight - again no problem.

3) Here is the curious part. AA changed my flight from EYW - MIA to one leaving almost two hours earlier even though it still had the later flight. So the net effect was a 3 1/2 hour layover in MIA instead of 1 1/2 hours.

Unfortunately I did not notice #3 until printing out my boarding passes at the hotel in the morning, which led to over an hour of phone calls with AA and BA both of whom initially claimed they could not move me to the later flight without me going to the airport to cancel the boarding pass. As it happened I had an appointment in Key West otherwise I probably would have bit the bullet and taken the earlier flight.

Does this seem unusual? The only scenario I could come up with that makes sense is that AA wanted to cancel the later flight out of EYW (it was only half full) so it moved everyone to the earlier one (like #1 above) but then had to add again it due to demand.

I e-mailed them the question and of course will scrutize my itinerary much more carefully next time - just wondering what the FFs here think.
My thoughts are that they rebooked you on a flight that currently had award availability.
That, is, when they canceled your flight on the return. They rebooked both flights on the return. Had you spotted this earlier, you might have been able to get them to change it.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
My thoughts are that they rebooked you on a flight that currently had award availability.
That, is, when they canceled your flight on the return. They rebooked both flights on the return. Had you spotted this earlier, you might have been able to get them to change it.
Thanks. Actually we were able to get them to change it - it just took some doing. The BA rep saw reward seat availability on the later flight from EYW but I'm sure that doesn't mean they were available in June when they changed the flights.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
AA is very accomodating when contacted on time

about changes to your itinerary caused by them. But since you already printed your boarding passes, the change had to be done physically at the airport.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Apparently I overlooked an e-mail sent in June advising me some of my flights were resceduled - here is what happened:
I know you now realize that's the key. AA is usually very flexible in rescheduling when they make a change that's more than 90 minutes.

Last edited by videomaker; Sep 28, 2010 at 8:07 am
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:04 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
As for why they put on the flight they did even though they still had the original flight, a couple of questions:

Was it the "same" original flight- same time, same flight number?
Did it ever go away at some point (hard to know, of course)?

If it really was exactly the same and never went away, it is odd. If there was even a slight change, it is just AA. I have a feeling that an automated system handles this. We've had this happen as well. Flight goes away, and another flight appears with a different number and about 5 or 10 minutes earlier. We end up on the one two hours later. I blame IT.

Of course, a quick call early fixes this, so they're willing to work around their system if it's caught in time.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
As for why they put on the flight they did even though they still had the original flight, a couple of questions:

Was it the "same" original flight- same time, same flight number?
Did it ever go away at some point (hard to know, of course)?

If it really was exactly the same and never went away, it is odd. If there was even a slight change, it is just AA. I have a feeling that an automated system handles this. We've had this happen as well. Flight goes away, and another flight appears with a different number and about 5 or 10 minutes earlier. We end up on the one two hours later. I blame IT.

Of course, a quick call early fixes this, so they're willing to work around their system if it's caught in time.

Cheers.
My original flight from EYW - MIA was AA4938 departing Key West at 6:45PM and I was changed to AA4936 departing Key West at 5:35 PM. That was part of my confusion 4936 now leaves at 5:00PM and 4938 now leaves at 7:20PM although I think on my departure date it was scheduled to leave at6:55 PM.

My original MIA - PHL flight was scheduled to leave at 8:50 and I was rescheduled to leave at 9:30 so I should have had enough time to connect even if my EYW flight left at the latest time but of course I have no idea what the flights and times were when I was switched in June.

I did e-mail AA support so I will tell everyone how they respond.

Thanks for the replies - of course I will pay more attention in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.