Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

All Emergency Exit Row and Premium seats gone? [Systemwide Glitch - RESOLVED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Emergency Exit Row and Premium seats gone? [Systemwide Glitch - RESOLVED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ddttnt
I am ExecPlat <snip>
Just got off the phone with a "Plat" CSR ...
Don't understand why you called the Platinum number if you were Executive Platinum.

OK, so maybe I wasn't that condescending after all....
It is possible to be correct and condescending at the same time - they are not mutually exclusive.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Glad its a system issue. Booked as EXP through a travel agency (company policy) SJC-DFW-SJO on 10/4-10/8; yesterday, exit row seats (indeed most seats on the plane) were freely available but I didn't have time to actually pick seats online.

Today: exit rows gone; the few seats showing open were at the back on every segment.

Strange indeed. Hopefully will be resolved shortly
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
Had a reservation hold and booked in exit row, I cancelled reservation and rebooked ticket and none of the front of the cabin was available. The exit row seats were also not available. When I called EXP desk, I was informed that all the seats were taken. I asked how this is possible and she just said that I wasn't able to get the seat back. Of course I will call back later, but it had me worried that they are holding all these seats for their new pay to fly closer to the front seats. I sure hope this is not the case!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
It looks like this is affecting all premium seats, including a huge chunk of the plane on some flights on routes between hubs such as ORD-DFW, I'm pretty confident they would not get away with selling seats in row 17 on an MD80 so I'm fairly confident this is a system glitch, I just hope it gets sorted soon so I can find out whether the flights I'm currently trying to book are actually full in rows 21 (763) and 31 (777)!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, Hillton Gold, Marriot Silver, United 2P
I had this same problem this morning with a DFW-DCA trip booked late next month. Very rarely is this route so full, so early.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Has anyone experiencing this called Web Services?

U.S. or Canada
1-800-222-2377
6:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m. CT daily
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM+, Lifetime PLT, Admirals Club
No More PURPLE seats

I am logged in to my EXP account and am trying to secure seats - and for 4 flights that I have PAID for and have etickets for - there are NO purple seats or EXIT ROW seats available from which to choose from on any of the four flights, in either direction and in most of the cases the planes are still virtually empty, with dozens upon dozens of empty seats. So, yes, there is a huge bug in the system today.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Just got off the phone with web services, and they said it's a systemwide AA outage, and not an aa.com problem. A CSR was able to call someone with my seat requests (her helpdesk), and the helpdesk was able to do the seat assignments. The CSR could only see the same seatmap I saw from aa.com, but her helpdesk could see the "real" seatmap.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, UA GLD, Marriott GLD, Hyatt GLD
Made a reservation this morning, and was surprised to see that bulkhead and exit rows were all assigned on my flights more than a month from today. Then came across this thread.

I called the Exec Plat desk, asked to be transferred to web services. The rep there tried the 'must be a busy travel day' routine. I asked her to look for the same flight any day over the next couple months (as I had). Finally she agreed that 'something's wrong' and put me on hold for a few minutes.

Came back and conceded a glitch. She was then able to assign both bulkhead and exit row seats to my reservation. She was apologetic about the situation, but could not provide an ETC as to when this might be resolved.

Towards that end, I think the more of us that call in, the better...
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Plat
5 min call

Booked a LAX-MIA this morning and had the same issue. EXP agent was able to solve it very quickly. She also mentioned it was a systems problem that all the agents were aware of it.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by cparekh
The CSR could only see the same seatmap I saw from aa.com, but her helpdesk could see the "real" seatmap.
Maybe that would explain this part of the OP.

I figured out that there was something wrong with my FFN so I called the res line. She tells me that all the seats have been taken. She was so smug to tell me that they have been "selling seats like crazy" even for the next summer. Clearly she was full of it.....rather insulting to expect anyone to buy this story. Not in a million years would all seats be gone. I have not seen all emergency exit rows seats book for a week out - never mind a year out. How insulting.... or dumb on her part.
Not that it's unusual for first-time posters to rant on FT. But assuming that an AAgent was "clearly full of it" and "insulting" or "dumb" when they are working with the information at hand (apparently due to a system glitch) is a bit over the top, IMO.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad to see that others are having the same problem.

I just finally made Gold this week - first time I've had status.

So I logged in to get better seats, and there are no purples. I figured it just meant that even though it says Gold, that something else hadn't updated. But if it's a systemwide issue, so much the better.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Not that it's unusual for first-time posters to rant on FT. But assuming that an AAgent was "clearly full of it" and "insulting" or "dumb" when they are working with the information at hand (apparently due to a system glitch) is a bit over the top, IMO.
--------------
This is the reason why I didn't bother posting over the last 10 years. There is always someone who will criticize you here.

If I provided the agent with the evidence that it was impossible to choose an emergency exit row seat on ALL flights, her many years of experience on EXP desk should have made her realize that this was beyond unlikely. She either didn't care or didn't want to think. So to say that she was working with information at hand may be applicable to a government worker whose job description is not to think. While in 95% cases I find EXP agents are the most pleasant of any travel related folk (except for maybe Fairmont Platinum desk - there are I think 3 or 4 ladies working there) - occasionally you get someone who just won't care. So she must have known or should have known. It is beyond irritating to me when someone knows that they are wrong, but because there is nothing I can do they can keep insisting that their story was right. I didn't assume that she was full of it - it was beyond certain she was full of it.

Anyway happy flying to all of you - I am signing OFF this website.

Thanks for having AA fix this....

Now if you could only have them clean the planes
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Looks like the exit rows and purples are available/visible again.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beerup
Looks like the exit rows and purples are available/visible again.
Thanks for the heads-up. Just checked the site and indeed looks like its back to normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.