Wiki Posts
Search

How much wind can an ERJ135 take?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
How much wind can an ERJ135 take?

We're scheduled to fly stl-jfk-mxp on Saturday. I know that no one can tell me what will happen on Saturday weatherwise or AAwise but I hope that maybe some of you folks with a lot more knowledge and experience can educate me a bit about these little jets that we are now having to take out of STL.

The forecast at present for JFK is for wind gusts of 45 mph on Saturday. I need to anticipate how likely it is that our flight will be cancelled if that forecast holds and create plans B, C, D, etc. I'd really appreciate information about what kinds of weather these little guys can and can't take.

Thanks much.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt AA-Plat 0.1MM AMTK-Select IHG-Gold
I need a little more data: the direction of the wind. If the 45 kt wind is aligned with the runway, it does not matter. Just a little more power is needed to descend.

However, if the wind is blowing across the runway, then either other runways are used or your flight will be cancelled or diverted.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by NWAMileageSlave
I need a little more data: the direction of the wind. If the 45 kt wind is aligned with the runway, it does not matter. Just a little more power is needed to descend.

However, if the wind is blowing across the runway, then either other runways are used or your flight will be cancelled or diverted.
You need to do a search for 'maximum demonstrated crosswind component' for this aircraft. See if you get any results.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
Just my 2 cents... JFK quite typically is a disaster when any weather hits. I think you have a good shot at significant delays even if your flight does not get canceled.

If it were me, I'd look to Plan B. Saturday still falls under the AA hurricane travel advisory, so you can make changes to your flights without penalty. I'd consider changing to STL-ORD/DFW-LHR-MXP just to avoid the mess completely. YMMV
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
The ERJ isn't any different operationally than any other plane... the issue is JFK. In good times JFK is marginal... in bad times JFK borders on nightmare.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Spot on. Bwana Google reveals "The EMB-145 has a max demonstrated crosswind component of 30 knots". (N.B. In dry runway conditions.)

Of course, knowing that means nothing, unless one knows winds velocity and direction... at the time of landing.

Originally Posted by UKAAFAN
You need to do a search for 'maximum demonstrated crosswind component' for this aircraft. See if you get any results.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 2, 2010 at 10:47 pm Reason: edit / add note
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

OK, the takeaway message so far is that we wouldn't be any better off with a larger aircraft into LGA, transferring to JFK. We'd be better off with another set of flights entirely--which I had almost chosen when booking way back when (when Earl was just a name in a list of hurricane names to be used this season) but there were those good TATL seats and a good connection . . .darn it.

Thanks. Sigh.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by dia1
OK, the takeaway message so far is that we wouldn't be any better off with a larger aircraft into LGA, transferring to JFK. We'd be better off with another set of flights entirely...

Very possibly. But YMMV. According to Wunderground, it looks like the highest winds will be from 3-9 PM, again YMMV as to the effects from the weather. What you do all depends on your risk tolerance and the uncomfortable feeling that gives you versus the uncomfortable feeling the new seats might give you.

Again, YMMV, but Earl's forecast seems to be further East than when I checked this afternoon. It may miss Long Island altogether save some rain and low gusts.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, emma dog. It is looking somewhat better on a handful of weather sites. ("Obsessed" would describe my interest in the weather today and, I'm sure, tomorrow.) We'll just wait and see. Not many good options for changing at this point anyway. I was especially interested (and surprised) to find out that we're not much worse off in the little jet.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by dia1
Thanks, emma dog. It is looking somewhat better on a handful of weather sites. ("Obsessed" would describe my interest in the weather today and, I'm sure, tomorrow.) We'll just wait and see. Not many good options for changing at this point anyway. I was especially interested (and surprised) to find out that we're not much worse off in the little jet.
actually max crosswind for M80 to LGA is higher...also - somehow in my experience (maybe due to runway and approach configs between JFK and LGA) LGA flights somehow make it as they are more relevant to surface level crosswinds due to the usual flightpath of going over queens and then doing a sharp U to loose altitude and align with runway...

M80 will still land with about 35kts .. but as everyone said - direction of the wind is of HUGE importance...IMHO - you have better chance with LGA on a bigger plane..
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by galaticos
actually max crosswind for M80 to LGA is higher...

M80 will still land with about 35kts
Do you have a source? In my flying experiences, there's a manufacturer's maximum demonstrated crosswind capability and then there's what the airline's manuals allow. AFAIK, there is a single number for the airline irrespective of the airport.

Every site I'm google-ing at the present time says 30 kts is the max regardless of the airport.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:21 pm

The above quoted max demonstrated crosswind for the EMJ is correct. FWI, AA shuts down all operations when the surface winds exceed 50 knots. AA and Eagle.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
You might find http://www.nlr.nl/id~5114/lang~en.pdf helpful.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: Qantas (P1)(now LTGwohhhh), Singapore, United, AIRNZ,SPG corporate member, ShangriLa Golden circle
What about wind inside the plane, how much of that can us little guys take!!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by emma dog
Do you have a source? In my flying experiences, there's a manufacturer's maximum demonstrated crosswind capability and then there's what the airline's manuals allow. AFAIK, there is a single number for the airline irrespective of the airport.

Every site I'm google-ing at the present time says 30 kts is the max regardless of the airport.
no literature...just from experience of having been in planes that landed with 35kts etc...but like u said - all depends on runway and approach configs...literature does say 30Kts....although have known a few pilots to say (airport chat..) they can land upto 40 in crab mode....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.