Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Upgrade Awards - co-payment for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Mileage Upgrade Awards - co-payment for elites?

UA charges cash co-payments for mileage awards, but waives the cash co-payment for domestic mileage upgrade awards redeemed from UA elite members' accounts. Is AA the same? For both discount economy and discount business paid tickets?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
No, AA does not waive the mileage upgrade co-pay for elites.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Seems odd to be non-competitive on this point. Would think AA would want its elites burning miles for important domestic upgrades vs. chancing sticker upgrades.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Colin
Seems odd to be non-competitive on this point. Would think AA would want its elites burning miles for important domestic upgrades vs. chancing sticker upgrades.
Well, AA allows sticker upgrades on, e.g., JFK->LAX/SFO, whereas at least last time I checked UA does not. There are a bunch of small differences in programs.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
UA charges cash co-payments for mileage awards, but waives the cash co-payment for domestic mileage upgrade awards redeemed from UA elite members' accounts. Is AA the same? For both discount economy and discount business paid tickets?
There are many differences between the AA and UA programs. It would be a mistake to assume that anything is the same in the program you are not familiar with as it is in the program you are familiar with. The only effective thing to do is to research your questions separately on each forum. This forum has a wealth of information already posted (see the stickies and announcements). AA.com is also a good source.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Would think AA would want its elites burning miles for important domestic upgrades vs. chancing sticker upgrades.
Unfortunately (or not, in some cases), AA doesn't always think the way some FT'ers do.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
There are many differences between the AA and UA programs. It would be a mistake to assume that anything is the same in the program you are not familiar with as it is in the program you are familiar with. The only effective thing to do is to research your questions separately on each forum. This forum has a wealth of information already posted (see the stickies and announcements). AA.com is also a good source.
Not very helpful advice as it is near impossible to research aa.com or wikis trying to prove a negative -- that aa does not waive the copayment for elites domestically. Often, the full extent of elite benefits is not fully documented.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Not very helpful advice as it is near impossible to research aa.com or wikis trying to prove a negative -- that aa does not waive the copayment for elites domestically. Often, the full extent of elite benefits is not fully documented.
I'd have to disagree and say the benefits are very well-documented in the FAQ, Wiki and on aa.com.

There's a complete benefits guide for elites on AA's website. If there is no mention that co-pays are waived for elites, one could easily conclude they are not.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I will say that I would burn a lot more of my miles (because I earn quite a lot through credit cards, dining, flights, energy bills et al) on "risky" upgrade flights such as transcons if it weren't for that copay!
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
I respectfully disagree.

I navigated to AA.com > AAdvantage (left side navigation bar) > Redeem Miles > Upgrade Using Miles > then chose "View Upgrade Awards Chart"

The co-pays are clearly listed.

Now, granted, you may not be familiar with AA's site (I don't know all the ins and outs of UA.com), but if you know generally what you are searching for, it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.