Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexicana Ceases Flight Operations 28 Aug 2010

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:48 pm

For those interested, just saw on a blog this afternoon where AA has added extra flights to schedule out of DFW and MIA.
Just a drop in the bucket, but probably the easiest thing to do in short notice by perhaps giving some aircraft a quick turn.
Will be interesting to see if anything more "creative" comes out of this.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
Another One World mess. Mexicana was a really useful option to go to smaller places in Mexico. With AA miles useless on BA this is an alliance on life support especially as other airlines on One World don't seem to give miles unless you hand over your first born and fly F.
I don't even fly AA regularly but I have had no trouble using AA miles for LA or JL trips. Getting to IPC was extremely simple.

I certainly want to see Mexican or an equivalent be in OW because it is not good to one behemoth of an alliance.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
They can't add MEX-JFK due to Bi-Lateral Restrictions their can only be two US Airlines from each cities and EWR/JFK are considered one city which is stupid if you ask me. But If I was AA and we could start JFK-MEX I'd start it tomorrow.
Originally Posted by cieligne
Just another comment; I know many folks have focused on the MX impact to west coast, but AA will probably want to look at MEX-JFK as well. It would be a nice and fairly logical add to their JFK hub where they want to be competitive with DL and soon enough the "united" UA/CO from EWR.

In both cases (DL and CO) the competition flies their own metal to MEX from JFK or EWR. AA has nothing.

Likewise, ORD-MEX, probably not in danger, but you can see where the MX flameout necessitates AA to look at something in terms of filling the remaining holes to Mexico.

AA has its hands full with BA/IB and JL right now, but this is an unexpected situation I think they should respond to. Even if MX comes back in some form, AA would be foolish to rely on MX any more. It needs to shift some planes around and could easily fill in some holes especially to its 4 or 5 cornerstone cities with LAX and JFK being particularly vulnerable. Since there isn't even code share, how many FF'ers are really going to want to coonect over DFW to MEX or Monterrey or GDL or CUN or ???
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Mexicana announces forthcoming ticket sales (but no flights as yet)

After cessation of flights 28 August 2010, Mexicana presumably will resume ticket sales January 24, according to this article on Mexico Travel Weekly.

"Jan. 24 is maintained as a start date for commercial operations, but not for aeronautical operations," said Mexico's deputy transport secretary, Humberto Trevino...

Apparently, $200M and agreement with the FA union are what has been missing - and the FAs state MX will resume flying some domestic (Mexico) and US-Mexico routes.

Hmm. I'd not queue up to buy those tickets yet, but perhaps those of you with AA / MX related tickets may have a shot at getting some fulfillment if you have not done anything with them yet?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I hope they're successful with this relaunch. OW needs an intra-mexico carrier.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:12 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by JDiver
Mexicana presumably will resume ticket sales January 24, according to this article on Mexico Travel Weekly.
ˇno interesado!

I'm not too happy about the way they exited the market. Glad I wasn't burned though I'd been on them recently.

Maybe if they get things going again, I'll give them another shot. But I'll want to see planes in the air for awhile before I'll give them some pesos.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I wish a successful return of MX. Never flew them as part of OW, but flew them several times between LAX-MEX and never had any issues with them in the past.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 5:28 pm

What happened to Airmexicana as a Partner ?

We were looking at OAX but there is apparently no Airmexicana anymore nor could I find it thru a search. Can we just use Aereo Mexico with AA miles?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by gregillinois
We were looking at OAX but there is apparently no Airmexicana anymore nor could I find it thru a search. Can we just use Aereo Mexico with AA miles?
No. Aeromexico is not an AA partner carrier.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Originally Posted by gregillinois
They went bankrupt a few years ago, I believe, and thing probably changed in there relationship with AA.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
RIP MX / Mexicana

Mexicana's abortive restart never occurred and the airline looks like it is permanently grounded, in spite of some minor sings of hopeful life - statements of pending service, flight attendant calendars to raise funds, etc.

Compańía Mexicana de Aviación, S.A. de C.V., Mexico's oldest airline and one of the New World's oldest as well, started flying in 1921. By 2009, MX (including LCC affiliates Mexicana Link and Mexicana Click) was flying 110 aircraft to four continents, and carried~11 million passengers. They are said to have increased their market share in Mexico from 22% to nearly 30% in he three years leading up to bankruptcy.

Mexicana, Mexicana Click and Mexicana Link have all shut down, effective noon August 28, 2010. The likelihood of their somehow being rising phoenix-like from the ashes is pretty dim, and certainly even dimmer with every passing month.

My early flights on MX were in the late 1940s (DC-3s and DC-4s), and some of my first flights in jet aircraft were on Mexicana's Comet 4-Cs (MEX-LAX and MEX-ORD) after they introduced the Comets in 1960. The last time I saw a MX Comet was in the restoration shops of the Seattle Museum of Flight*, where DH106 Comet 4-C C/N 6424 will some day shine again. See photos here.

DeHavilland DH-106 Comet 4-C C/N 6424 XA-NAR

Mexicana Airbus A320-321 in final colour scheme

*Museum of Flight Annex Facility at Paine Field, Everett, Washington

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 30, 2011 at 8:43 am
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Apparently a new suitor has been approved by the bankruptcy court to restart operations for Mexicana.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?Arti...tegoryId=14091
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
Apparently a new suitor has been approved by the bankruptcy court to restart operations for Mexicana.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?Arti...tegoryId=14091
"Soto said the airline could begin flying again in April with a fleet of seven planes."

That should be an interesting set of flights. MEX-???
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by Spiff
"Soto said the airline could begin flying again in April with a fleet of seven planes."
Wikipedia (perhaps not the best source) shows their fleet was 68 with 48 destinations at one time. Also notes they planned for 11 routes with 7 leased aircraft for 2011. It will be interesting to see how this develops.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Mexicana was finally removed from the list of OW carriers shown in the inflight magazine this month

TW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.