Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will AA announce no more BOS-LHR? (speculation)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
This has all be said before, but the question that hasn't been addressed is: when do finances get dire for AA in BOS? Unlike an airline with far less overhead cost, AA's airport costs remain relatively static, and they cannot simply continue to cut back in the way a discount carrier could in times of austerity without impacting the viability in a particular station.
But as MAH4546 pointed out, with metal neutrality you should be looking at the combined AA & BA operation. Given the amount of OneWorld international traffic out of BOS in total, that's not going to dwindle to nothing overnight so presumably we'll first see BA move to the AA gates and a combined Lounge?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
I think AA can only afford so many reduction in BOS before they actually have to close shop. Their overhead in BOS (due to things like the Admirals Club and other services) makes their presence there far more expensive than that of JetBlue or Southwest. In the past ten years they've gone from over a hundred Eagle flights a day to just a couple dozen (if that) and large capacity planes befitting a major airport (e.g. the 777 and 762) to 757s on international routes and 738s on long haul domestic routes. This has all be said before, but the question that hasn't been addressed is: when do finances get dire for AA in BOS? Unlike an airline with far less overhead cost, AA's airport costs remain relatively static, and they cannot simply continue to cut back in the way a discount carrier could in times of austerity without impacting the viability in a particular station.
Close up shop?? Are you serious?? Let me tell you, there is absolutely no chance that AA would ever close BOS. None. Zero. Zilch. And it doesn't matter if AA were to be losing millions there. Let me say it again: They would never close BOS.

BOS is a key part of the global network for AA. It's required to to be operated in order to satisfy AA's customer base, especially the corporate contracts. For AA to close BOS would be like for AA to close ATL. It ain't gonna happen!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:24 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted

Last edited by HNL; Feb 21, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.