Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Are there any AAdvantage Elite benefits flying EL AL? (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE

I have an upcoming trip JFK-TLV on LY flying coach.

For a number of reasons I wasn't able to fly AA and use a VIP or even OW.

Are there any EXP / Emerald perks I might expect?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I can't imagine any. RJ is oneworld, so that might have been different...
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hotdogs
I have an upcoming trip JFK-TLV on LY flying coach.

For a number of reasons I wasn't able to fly AA and use a VIP or even OW.

Are there any EXP / Emerald perks I might expect?

Thanks in advance!
is your ticket AA stock? if so (i.e. thru codeshare agreement), then you can earn elite qualifying miles and RDM (which has nothing to do with being an elite). Other than that, no benefits at all:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/code...tners/elAL.jsp
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jlp187
is your ticket AA stock? if so (i.e. thru codeshare agreement), then you can earn elite qualifying miles and RDM (which has nothing to do with being an elite). Other than that, no benefits at all:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/code...tners/elAL.jsp
According to the linked page:

Due to a regulatory change by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration, American Airlines has suspended its codeshare on flights operated by El Al until further notice.
so it being a code-share isn't too likely.

That said, on code-shares, I've had good success approaching the gate agent before the start of boarding and asking, politely, "Since this is a code-share flight with AA, do you extend early boarding privileges to AA elite passengers?" The usual reaction is that nobody ever mentioned it before, they never thought of it before, but of course they would. Not a huge benefit, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:13 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
You might! be able to get into the AC at JFK.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:34 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by IntFF
You might! be able to get into the AC at JFK.
As EL AL flies from T4.. I dont think so.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Originally Posted by UncleDude
As EL AL flies from T4.. I dont think so.
Obviously no AC in T4. I flew SFO=>JFK (on AA) the JFK=>TLV on LY and I had 4hrs between flights... so I got into the AC before heading to T4.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by IntFF
Obviously no AC in T4. I flew SFO=>JFK (on AA) the JFK=>TLV on LY and I had 4hrs between flights... so I got into the AC before heading to T4.
Flying on LY as EXP (or OW emerald) does not qualify for AC since LY is not part of OW. You were probably allowed access because you were connecting from an AA transcon flight.

http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/...worldCustomers
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott SIL, Hyatt GLD
GLD vs. PLT on El Al to TLV

I'm currently PLT but will need mileage runs to make it again this year. Which I'm not terribly inclined to do, because I haven't seen much benefit lately. As a Gold I'd still get exit rows and early (enough) boarding, and my upgrades never seem to clear anyway.

However, we have already booked a family trip in business class to TLV for June 2011, using AAdvantage miles. (ORD-EWR is AA and EWR-TLV is El Al.) Can anyone see any huge advantage to being PLT for that trip? I'm thinking if all goes well it won't matter at all, but if something gets canceled or something it could be a difference-maker. What do you think?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Some useful information in this recent thread. (Its title mentions <mentioned> EXP, but most of the replies apply to any AA status, a few to AA regardless of any status at all.)

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:08 pm Reason: redact recurving link
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
No need to go out of your way getting PLT solely for this trip. You'll still have access to the KDL in TLV and AC in ORD/EWR. I am not sure about the current LY lounge arrangement is at EWR, I know they previously contracted with BA and a Marriott hotel several years ago.

Here is a link for more information about LY/AA . Although the FAA has suspended code sharing with Israel the information may still be useful.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
PLT gets 100 percent mileage bonus, GOLD only gets a 25 percent bonus... if this matters to you
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:08 pm

The title has been changed, the threads have now been merged. /Moderator

Originally Posted by Efrem
Some useful information in this thread. (Its title mentions EXP, but most of the replies apply to any AA status, a few to AA regardless of any status at all.)
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:09 pm

Since it is an award trip the OP is discussing, it matters not.

Originally Posted by mvoight
PLT gets 100 percent mileage bonus, GOLD only gets a 25 percent bonus... if this matters to you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.