LHR MR turn time

Old Aug 19, 10, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
LHR MR turn time

Question for someone who has done same day turns at LHR.

AA 78 scheduled arrival is 10:45 AM
AA 79 scheduled departure is 2:30 PM

Is this doable? It sounds like it would be, but never having done a same day turn in LHR I thought I'd ask.

Basically doing a multi-day, multi-city run starting out of RDU. Will be there on business.

RDU-DFW-ONT, (overnight at home), ONT-DFW-LHR-DFW-LAX-ORD-RDU.

After that catch my flight for work back home to ONT.

Totals out to about 38K EQM's including the ONT-RDU RT for work.

Any drama with customs, TSA, immigration? Any explanation necessary other than "I'm doing a mileage run..." Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals!

2001racer
Old Aug 19, 10, 9:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Assuming this is what you want to do, there should be no barriers to doing it, and 4 hrs at LHR I can probably make multiple transfers.
Old Aug 19, 10, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Open for better route

Definitely open for a better route. This one prices out at around $1250.00. Anyone have any ideas...?

Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 10, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Shouldn't run into any TSA issues.. Just give them the boarding pass for one of your flights, and only give them a DL.. No need for them to see each of your bp's, or your passport..

Have a nice trip!
Old Aug 20, 10, 4:03 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you arrive at LHR Terminal 3 follow the purple signs to Flight Connections for terminal 3.

Sometimes you need to show proof of an onward connection (itinerary or boarding pass) and other times there is no check. Clear security - remember the rules are different in the UK and vary day to day, so don't be the cranky American and object when they tell you to take off your belt.

If you don't already have your boarding pass(es) there is an AA transfer desk past security. It's quite painless when things are running normally.
Old Aug 20, 10, 5:12 am

I hate LHR airport, I will avoid this airport at any cost. ORD-LHR-STR last sunday. Connection was about 1.5, I was like ok T5 to T3 no problem. Nop the bus lines were good 400-500 long. Long story short, missed my connection, waited 12 hours in the BA lounge. God I wish I was hourly instead of being a salary field guy.
Old Aug 20, 10, 6:15 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drozek View Post
I hate LHR airport, I will avoid this airport at any cost. ORD-LHR-STR last sunday. Connection was about 1.5, I was like ok T5 to T3 no problem. Nop the bus lines were good 400-500 long. Long story short, missed my connection, waited 12 hours in the BA lounge. God I wish I was hourly instead of being a salary field guy.
But as the OP is doing a T3 to T3 connection, it really is a breeze.
Old Aug 20, 10, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM)
Originally Posted by 2001racer View Post
... Any explanation necessary other than "I'm doing a mileage run..."
Some immigration officers will be fine with that much, if they ask at all. Others, who haven't encountered our particular form of insanity before, may want a longer explanation, so you might want to rehearse something that a lay person can understand.

I had to go through the long version at Perth a few years back. An hour later, having walked in the car park and bought a T-shirt, coming through in the other direction, the same immigration officer spotted me at the far end of the wide hall. He stood on a chair, waved a newspaper in the air, and shouted "Come on down here so you don't have to explain it to anyone else again!"

The typical English officer is a bit more restrained than the typical Aussie, of course. I doubt that will happen at LHR, aside from the odds at a much larger airport working against it. (Even PER has expanded since.)

Time-wise, piece of cake.
Old Aug 20, 10, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
You should be fine. A few years ago, I did an MR where I landed into London Stansted (back when AA flew there) and flew out of LHR. Due to delays, I only had four hours to transit. I cleared immigration, took the coach across town, cleared the dreaded LHR security, and even had time to lounge hop in all that time.

By the way, the UK immigration officer marked me as in-transit, presumably between the US and US.
Old Aug 20, 10, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. Been going to Europe for 20 years and have been able to avoid LHR all this time. I have always been able to take other connections... Now I'll have two trips there in about a month, one MR and one vacay passing through on the way to Rome.

Have seen a ton on here about the AA to BA transfer drama. Hoping it's not to bad...

Thanks again, 2001racer
Old Aug 20, 10, 9:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by 2001racer View Post
Been going to Europe for 20 years and have been able to avoid LHR all this time. I have always been able to take other connections... Now I'll have two trips there in about a month, one MR and one vacay passing through on the way to Rome.

Have seen a ton on here about the AA to BA transfer drama. Hoping it's not to bad...
T3 to T3 transfer is really a breeze--no busses, so that will save the biggest LHR headache... All you'll have to do is re-clear security, which is common for international transfers even at US airports. You'll do great!
Old Aug 20, 10, 10:53 am

Programs: AA: CK (LT PLT), SPG: PE (LT Gold)
The only about T3 to T3 transfers is that there is no elite security line so at busy times it can get a little long. Other than that, OP, you will be fine here. Enjoy the BA F lounge!
Old Aug 20, 10, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If things run on time, the OP has plenty of time to do intra-T3 transfers. But for the US, the OP definitely sounds like someone who could benefit from Global Entry enrollment; the kiosks do not give a hoot about much except your passport and prints match, and you respond to the questions.
Old Sep 7, 10, 11:59 pm

Shorter change 78-79 in November, 2:20 enough time?

On Sundays in November, AA 78 arrives at 10:45am and AA 79 departs at 1:05pm -- 2:20 total time (NOT the ~3:45 OP mentioned).

I'm looking at doing this run. Is this too tight? I assume its the same plane turning around, and will likely be T3-T3..?

Admittedly, I haven't been to LHR in years.

Thanks for your advice!
AWP
Old Sep 8, 10, 5:23 am

Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
@ aw peters: That should be fine as well.

For both, to save time wondering which lounge is best, BA's seems to be getting the "best overall" consensus. Cathay has just opened up a new lounge facility as well.

Search this Thread