FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Does AA allow using smartphone to make Skype phone calls via onboard WiFi? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1111470-does-aa-allow-using-smartphone-make-skype-phone-calls-via-onboard-wifi.html)

SusanYVR Jul 31, 10 2:15 pm

Does AA allow using smartphone to make Skype phone calls via onboard WiFi?

brp Jul 31, 10 2:18 pm

Searching "wifi" on AA.com, I found the page describing the service

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/gogo.jsp

Notable here is:

Cell phone and Voice-over Internet Protocol (VOIP) services are not available.
Cheers.

scubadu Jul 31, 10 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by SusanYVR (Post 14398825)

Not now, and I certainly hope not ever...

Regards

SusanYVR Jul 31, 10 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 14398837)
Searching "wifi" on AA.com, I found the page describing the service

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/gogo.jsp

Notable here is:

Cheers.

Thanks for the link to that page... :)

What about VOIP applications on laptops? (such as Skype and/or Vonage softphone)

krazieman Jul 31, 10 2:28 pm

There are ways to make VoIP calls on GoGo. If your company uses a VoIP phone that can be accessed over a VPN, you can make calls on it. I've used it to check my voicemail before, but not to call people because I think it would piss off everyone around you.

brenc3 Jul 31, 10 2:40 pm

The Gogo instructions in the seatback pocket mention that you stick to email and "respectful browsing" and not make voice calls or conferencing. I'm hoping that's AA policy.

I've tried checking voicemail and the sound is often choppy, but this was not via VPN.

brp Jul 31, 10 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by krazieman (Post 14398874)
There are ways to make VoIP calls on GoGo. If your company uses a VoIP phone that can be accessed over a VPN, you can make calls on it. I've used it to check my voicemail before, but not to call people because I think it would piss off everyone around you.

Right. It's not a question of breaking the lock, because that can always be done. It's a question of "what's the policy," and "what is considerate of others." The answers on both of these are very clear.

Cheers.

brenc3 Jul 31, 10 2:44 pm

Also was curious about the Gogo testimonials on the AA website:

"I am onboard AA179 JFK to SFO today with GoGo up and running. Very easy to use, performance surprisingly good so far. Way better than the typical hotel "high speed" internet and better than the performance in most ACs."

Are they referring to internet on other aircraft, or to internet in the Admirals Club?

SusanYVR Jul 31, 10 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 14398927)
Right. It's not a question of breaking the lock, because that can always be done. It's a question of "what's the policy," and "what is considerate of others." The answers on both of these are very clear.

Cheers.

using VOIP to talk on a plane isn't necessarily rude...... heck, I was on a flight last week from SFO to JFK. Two women on the opposite side of first class kept talking during the entire flight. They were so loud that I could hear every word they spoke. The only time they stopped was when one of them had to use the loo. :(

When the FA asked them "nicely" to keep it down... they responded by saying that they paid full fare first class tickets and shoudl be treated accordingly, not the riff-raffs who got into first class using upgrades. Where's the FAM in first class when you need one? :mad:

FewMiles Jul 31, 10 2:53 pm

Probably they meant the Admirals Clubs. Otherwise they would have stated the type of aircraft and probably written out "aircraft" and not "ACs".

FewMiles Jul 31, 10 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by SusanYVR (Post 14398969)
using VOIP to talk on a plane isn't necessarily rude...... heck, I was on a flight last week from SFO to JFK. Two women on the opposite side of first class kept talking during the entire flight. They were so loud that I could hear every word they spoke. The only time they stopped was when one of them had to use the loo. :(

People viewing the use of VOIP as rude does not in any way make what the two women were doing more acceptable.

brp Jul 31, 10 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by FewMiles (Post 14398985)
People viewing the use of VOIP as rude does not in any way make what the two women were doing more acceptable.

Exactly. VoIP is annoying. Apparently, so were those women. I think anyone on the other end of a VoIP-from-the-plane call should expect to hear that sound of strangulation coming through the link.

Cheers.

WRCSolberg Jul 31, 10 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by SusanYVR (Post 14398861)
Thanks for the link to that page... :)

What about VOIP applications on laptops? (such as Skype and/or Vonage softphone)

No, hell no.

Nevermind that it's specifically prohibited - it's a great way to instantly have the entire plane hate you.

using VOIP to talk on a plane isn't necessarily rude...... heck, I was on a flight last week from SFO to JFK. Two women on the opposite side of first class kept talking during the entire flight. They were so loud that I could hear every word they spoke. The only time they stopped was when one of them had to use the loo.
Imagine how much fun it would be it half of the airplane were on VOIP.

Hyperacusis Jul 31, 10 3:38 pm

A lot of airlines offer in-seat telephones. Emirates offers roaming cell coverage on most of their aircraft. Granted, these services are expensive enough that I have rarely seen anybody use them, which makes them a whole lot less annoying than if the entire plane of was on WiFi. But I've been in situations similar to SusanYVR where one person sitting in F decides that it is absolutely paramount that in addition to her friend across the aisle, the entire F cabin must know every detail behind her wedding planning.

Situations like that bother me more than in-flight telephones. The phones already exist, and nobody uses them. And I don't think enough people pay for GoGo that it would be a problem even if it were allowed. And well, if somebody REALLY wants to use it, the block is very easy to get around. FWIW, Facetime on the iPhone 4 works in-flight.

gemac Jul 31, 10 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 14399166)
Situations like that bother me more than in-flight telephones. The phones already exist, and nobody uses them. And I don't think enough people pay for GoGo that it would be a problem even if it were allowed. And well, if somebody REALLY wants to use it, the block is very easy to get around. FWIW, Facetime on the iPhone 4 works in-flight.

Trust me, if passengers could yak with their friends for 5 hours on a transcon for $12.50, the Gogo usage would go way up.

Originally Posted by brp (Post 14399001)
Exactly. VoIP is annoying. Apparently, so were those women. I think anyone on the other end of a VoIP-from-the-plane call should expect to hear that sound of strangulation coming through the link.

Strangulation seems extreme for VOIP smartphone usage on the plane. Flushing would be more appropriate, IMO.

redheadtempe33 Jul 31, 10 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by SusanYVR (Post 14398825)

Don't be that guy ... (or girl)

Middle_Seat Jul 31, 10 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 14399166)
...But I've been in situations similar to SusanYVR where one person sitting in F decides that it is absolutely paramount that in addition to her friend across the aisle, the entire F cabin must know every detail behind her wedding planning....

Is this a situation in which flying Coach is better than F? Back in row 99, the ambient noise is so loud you can't hear anyone more than a seat away :D

MarcusWorth Jul 31, 10 4:56 pm

Out of curiosity, I tested my BlackBerry Bold mobile (using UMA) on a recent AA flight and was able to place a call.

Admitedly, I did this in the W.C. and rather quietly so as not to disturb other passengers but the signal was clear and the other party had no idea I was on a plane.

musicbizwiz Jul 31, 10 5:32 pm

while the rules prohibit it, the connection doesn't.

i've tested skype by checking voicemail.

and ichat was able to make a video connection.

while i don't use either to communicate via voice, i do use ichat regularly to communicate realtime via text with employees, producers, etc. when i'm in the middle of a project and flying. it's made a difference a few times in helping me meet deadlines while i was in transit.

mvoight Jul 31, 10 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by SusanYVR (Post 14398969)

When the FA asked them "nicely" to keep it down... they responded by saying that they paid full fare first class tickets and shoudl be treated accordingly, not the riff-raffs who got into first class using upgrades. Where's the FAM in first class when you need one? :mad:

How did the FA respond? Apparently the non "riff-raff" don't know how to behave in public.

danielonn Jul 31, 10 10:17 pm

They are available

If you can access WIfi then you can access Skype. They just want you to use their expensive phone service. There are workarounds like DNS spoofing so American does not even know you are using Skype. Try it out.

mvoight Jul 31, 10 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 14400522)
If you can access WIfi then you can access Skype. They just want you to use their expensive phone service. There are workarounds like DNS spoofing so American does not even know you are using Skype. Try it out.

It's not about them wanting to use their phones. In fact, many of them have been removed. I really don't want to be annoyed by cell phones or other phones on the plane. i have never heard a long conversation on an air phone. I have used one only twice. Once was right before an emergency landing, and the other time was because I wanted to talk to a woman I was in love with. It was the first time she told me she loved me. I am not in favor of idle chit chat on the plane, nor did I consider it appropriate to discuss business issues in a public place, where you conversation can be heard by others. It is enough that people can't even seem to avoid the quiet zone signs in Admiral's CLubs

MissJoeyDFW Jul 31, 10 10:53 pm

"SusanYVR - using VOIP to talk on a plane isn't necessarily rude...... heck, I was on a flight last week from SFO to JFK. Two women on the opposite side of first class kept talking during the entire flight. They were so loud that I could hear every word they spoke. "

I would find someone using VOIP to talk on a plane rude, intrusive, annoying, irritating and just about every other negative word you could think of. I hope calls are never allowed. I enjoy the peace and quiet I get on a plane and wouldn't want to hear another person yammering on the phone non-stop during a flight. Loud people on a plane happen infrequently, I am afraid if people could make phone calls it would be every single flight.

SusanYVR Aug 1, 10 2:51 am

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW (Post 14400611)
"SusanYVR - using VOIP to talk on a plane isn't necessarily rude...... heck, I was on a flight last week from SFO to JFK. Two women on the opposite side of first class kept talking during the entire flight. They were so loud that I could hear every word they spoke. "

I would find someone using VOIP to talk on a plane rude, intrusive, annoying, irritating and just about every other negative word you could think of. I hope calls are never allowed. I enjoy the peace and quiet I get on a plane and wouldn't want to hear another person yammering on the phone non-stop during a flight. Loud people on a plane happen infrequently, I am afraid if people could make phone calls it would be every single flight.

Agreed. Now let's find a way to shut up the pilots who insist on coming on the PA and point out every landmark/river/mountain/lake on a 5-hour flight. :)

dsg10715 Aug 1, 10 2:54 am

If i ever see someone trying to make phone calls i will start streaming eight or nine utube videos at once to jam the bandwidth

s

Originally Posted by brp (Post 14398927)

Cheers.

T

zphelj Aug 1, 10 8:16 am

Originally Posted by MarcusWorth (Post 14399473)
Out of curiosity, I tested my BlackBerry Bold mobile (using UMA) on a recent AA flight and was able to place a call.

Admitedly, I did this in the W.C. and rather quietly so as not to disturb other passengers but the signal was clear and the other party had no idea I was on a plane.

Calling from the W.C. may be considerate of your other passengers, but what about your caller? ;)

IMHO someone making a voice and/or video call next to me is greatly preferred over many other in-flight occurrences. Screaming baby comes to mind 1st and the list drags on from there ..

Dallas49er Aug 1, 10 9:08 am

Put me down in the camp of NO CELLPHONES! ^

If you can't get it done on the ground, take a later flight.

As for go-go, voip, skype, etc,, just because you have it, doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. :td:

Hyperacusis Aug 1, 10 9:18 am

Originally Posted by zphelj (Post 14401829)
Calling from the W.C. may be considerate of your other passengers, but what about your caller? ;)

IMHO someone making a voice and/or video call next to me is greatly preferred over many other in-flight occurrences. Screaming baby comes to mind 1st and the list drags on from there ..

My point exactly. I'd rather have the guy who needs to make a 5 minute business call than the parent refusing to calm her baby on a 15 hour DXB-IAH flight (yes, this happened last month. I had to walk up to the parent and ask her to quieten her baby. Just like I would ask a loud pax on the phone to shut it.).

The airline can set limits on how long VOIP conversations can last, and ask the FAs to enforce it. VOIP could be blocked on red-eyes. The FA's can always ask pax being excessively loud to quieten down. By law, pax are required to obey FA instructions. When controlled well, I don't see why VOIP is such a huge issue. There is worse out there.

AAerSTL Aug 1, 10 11:57 am

I had an encounter with the EXP desk last year when my flight to DFW was delayed for mx, I called via GoGo to make sure I was protected on another DFW-BOS. Agent was very helpful and rebooked me in F.
At the end of the conversation she said "ohhm aren't you supposed to be in the air now?".
Me: "yes I am in the air now". (Agent unaware calls are prohibited and AA was installing Gogo)
AAgent: "How resourceful of you to call how did you do that?"
Me: "Go-go in flight internet"

brenc3 Aug 1, 10 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by zphelj (Post 14401829)

Nothing I don't see regularly in washrooms in restaurants, stores, airports, etc... :eek:

videomaker Aug 1, 10 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 14402086)
The airline can set limits on how long VOIP conversations can last, and ask the FAs to enforce it.

So, how many pax are on a typical flight? How many stopwatches would the FAs need to time the calls?

That would never work.

AAerSTL Aug 1, 10 3:27 pm

The airline can set limits on how long VOIP conversations can last, and ask the FAs to enforce it.

No chance. APFA members would need to receive a commission for each conversation they enforce...

Hyperacusis Aug 1, 10 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker (Post 14403108)
So, how many pax are on a typical flight? How many stopwatches would the FAs need to time the calls?

That would never work.

I still doubt that many passengers would pay for it, just to use VOIP. Most pax don't even know that VOIP is not allowed, and they don't pay for it.

I would also think that the general sentiment expressed on this thread towards phone conversations in flight (i.e. I don't want to disturb others/I don't want to be disturbed) isn't something exclusive to FT. I am willing to bet that there are a good amount of Kettles out there who would be willing to be courteous about it, or tell the pax next to them to shut up if said pax was being obnoxious about it.

Just like any other loud person on a flight.

videomaker Aug 1, 10 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 14403748)
I still doubt that many passengers would pay for it, just to use VOIP. Most pax don't even know that VOIP is not allowed, and they don't pay for it.

So are you still saying this is a workable suggestion or not?

Hyperacusis Aug 1, 10 4:14 pm

It is just as workable as asking an FA to quieten down an entire cabin where everyone is being obnoxiously loud. You rarely see a plane where everyone is being that loud. When people are, I have had success with either directly talking to them myself, or asking an FA to intervene. I see no reason this wouldn't work for VOIP.

videomaker Aug 1, 10 4:22 pm

At the risk of sounding repititious, you still haven't shown how FAs could time and police the length of VOIP calls.

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 14403873)
It is just as workable as asking an FA to quieten down an entire cabin where everyone is being obnoxiously loud. You rarely see a plane where everyone is being that loud. When people are, I have had success with either directly talking to them myself, or asking an FA to intervene. I see no reason this wouldn't work for VOIP.

Hyperacusis Aug 1, 10 4:39 pm

They don't have to. I see nothing wrong an airline stating something along the lines of: "The length of in-flight phone calls should be limited out of courtesy to other passengers. If the cabin crew determines that excessive use of in-flight calling is causing a cabin disruption, they may ask you to hang up."

Or something along those lines. There doesn't have to be a hard limit - just a general guideline. Leave it up to the crew. You have to do what they tell you anyhow.

mikew99 Aug 1, 10 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 14399001)
VoIP is annoying.

VOIP is not annoying. Loud talkers are annoying. And they don't need VOIP for that.

I think any rules against VOIP are misguided. Why not just ban all loud conversation and/or noise? That would take care of lots of common in-flight irritations rather than the rare VOIP one.

emma dog Aug 1, 10 4:53 pm

At this point, what does this have to do with AA? DL and others have more extensive GoGo deployments and this is an issue faced by all airlines.

Hyperacusis Aug 1, 10 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99 (Post 14404031)
VOIP is not annoying. Loud talkers are annoying. And they don't need VOIP for that.

I think any rules against VOIP are misguided. Why not just ban all loud conversation and/or noise? That would take care of lots of common in-flight irritations rather than the rare VOIP one.

+1