Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Does AA allow using smartphone to make Skype phone calls via onboard WiFi?

Does AA allow using smartphone to make Skype phone calls via onboard WiFi?

Old Aug 1, 10, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
The airline can set limits on how long VOIP conversations can last, and ask the FAs to enforce it.
So, how many pax are on a typical flight? How many stopwatches would the FAs need to time the calls?

That would never work.
Old Aug 1, 10, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
The airline can set limits on how long VOIP conversations can last, and ask the FAs to enforce it.
No chance. APFA members would need to receive a commission for each conversation they enforce...
Old Aug 1, 10, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by videomaker View Post
So, how many pax are on a typical flight? How many stopwatches would the FAs need to time the calls?

That would never work.
I still doubt that many passengers would pay for it, just to use VOIP. Most pax don't even know that VOIP is not allowed, and they don't pay for it.

I would also think that the general sentiment expressed on this thread towards phone conversations in flight (i.e. I don't want to disturb others/I don't want to be disturbed) isn't something exclusive to FT. I am willing to bet that there are a good amount of Kettles out there who would be willing to be courteous about it, or tell the pax next to them to shut up if said pax was being obnoxious about it.

Just like any other loud person on a flight.
Old Aug 1, 10, 5:06 pm

I still doubt that many passengers would pay for it, just to use VOIP. Most pax don't even know that VOIP is not allowed, and they don't pay for it.
So are you still saying this is a workable suggestion or not?

Old Aug 1, 10, 5:14 pm

It is just as workable as asking an FA to quieten down an entire cabin where everyone is being obnoxiously loud. You rarely see a plane where everyone is being that loud. When people are, I have had success with either directly talking to them myself, or asking an FA to intervene. I see no reason this wouldn't work for VOIP.
Old Aug 1, 10, 5:22 pm

At the risk of sounding repititious, you still haven't shown how FAs could time and police the length of VOIP calls.

It is just as workable as asking an FA to quieten down an entire cabin where everyone is being obnoxiously loud. You rarely see a plane where everyone is being that loud. When people are, I have had success with either directly talking to them myself, or asking an FA to intervene. I see no reason this wouldn't work for VOIP.
Old Aug 1, 10, 5:39 pm

They don't have to. I see nothing wrong an airline stating something along the lines of: "The length of in-flight phone calls should be limited out of courtesy to other passengers. If the cabin crew determines that excessive use of in-flight calling is causing a cabin disruption, they may ask you to hang up."

Or something along those lines. There doesn't have to be a hard limit - just a general guideline. Leave it up to the crew. You have to do what they tell you anyhow.
Old Aug 1, 10, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brp View Post
VoIP is annoying.
VOIP is not annoying. Loud talkers are annoying. And they don't need VOIP for that.

I think any rules against VOIP are misguided. Why not just ban all loud conversation and/or noise? That would take care of lots of common in-flight irritations rather than the rare VOIP one.
Old Aug 1, 10, 5:53 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
At this point, what does this have to do with AA? DL and others have more extensive GoGo deployments and this is an issue faced by all airlines.
Old Aug 1, 10, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
VOIP is not annoying. Loud talkers are annoying. And they don't need VOIP for that.

I think any rules against VOIP are misguided. Why not just ban all loud conversation and/or noise? That would take care of lots of common in-flight irritations rather than the rare VOIP one.
+1
Old Aug 1, 10, 7:01 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Oh please, people, AA has gogo for years (yes, years), and this has been discussed repeadedly in many threads. What's the purpose of it continuing?
Old Aug 1, 10, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
Oh please, people, AA has gogo for years (yes, years), and this has been discussed repeadedly in many threads. What's the purpose of it continuing?
+1. I believe the OP's question was answered long ago.
Old Aug 1, 10, 9:11 pm

I was on a flight last week from MEX and a fellow passenger in first was using Skype or just type of video conference with his wife and child. He had a built in webcam and was turning it around to show his wife the entire plane. I have to say I was a bit surprised as it was not very private but the FA didn't seem to mind at all.
Old Aug 1, 10, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
Exactly, of course.

I used to love using the inflight in-the-armrest telephones to make quick calls. This was several years ago of course but there was simply nothing better than speaking to your secretary as the takeoff roll was commencing to confirm a few details during the climb out. Great stuff....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: