Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Does AA allow using smartphone to make Skype phone calls via onboard WiFi?

Does AA allow using smartphone to make Skype phone calls via onboard WiFi?

 
Old Aug 1, 10, 2:16 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
The airline can set limits on how long VOIP conversations can last, and ask the FAs to enforce it.
So, how many pax are on a typical flight? How many stopwatches would the FAs need to time the calls?

That would never work.
videomaker is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 4:27 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston, MA (BOS)
Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Posts: 5,559
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
The airline can set limits on how long VOIP conversations can last, and ask the FAs to enforce it.
No chance. APFA members would need to receive a commission for each conversation they enforce...
AAerSTL is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 4:45 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: AUS / DXB
Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 1,838
Originally Posted by videomaker View Post
So, how many pax are on a typical flight? How many stopwatches would the FAs need to time the calls?

That would never work.
I still doubt that many passengers would pay for it, just to use VOIP. Most pax don't even know that VOIP is not allowed, and they don't pay for it.

I would also think that the general sentiment expressed on this thread towards phone conversations in flight (i.e. I don't want to disturb others/I don't want to be disturbed) isn't something exclusive to FT. I am willing to bet that there are a good amount of Kettles out there who would be willing to be courteous about it, or tell the pax next to them to shut up if said pax was being obnoxious about it.

Just like any other loud person on a flight.
Hyperacusis is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 5:06 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
I still doubt that many passengers would pay for it, just to use VOIP. Most pax don't even know that VOIP is not allowed, and they don't pay for it.
So are you still saying this is a workable suggestion or not?

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
The airline can set limits on how long VOIP conversations can last, and ask the FAs to enforce it.
videomaker is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 5:14 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: AUS / DXB
Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 1,838
It is just as workable as asking an FA to quieten down an entire cabin where everyone is being obnoxiously loud. You rarely see a plane where everyone is being that loud. When people are, I have had success with either directly talking to them myself, or asking an FA to intervene. I see no reason this wouldn't work for VOIP.
Hyperacusis is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 5:22 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
The airline can set limits on how long VOIP conversations can last, and ask the FAs to enforce it.
At the risk of sounding repititious, you still haven't shown how FAs could time and police the length of VOIP calls.

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
It is just as workable as asking an FA to quieten down an entire cabin where everyone is being obnoxiously loud. You rarely see a plane where everyone is being that loud. When people are, I have had success with either directly talking to them myself, or asking an FA to intervene. I see no reason this wouldn't work for VOIP.
videomaker is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 5:39 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: AUS / DXB
Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 1,838
They don't have to. I see nothing wrong an airline stating something along the lines of: "The length of in-flight phone calls should be limited out of courtesy to other passengers. If the cabin crew determines that excessive use of in-flight calling is causing a cabin disruption, they may ask you to hang up."

Or something along those lines. There doesn't have to be a hard limit - just a general guideline. Leave it up to the crew. You have to do what they tell you anyhow.
Hyperacusis is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 5:50 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Programs: AS 75K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,071
Originally Posted by brp View Post
VoIP is annoying.
VOIP is not annoying. Loud talkers are annoying. And they don't need VOIP for that.

I think any rules against VOIP are misguided. Why not just ban all loud conversation and/or noise? That would take care of lots of common in-flight irritations rather than the rare VOIP one.
mikew99 is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 5:53 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hotlanta.
Programs: I've gone underground!
Posts: 3,474
At this point, what does this have to do with AA? DL and others have more extensive GoGo deployments and this is an issue faced by all airlines.
emma dog is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 6:40 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: AUS / DXB
Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 1,838
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
VOIP is not annoying. Loud talkers are annoying. And they don't need VOIP for that.

I think any rules against VOIP are misguided. Why not just ban all loud conversation and/or noise? That would take care of lots of common in-flight irritations rather than the rare VOIP one.
+1
Hyperacusis is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 7:01 pm
  #41  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Posts: 5,523
Oh please, people, AA has gogo for years (yes, years), and this has been discussed repeadedly in many threads. What's the purpose of it continuing?
jeffreyt is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 7:30 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
Oh please, people, AA has gogo for years (yes, years), and this has been discussed repeadedly in many threads. What's the purpose of it continuing?
+1. I believe the OP's question was answered long ago.
videomaker is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 9:11 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 81
I was on a flight last week from MEX and a fellow passenger in first was using Skype or just type of video conference with his wife and child. He had a built in webcam and was turning it around to show his wife the entire plane. I have to say I was a bit surprised as it was not very private but the FA didn't seem to mind at all.
AAce_Inthe_O is offline  
Old Aug 1, 10, 10:08 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,044
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
VOIP is not annoying. Loud talkers are annoying. And they don't need VOIP for that.
Exactly, of course.

I used to love using the inflight in-the-armrest telephones to make quick calls. This was several years ago of course but there was simply nothing better than speaking to your secretary as the takeoff roll was commencing to confirm a few details during the climb out. Great stuff....
tfjim is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: