Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Does AA allow using smartphone to make Skype phone calls via onboard WiFi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by SusanYVR
Don't be that guy ... (or girl)
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
...But I've been in situations similar to SusanYVR where one person sitting in F decides that it is absolutely paramount that in addition to her friend across the aisle, the entire F cabin must know every detail behind her wedding planning....
Is this a situation in which flying Coach is better than F? Back in row 99, the ambient noise is so loud you can't hear anyone more than a seat away
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: MM, BA, AA EXP
Out of curiosity, I tested my BlackBerry Bold mobile (using UMA) on a recent AA flight and was able to place a call.

Admitedly, I did this in the W.C. and rather quietly so as not to disturb other passengers but the signal was clear and the other party had no idea I was on a plane.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA: EXP, 1 MM
while the rules prohibit it, the connection doesn't.

i've tested skype by checking voicemail.

and ichat was able to make a video connection.

while i don't use either to communicate via voice, i do use ichat regularly to communicate realtime via text with employees, producers, etc. when i'm in the middle of a project and flying. it's made a difference a few times in helping me meet deadlines while i was in transit.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SusanYVR
using VOIP to talk on a plane isn't necessarily rude...... heck, I was on a flight last week from SFO to JFK. Two women on the opposite side of first class kept talking during the entire flight. They were so loud that I could hear every word they spoke. The only time they stopped was when one of them had to use the loo.

When the FA asked them "nicely" to keep it down... they responded by saying that they paid full fare first class tickets and shoudl be treated accordingly, not the riff-raffs who got into first class using upgrades. Where's the FAM in first class when you need one?
How did the FA respond? Apparently the non "riff-raff" don't know how to behave in public.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:17 pm

They are available

If you can access WIfi then you can access Skype. They just want you to use their expensive phone service. There are workarounds like DNS spoofing so American does not even know you are using Skype. Try it out.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by danielonn
If you can access WIfi then you can access Skype. They just want you to use their expensive phone service. There are workarounds like DNS spoofing so American does not even know you are using Skype. Try it out.
It's not about them wanting to use their phones. In fact, many of them have been removed. I really don't want to be annoyed by cell phones or other phones on the plane. i have never heard a long conversation on an air phone. I have used one only twice. Once was right before an emergency landing, and the other time was because I wanted to talk to a woman I was in love with. It was the first time she told me she loved me. I am not in favor of idle chit chat on the plane, nor did I consider it appropriate to discuss business issues in a public place, where you conversation can be heard by others. It is enough that people can't even seem to avoid the quiet zone signs in Admiral's CLubs
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:53 pm

"SusanYVR - using VOIP to talk on a plane isn't necessarily rude...... heck, I was on a flight last week from SFO to JFK. Two women on the opposite side of first class kept talking during the entire flight. They were so loud that I could hear every word they spoke. "

I would find someone using VOIP to talk on a plane rude, intrusive, annoying, irritating and just about every other negative word you could think of. I hope calls are never allowed. I enjoy the peace and quiet I get on a plane and wouldn't want to hear another person yammering on the phone non-stop during a flight. Loud people on a plane happen infrequently, I am afraid if people could make phone calls it would be every single flight.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
"SusanYVR - using VOIP to talk on a plane isn't necessarily rude...... heck, I was on a flight last week from SFO to JFK. Two women on the opposite side of first class kept talking during the entire flight. They were so loud that I could hear every word they spoke. "

I would find someone using VOIP to talk on a plane rude, intrusive, annoying, irritating and just about every other negative word you could think of. I hope calls are never allowed. I enjoy the peace and quiet I get on a plane and wouldn't want to hear another person yammering on the phone non-stop during a flight. Loud people on a plane happen infrequently, I am afraid if people could make phone calls it would be every single flight.
Agreed. Now let's find a way to shut up the pilots who insist on coming on the PA and point out every landmark/river/mountain/lake on a 5-hour flight.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:54 am

If i ever see someone trying to make phone calls i will start streaming eight or nine utube videos at once to jam the bandwidth

s
Originally Posted by brp
Right. It's not a question of breaking the lock, because that can always be done. It's a question of "what's the policy," and "what is considerate of others." The answers on both of these are very clear.

Cheers.
T
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by MarcusWorth
Out of curiosity, I tested my BlackBerry Bold mobile (using UMA) on a recent AA flight and was able to place a call.

Admitedly, I did this in the W.C. and rather quietly so as not to disturb other passengers but the signal was clear and the other party had no idea I was on a plane.
Calling from the W.C. may be considerate of your other passengers, but what about your caller?

IMHO someone making a voice and/or video call next to me is greatly preferred over many other in-flight occurrences. Screaming baby comes to mind 1st and the list drags on from there ..
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Put me down in the camp of NO CELLPHONES! ^

If you can't get it done on the ground, take a later flight.

As for go-go, voip, skype, etc,, just because you have it, doesn't mean you HAVE to use it.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by zphelj
Calling from the W.C. may be considerate of your other passengers, but what about your caller?

IMHO someone making a voice and/or video call next to me is greatly preferred over many other in-flight occurrences. Screaming baby comes to mind 1st and the list drags on from there ..
My point exactly. I'd rather have the guy who needs to make a 5 minute business call than the parent refusing to calm her baby on a 15 hour DXB-IAH flight (yes, this happened last month. I had to walk up to the parent and ask her to quieten her baby. Just like I would ask a loud pax on the phone to shut it.).

The airline can set limits on how long VOIP conversations can last, and ask the FAs to enforce it. VOIP could be blocked on red-eyes. The FA's can always ask pax being excessively loud to quieten down. By law, pax are required to obey FA instructions. When controlled well, I don't see why VOIP is such a huge issue. There is worse out there.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I had an encounter with the EXP desk last year when my flight to DFW was delayed for mx, I called via GoGo to make sure I was protected on another DFW-BOS. Agent was very helpful and rebooked me in F.
At the end of the conversation she said "ohhm aren't you supposed to be in the air now?".
Me: "yes I am in the air now". (Agent unaware calls are prohibited and AA was installing Gogo)
AAgent: "How resourceful of you to call how did you do that?"
Me: "Go-go in flight internet"
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by zphelj
Nothing I don't see regularly in washrooms in restaurants, stores, airports, etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.