Is there a way to earn extra E-vips?

Old Jul 30, 10, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Agnostic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Is there a way to earn extra E-vips?

I know that there are ways to earn additional E-VIPs beyond the basic 8 for initial qualification by either EQP, EQM, and (my personal favorite) segments. But for the life of me, I can't remember exactly what that criterion may be. I'm sure someone out there does!

I'm doing my 4th quarter planning, and if I am close, I may tweak my schedule, do a MR or two, or even pay for my Christmas trip instead of using miles. I will hit 100 segments August 18th.

OBTW-Flamethrowers down! I did a search here, went back 3 months worth of threads (MEGO), and reviewed ALL of my AA EXP "Welcome aboard" materials going back to 2005 with no luck.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
There is no official way to do this-which is why the material from AA has no information. Some folks have reported getting extras in some cases. Usually involved high EQP (above 150K) flying.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:32 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
Last year AA offered extra VIPs (as a choice amongst other rewards) for people who fly more than 125k EQMs - there is no guarentee that this will be repeated this year (sure hope so since I already have 136k EQPs to date!)

Also, for those with international addresses, hitting 1MM miles generates some (I think 4) VIPs. Domestic address just generate stickers (8)
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Last year there was the 'Elite Rewards' programme but that was only temporary and linked to the double EQM offer.

Aside from that you have the 4 that you get at 2MM (or 1MM if non-USA based) and again at each million after that.
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:44 pm

If you fly 200k is it possible to have two accounts and make EXP on each of them?
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jiacono View Post
If you fly 200k is it possible to have two accounts and make EXP on each of them?
uhhh, no.
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
AA offered elite rewards in 2009, 2008 and, I think, 2007. Last year's was the most generous for EXPs, but for the last 2 or 3 years, at least, there has been the chance to select additional SWUs at 125,000 EQM. I wasn't involved with AA before then, but can anyone remember the last year that such a promotion was not offered?
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:58 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
Originally Posted by jiacono View Post
On different airlines (but that wouldn't be EXP on both...)
Old Jul 30, 10, 1:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
uhhh, no.
Well, technically you could if you opened separate accounts, different variations on your name, and at different addresses.

However...two points:

1) you would not get any EXP benefits while traveling under the "other" account except perhaps lounge access where you only have to show the card. So effectively, you'd fly all those miles to hit EXP on the first account, then never get to enjoy the benefits on the second 100k.

2) if AA found out, they likely would freeze both accounts and institute some sort of penalty.

While this is possible, it certainly is not advisable, nor seem worth it just for 8 SWUs.
Old Jul 30, 10, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2.9MM, SPG-P, IHG-P
Question Why not?

Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
On different airlines (but that wouldn't be EXP on both...)
I can't think of a reason why you couldn't do this. So long as the name on both accounts was your legal name. The first year of qualifying would be rather painful - you'd get all the way to EXP and then start over at zero.

But if you're someone who does fly 200k BIS miles, the subsequent years would be OK. Even months use AAdvantage # A, Odd months use # B.

I imagine somewhere buried in the T's&C's or conditions of carriage there's something that says each natural person is only entitled to a single account, so there's probably a risk in doing so - but I can't think of a common operational reason it would not be allowed.
Old Jul 30, 10, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I see no need for AA to run another DEQM this fall, I would really like to see AA continue with special awards for hitting the 125K mark. This would compete against DL that now has a top fourth elite level. IMHO AA does not need a super elite EXP level per se but could offer certain awards such as additional SWUs, free one year AC membership, or additional miles upon hitting 125K miles. Even making it 150K miles but that would mean somehow I would need to fit in another 25K miles this year.
Old Jul 30, 10, 1:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dmp614 View Post
But if you're someone who does fly 200k BIS miles, the subsequent years would be OK. Even months use AAdvantage # A, Odd months use # B.
Yeah, I thought of that after I posted. You're right, it's only the first year that is painful.

Originally Posted by dmp614 View Post
I imagine somewhere buried in the T's&C's or conditions of carriage there's something that says each natural person is only entitled to a single account, so there's probably a risk in doing so - but I can't think of a common operational reason it would not be allowed.
Actually, I had assumed there was language in the T&C disclosure on the website, but I just re-read it and didn't see anything about duplicate/multiple accounts.

But I could have sworn I read something recently where there was an example of why this type of thing would be disallowed either through personal experience or quoting of AA terms & conditions.

Perhaps this might be technically permissible?

Last edited by RChavez; Jul 30, 10 at 1:56 pm
Old Jul 30, 10, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1MM, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
While I see no need for AA to run another DEQM this fall, I would really like to see AA continue with special awards for hitting the 125K mark. This would compete against DL that now has a top fourth elite level. IMHO AA does not need a super elite EXP level per se but could offer certain awards such as additional SWUs, free one year AC membership, or additional miles upon hitting 125K miles. Even making it 150K miles but that would mean somehow I would need to fit in another 25K miles this year.
This is a good point. I find EXP much more useful than Delta DM anyway, mainly due to the latter's useless SWUs. But I'm sure some fraction of EXPs do fly >>125k EQM and offering incentive to keep flying AA rather than building status on another airline. Flying that much, even the 8 eVIPs run out quickly.

UA's compromise is to issue 6 SWUs when hitting 1k, but then earn 2 more for every 50k EQM flown. I believe that in principle there's no limit on how many you can earn.
Old Jul 30, 10, 2:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by brenc3 View Post
This is a good point. I find EXP much more useful than Delta DM anyway, mainly due to the latter's useless SWUs. But I'm sure some fraction of EXPs do fly >>125k EQM and offering incentive to keep flying AA rather than building status on another airline. Flying that much, even the 8 eVIPs run out quickly.
I would venture to say that the number of people that fly enough to earn top tier on two different airlines is small. Not counting them, why would one want to earn mid-tier status on a second airline rather than enjoying the top-tier benefits on their primary airline? Doesn't make sense to earn EXP,then deal with being mid-tier on another airline. I don't think many would do that.

I think that offering something additional to people flying >>125K EQP (or EQM) is not a bad idea, but I don't think they need to do it to prevent people from earning mid-tier elsewhere. It may encourage people who are going to be close to the additional-earning limit to fly more, though.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 10, 2:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
1) Earn Executive Platinum = 8 SWUs.

2) Cross a million mile threshold = 4 SWUs if 1M whilst living abroad, or 2M or more

3) IF AA offers a bonus like last year's, fulfill the bonus requirements.

If you set up two separate AAdvantage accounts with your legal name, be prepared to explain your rationale to AAdvantage Audits; I am sure they will be entertained by your explanation.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 30, 10 at 5:54 pm Reason: moral: never, never be in a hurry (packing for trip)

Search this Thread