Merge reservations \ Add to exisiting reservation

Old Jul 29, 10, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K , AA PLAT, Marriott Platinum
Merge reservations \ Add to exisiting reservation

Hi ,

I have a reservation booked through a travel agent and want to buy another ticket for my wife... she does not have status and i was trying to add her reservation to mine. I have a few questions around this.

1. Can AA merge two reservations booked from different sources ?
2. Can we add to a exisiting reservation while booking over the ph or at aa.com ?
3. If there are 2 passengers on the same PNR on the upgrade list, do they get upgrade priority based on the higher status ?

I am trying to get this done, so that i can request and .... hope to get a upgrade and avoid the baggage fees for me and wife.
Old Jul 29, 10, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
(bad answer deleted - don't want to taint the Google cache)

Originally Posted by ash_79 View Post
Hi ,

I have a reservation booked through a travel agent and want to buy another ticket for my wife... she does not have status and i was trying to add her reservation to mine. I have a few questions around this.

1. Can AA merge two reservations booked from different sources ?
2. Can we add to a exisiting reservation while booking over the ph or at aa.com ?
3. If there are 2 passengers on the same PNR on the upgrade list, do they get upgrade priority based on the higher status ?

I am trying to get this done, so that i can request and .... hope to get a upgrade and avoid the baggage fees for me and wife.

Last edited by dyrewolf31; Jul 29, 10 at 6:09 pm
Old Jul 29, 10, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, BAEC Silver, UA Plat
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31 View Post
Just make a separate reservation for her, then call AA customer service to merge her PNR into yours.
I'm pretty sure this cannot be done - or so I have been told a number of times I have tried. You can call AAdvantage desk and have them put a note in each reservation to refer back to the other reservation, which may be helpful in IROPS...
Old Jul 29, 10, 3:35 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by paseom2 View Post
I'm pretty sure this cannot be done - or so I have been told a number of times I have tried.
This is correct. It cannot be done. They will be in separate PNRs, but they can be linked for upgrade status purposes.

Cheers.
Old Jul 29, 10, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by brp View Post
This is correct. It cannot be done. They will be in separate PNRs, but they can be linked for upgrade status purposes.

Cheers.
Drat. I'm late again. I really got sidetracked this time.

(Needless to say brp is correct.)
Old Jul 29, 10, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Cheers.
Would the linking help in seat assignments / baggage fees exemption too ?
Old Jul 29, 10, 5:26 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe that it will not help with seat assignments done online, but I also believe it will if you call. According to the rules (again, I believe) you have to be on the same PNR to get the bag fees waived. However, many here have reported getting the waiver simply for traveling together.

Cheers.
Old Jul 29, 10, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.7MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Seats yes. Baggage fee, officially no.

EDIT: brp beat me to it, and a more complete explanation at that!
Old Jul 29, 10, 5:46 pm

I believe that it will not help with seat assignments done online, but I also believe it will if you call. According to the rules (again, I believe) you have to be on the same PNR to get the bag fees waived. However, many here have reported getting the waiver simply for traveling together.

Cheers.
Seats are easy. You can just call and get any non-status person into the elite-only seat next to you. I do this frequently because often I share a few segments with someone else but not the whole trip. Seems to involve a lot of typing on their end.
Old Jul 29, 10, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.7MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jiacono View Post
Seats are easy. You can just call and get any non-status person into the elite-only seat next to you. I do this frequently because often I share a few segments with someone else but not the whole trip. Seems to involve a lot of typing on their end.
Yup - it's my understanding that the agent has to delete the seat and re-assign it, segment-by-segment as a companion of an elite. Not as simple as removing the Q-block and dumping the pax into it. 'Course, just what I have been told...
Old Jul 29, 10, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much guys, this information has definately been very helpful
Old Jul 30, 10, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

I have another question related to upgrades, if i am taking a ORD-DEL flight and am booked in B economy, what are my upgrade options... ?

I understand i can upgrade using eVIP / SWU, but C is 0 on the date i want to travel .... R has seats on it and i want to understand if i need to have stickers for upgrade, even with a full fare economy ticket ?
Old Jul 30, 10, 2:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand i can upgrade using eVIP / SWU, but C is 0 on the date i want to travel .... R has seats on it and i want to understand if i need to have stickers for upgrade, even with a full fare economy ticket ?
Stickers are irrelevant on international itineraries.

You may want to take a look at the FAQ at the top of the page. It has a great deal of information about how the upgrade system works on AA, and much time has been spent putting it together to answer basic questions like this.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 10, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA 1.3 MM/LT Gold
I have another question related to upgrades, if i am taking a ORD-DEL flight and am booked in B economy, what are my upgrade options... ?

Stickers do not work for long haul international flights. You could use mileage to upgrade:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/o...rade-chart.jsp

From full fare economy (B), it would be 30,000 miles each way.

EDITED TO ADD:
D'oh. Beat by brp! But his advice is good: Use the FAQ and Wiki that are available. They contain a lot of good information about oft-asked questions.
Old Jul 30, 10, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miamigrad View Post
Stickers do not work for long haul international flights. You could use mileage to upgrade:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/o...rade-chart.jsp

From full fare economy (B), it would be 30,000 miles each way.

EDITED TO ADD:
D'oh. Beat by brp! But his advice is good: Use the FAQ and Wiki that are available. They contain a lot of good information about oft-asked questions.

So just to make sure i understand this correctly the R bucket is for free upgrades for EXP / PLAT based on the window... meaning if there are ANY R seats available 72 hrs before the flight a PLAT may be eligible, but there are no guarantees as they may be all taken up by EXP at the start of the 100 hr window ... did i miss something ??

Search this Thread