Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to Ecuador vs. LAN in business

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

AA to Ecuador vs. LAN in business

I am guessing that LAN is the obvious answer but thought I would ask.

Can do LAN from JFK-GYE-UIO. Its a 767 on the longhaul.

Can do JFK-MIA-UIO on AA and its a 757 from MIA.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I suspect there's not even a contest here.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by hindukid
I am guessing that LAN is the obvious answer but thought I would ask.

Can do LAN from JFK-GYE-UIO. Its a 767 on the longhaul.

Can do JFK-MIA-UIO on AA and its a 757 from MIA.
ROTFLMAO.....
This is a standard 757 right, not the type that go to Europe, right?
So, this is domestic 757 first class seating versus a lie flat LAN business seat (not angled like AA 763)

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 30, 2010 at 4:48 am
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No; AA has three class 767-223ERs in domestic and two class 767-323ERs in international and domestic service, but no -400s.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K
If it were me, I would do LAN. Main differentiators being that LAN flies with 767 with lie-flat J, and has great IFE. Your domestic 757 seats aside, the IFE will be the overhead TVs or what you bring on board. My experience is also that the catering is better with LAN, however I have only flown LP for the US-South America long haul, and here it can vary a bit between the different LANs.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:23 am

Also factor in that if you are flying return AA gives no lounge access in Quito for anyone - Business Class/EXP/Oneworld Emerald whereas if flying LAN even in economy if an EXP/Emerald (and I assume Platinum/Sapphire) you get an invitation to the 3rd party VIP lounge (at least that was my experience last year)
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
I flew Y to UIO from MIA on AA767 and the a/c looked like it was 20 years old.
LAN all the way.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: 1MM*G, 1K
GYE Lounge access

So happy to see this thread about Ecuador. Is there a lounge at GYE for AA Business class?. Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
At both UIO and GYE Diners club cardholders can get access to the airside VIP lounge.Mrsdrron had a supplementary card that was acceptable.There are no OW lounges.
I believe there are lounges that can be accessed by Priority pass and Amex plat but they are landside-no personal knowledge though.
http://www.dinersclubinternational.c...uador&x=24&y=5
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:53 am

If you are flying in J from GYE, you should get a lounge invitation at check-in. Lounge is quite spacious with natural light from skylights, but no windows so no view. A few sandwiches and snacks, and bar with service. Several computers.

Note that if you are flying Lan Ecuador long-haul, they do not offer the same "Premium Business" service that LAN (Chile) does. The seats and IFE are the same, but the meal service is more like premium economy. No pre-dinner drink service and no appetiser; just one tray with salad, main course and flan. And disappointingly, the white wine was not chilled, and I had to wait/call for wine refills, even though there were only two pax in J!

So if the meal service is more important to you - go with AA.
If sleeping on a fully-flat bed is more important - go with Lan.

Happy Travels.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by gaume
So happy to see this thread about Ecuador. Is there a lounge at GYE for AA Business class?. Thanks.
There is a lounge, as NDFan indicated. I found the lounge itself to be quite nice, but the staffed bar was cash, which I thought was a bit odd compared to most international lounges. Computer area, TV room and a row of reclining lounge chairs also.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by drron
At both UIO and GYE Diners club cardholders can get access to the airside VIP lounge.Mrsdrron had a supplementary card that was acceptable.There are no OW lounges.
I believe there are lounges that can be accessed by Priority pass and Amex plat but they are landside-no personal knowledge though.
http://www.dinersclubinternational.c...uador&x=24&y=5
These Diners lounges must be on the international side; on the domestic side there are no Diners lounges and the AMEX Platinum lounges are only for cardholders associated with a certain local bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.