Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who hates AA 777 business class middle seat? (2-3-2)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

When will the CO/UA merger be finalized?

Last edited by SusanYVR; Aug 2, 2010 at 2:05 am
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:11 pm

You are definately not the only one.

It's a slap in the face and temporary imprisonment for the pax who pays $$$$ for a J fare and then gets stuck in the middle and in my opinion a real "DOH" for AA.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, Priority Club
IMO really just depends on if you're traveling with the people on either side of you.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Can you get a better price?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by vocoder
IMO really just depends on if you're traveling with the people on either side of you.
Absolutely. If you're with friends/family then you're in better shape. If either side are strangers then it's slightly different.

Not that I'm a Saint, but I always make the extra effort to make sure that my neighbor in the middle knows that they must simply not worry about me and let me know if they want to get up whether I'm asleep or not.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Everyone dislikes them, I believe. Of course, I'd rather take the last middle seat remaining than have the best exit row seat in Y. Also some airlines have 8 abreast in J (BA, for example--although BA's J seat is far superior to AA's IMHO), so 7 abreast with a single middle seat in and of itself isn't all that bad.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Even friends may dislike the "trap" middle seat when everyone is asleep or involved and middle seat occupant must head to the lav, etc. whether it is an AA 777 or a QF 747.

OTOH, it's better than c-c- c..., er, cccc..., ah, coach, there, I said it! Not to mention many coach cabins have a greater percentage of middle seats, like QF 747 or A380 or BA 747, say, with 3-4-3 seating "sardine class"
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Even friends may dislike the "trap" middle seat when everyone is asleep or involved and middle seat occupant must head to the lav, etc. whether it is an AA 777 or a QF 747.

OTOH, it's better than c-c- c..., er, cccc..., ah, coach, there, I said it! Not to mention many coach cabins have a greater percentage of middle seats, like QF 747 or A380 or BA 747, say, with 3-4-3 seating "sardine class"
3-4-3 on 747 is not sardine class.

I was fortunate enough to be granted a middle seat in 3-4-3 on a Japan Airlines 777 while flying within Japan. That was a real treat. I still get backpains just thinking about that trip.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That may be why I only mentioned the 747s I have had more or less recent experience with - BA and QF, neither of which was comfortable, though I have to credit QF with being less comfortable - and on 12+ hour flights, rather than intra-Japan flights. Good to now there may be some relatively comfortable Y seats out there - though I'll continue in my striving for J or higher (well, I guess PE, WT+ or E+ might do under some circumstances...)

Originally Posted by SusanYVR
3-4-3 on 747 is not sardine class.

I was fortunate enough to be granted a middle seat in 3-4-3 on a Japan Airlines 777 while flying within Japan. That was a real treat. I still get backpains just thinking about that trip.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA PS - DL FO & .4MM
Originally Posted by UKAAFAN
Absolutely. If you're with friends/family then you're in better shape. If either side are strangers then it's slightly different.

Not that I'm a Saint, but I always make the extra effort to make sure that my neighbor in the middle knows that they must simply not worry about me and let me know if they want to get up whether I'm asleep or not.
Kudos to you, yeah, the 2-3-2 for the 1 in the middle is a bit annoying especially in lieu of 2-2-2 configs in J
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I was once asked (NRT-LAX) while sitting in 10G (aisle) by my seatmate in 10E (middle) if I would change with his buddy in 11E so they could sit together. Normally I do change if it's reasonable but this was kind of pushing it, and he was kind of indignant when I said no.

After dinner I had a change of heart and agreed to switch since I was planning to sleep the rest of the flight anyway. Maybe I get half an air karma point for that, I don't know.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
am I the only one who hates AA 777 business class middle seat?(2-3-2)
compared to other foreign & U.S. airlines on the same route who have
2-2-2 in their 777 business class, how does AA compete?
It competes very well with UA, which is currently installing new 2-4-2 J-class seating on its 777s. Yes, that is correct, 2-4-2. Must be very narrow seats indeed on UA.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
I have never had a problem climbing over someone in the aisle seat even when they are in sleep mode without waking them. It helps to have long legs though…
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
am I the only one who hates AA 777 business class middle seat?(2-3-2)
No.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA-PLT/Lifetime
Is there anyone who actually selects the middle seat when any other is available in J?

The 2-3-2 configuration is the biggest reason I dislike the 777 on the FRA-DFW route -- and the reason I'm unhappy with AA's change of FRA-ORD to seasonal status. The 763 may be a bit long-in-the-tooth but it's 2-2-2 and mostly provides a better J product given its two-class set-up. IMHO, of course.

Alka

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.