Quebec City (YQB) via AA?

Old Jul 26, 10, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Quebec City (YQB) via AA?

Looks like I may need to be in Quebec City next July. Flying AA on business travel is always a challenge (UA is now most preferred carrier), but it's bound to be much harder if AA doesn't even fly somewhere. I suppose I could fly into Montreal and take a train -- how hard is it to get from the airport to the train station? Other ideas?
Old Jul 26, 10, 7:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
Looks like I may need to be in Quebec City next July. Flying AA on business travel is always a challenge (UA is now most preferred carrier), but it's bound to be much harder if AA doesn't even fly somewhere. I suppose I could fly into Montreal and take a train -- how hard is it to get from the airport to the train station? Other ideas?
You can just interline.

AA interlines with Continental via Newark, Delta via Detroit and Air Canada via Montreal or Toronto.

You won't earn miles on the XXX-YQB segment, but it is combined ticketing and bags will be transferred by AA.
Old Jul 26, 10, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM
I had a meeting in Quebec city last month. I flew to Montreal and spent the night at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth ($38 by taxi). The next morning I took the VIA train, first class, to Quebec. The main train station is under the hotel. The train was a delight! Much better than domestic first class air. Cocktails, printed menu, wine etc.
Old Jul 27, 10, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
ChicagoAA has good advice. VIA is far superior to Amtrak.

I don't remember the exact year when American Eagle dropped their YQB service. Last time I flew it was 2003, BOS-YQB.
Old Jul 27, 10, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt AA-Plat 0.1MM AMTK-Select IHG-Gold
I too concur with the statements of ChicagoAA and chuck till. I too flew into Dorval, spent the night in some unremarkable hotel near the airprort, hopped a cab into town the next day and then rode Via Rail to Quebec City. It was way nicer than the regional jet DL, AC or CO will put you in.

Rick
Old Jul 27, 10, 6:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Another vote for VIA Rail here. Even economy class on the train is a perfectly fine way to get between Montreal and Quebec City.
Old Jul 27, 10, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; DL GM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
Another vote for VIA Rail here. Even economy class on the train is a perfectly fine way to get between Montreal and Quebec City.
As a former Montreal resident, I also am a big fan of VIA Rail. Used to travel FC between Montreal and Toronto on a regular basis, and would recommend it any day over the airborne alternatives.
Old Jul 27, 10, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, OnePass, SkyMiles, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Agree 100% with the VIA rail advice. Just came back from visiting Montreal and Quebec City; took the train in between; excellent even in economy. Would take it again in a second.
Old Jul 28, 10, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
You can just interline.

AA interlines with Continental via Newark, Delta via Detroit and Air Canada via Montreal or Toronto.

You won't earn miles on the XXX-YQB segment, but it is combined ticketing and bags will be transferred by AA.
If it's a combined ticket, will the price be comparable to being on UA all the way? I'd like to avoid that

Originally Posted by ChicagoAA View Post
I had a meeting in Quebec city last month. I flew to Montreal and spent the night at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth ($38 by taxi). The next morning I took the VIA train, first class, to Quebec. The main train station is under the hotel. The train was a delight! Much better than domestic first class air. Cocktails, printed menu, wine etc.
How much was the ticket? (I tried to use the VIA web site, but when I clicked a train to see the fare, it kept telling me my session had timed out, even though I'd clicked immediately.) If I can keep the total price competitive with UA flights, I have a chance.
Old Jul 31, 10, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
VIA Rail is very good 100x better than Amtrak.
Old Jul 31, 10, 7:17 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, AA PLT 1MM, UA & Alitalia Gold, Hilton Diamond, Loews PLT, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT, etc.
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
You can just interline.

IIRC when you fly into either YYZ or YUL from the US you will have to claim your bags, clear customs and immigration and recheck your bags to YQB. You won't be able to check them all the way through to YQB. I've had this happen to me when transiting through YYZ (and expect it to happen Tuesday on my way to LHR).
Old Aug 1, 10, 9:53 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
If you do decide to train it from Montreal to Quebec City keep in mind there is now a new express transit service from YUL to downtown that is very reasonably priced. No need for cabs. See:

http://www.stm.info/english/info/a-747.htm
Old Aug 2, 10, 3:46 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Take the train to Dorval train station and from there to Dorval airport YUL is only 2 minutes by a dedicated shuttle bus.
Old Aug 2, 10, 6:53 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by LH/LX View Post
Take the train to Dorval train station and from there to Dorval airport YUL is only 2 minutes by a dedicated shuttle bus.
I don't think the Quebec City VIA train goes to Dorval so if it were possible you would need to change trains in Montreal and likely have a wait there.

Search this Thread