Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

At what point is it an airline operational choice versus a weather delay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2010, 8:18 am
Original Poster

I was scheduled to fly DFW-ORD-TVC

I had a 'weather cancellation' of my DFW-ORD flight, yet the flight before and after did go.

There were no more seats DFW-ORD...so AA put me on a DFW-DTW and I would drive the rest of the way.

At the airport some seats DFW-ORD had opened up, but now my ORD-TVC flight was full (not weather delay) [I should have forced them to keep a seat open for me...new learning for next time].

I know that many flyers have been trained to not think of this question and automatically say 'obviously weather delay,'...but is it really? It was same routes, similar times, etc. At some point AA made a computer choice.

Is this really a weather delay or just a choice by AA....minimally shouldn't they pay for a car voucher DTW-TVC?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 8:33 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
You really do seem to have a lot of issues and problems.

As to this one, I'm sure that they use "weather" for the convenience. Obviously, though, "other flights leaving" are pretty much irrelevant. Weather issues can cause a reduction in capacity, so some flight have to be cut, not all. Could well be what happened here.

So, could it be convenient excuses? Yes. Could it be weather? Yes. Do we have any real way of knowing? No. Is this more than just a speculation thread with little substance? No.

Do they owe you for the car? No.

Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by brp
You really do seem to have a lot of issues and problems.
Just what I was thinking.

Since OP (in another thread) says he is starting an air-taxi service, maybe using his own plane is the solution.

Originally Posted by AAaLot
I actually own a Cirrus aircraft and am putting this aircraft into an air taxi operation...I was not available to fly so I go a different pilot.

I plan to charge $999 one-way TVC-ORD for up to 3 passengers...which if AA keeps their prices up should be good for my business.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by videomaker
Just what I was thinking.

Since OP (in another thread) says he is starting an air-taxi service, maybe using his own plane is the solution.
I did resolve that problem on that day with my plane...just makes me wonder about everyone else

I was scheduled to fly DFW-ORD-TVC...I ended up flying DFW-DTW and having my pilot picking me up. From a pilots perspective the weather was not really that bad.

On that day there seemed to be about 12 DFW-ORD flights per day. 2 of them were canceled due to weather....we all know any of the 2 flights could have been canceled...so why where the passengers in these 2 'specific' flights punished? If it really was weather shouldn't all the punishment be distributed?

Point is that there are times when weather leaves an airline no choice, and times when the airline has choice to match their operations. The concept of choice...or matching to operations clouds the issue of weather.

Another example. If a flight is traveling SFO-ORD-NYC and there is bad weather in SFO, is the flight ORD-NYC 'really' a weather delay or is an operational delay due to the airline not having aircraft at the right place.

I am not sure what my conclusion is other that there seems to be a 3 types of delay: weather, operational, and a cousin to weather.

I look forward to thought out comments on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.