Wife and 2 Kids Mileage?

Old Jul 21, 10, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Wife and 2 Kids Mileage?

Newbie question...

If I go on vacation with my wife and kids do I earn mileage for them or would my wife have to get her own account? What about friends (different last names) if I am making the booking? Do all airlines work this way?
Old Jul 21, 10, 11:07 am

Programs: AA 1.3 MM/LT Gold
Originally Posted by Amarante View Post
Newbie question...

If I go on vacation with my wife and kids do I earn mileage for them or would my wife have to get her own account? What about friends (different last names) if I am making the booking? Do all airlines work this way?
You only earn mileage for yourself. All airlines work this way... no additional credit given for simply booking the trip, paying for the trip, or by booking a second seat in your own name.
Old Jul 21, 10, 11:10 am

Time to read the post at the top of the page that says "Newcomers Please Read First."
Old Jul 21, 10, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JNB280 View Post
Time to read the post at the top of the page that says "Newcomers Please Read First."
Yes, it's good reading--highly recommended.
Old Jul 21, 10, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Newbie question...

AFAIK, most US carriers require each individual to create their own frequent flyer account should they want to earn miles. So yes, your wife, kids, and your buddies need to have their own numbers created if they don’t have one themselves yet.

OTOH, some foreign carriers have an optional annual fee based family pool system, provided that they are your immediate family members. Many Asian carriers do this like JAL Family Club, ANA Family Account, and Korean Air Skypass Family Plan (see "Skypass Family Registration Form"). Respectively you can pool all your familes’ AA and OW flights into JAL, UA/CO and *A into ANA, and DL and ST flights into Korean. Whether or not this may work out for you though is a different story.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jul 21, 10 at 11:22 am
Old Jul 21, 10, 11:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk Amarante

A lot of good advice given to you already in the thread about reading the stickies that have been compiled about the most relevant information neccessary to get the most out of the aadvantage program.

Fasten your seatbelt and be prepared to learn more than you ever thought possible. Keep at it and the rewards will surely be beyond your expectations.
Old Jul 21, 10, 11:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
You can accrue miles for yourself, but not for others (unless you buy an expensive AAirpass membership, which is not typically a good value unless you fly mostly on premium fares or make last-minute bookings). Your wife and kids should get their own FF accounts, as they may eventually travel enough to get a free domestic ticket. This is relatively standardised--I cannot think of any airline that permits accrual for people other than the person named on the FF account. Enjoy your trip!

Search this Thread