Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Pax caught trying to hold and cancel refundable C seats in attempt to secure SWU

Pax caught trying to hold and cancel refundable C seats in attempt to secure SWU

Old Jul 21, 10, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)

Various searches (including "inventory shrinkage") didn't yield any results so here goes ...

I saw this on elliott.org - http://www.elliott.org/elliotts-emai...grade-at-home/.

Just a reminder how easily AA giveth and taketh away!
Old Jul 21, 10, 8:54 am

Of course AA was vengeful--that is how thet act--so they lost an EXP for absolutelty no reason.
If they would have accepted his apology and moved on like other businesses he would still fly them.
However the culture at AA is to try and screw the customer--even if he is an EXP--at all costs.
That is not how to run a business---but they will not be running it for much longer--management will inevitably get tossed for the poor performance--or they will go bankrupt.
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:03 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by vail View Post
However the culture at AA is to try and screw the customer--even if he is an EXP--at all costs.
Ehh, sounds to me like he was trying to screw AA....
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Taking 100,000 miles doesn't seem all that extreme.

I do question the author's conclusion: "It’s just that he’s also a customer — a very good customer." What kind of a "very good customer" would do what he did?

Paying $22,000 might be extreme, but he was given a choice of penalties.

Hope he enjoys United.
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I think it's important for AA to use this customer as an example so that others don't try to pull this. Although I don't know if that was their intent since AA isn't publicizing the incident itself.

This is exactly the reason that CO used to have a policy that the waitlist for international Business class upgrades expired at T-72, and if you didn't clear by then, you were SOL, even if there were empty seats. There had always been a lot of pushback from customers, so eventually they changed the policy to T-24 hours and now they'll let customers go standby at the gate if the waitlist hasn't cleared by expiration at T-24. However, they reminded people that they reserved the right to revert to prior policies if they saw an increasing number of "phantom" bookings.

And as a side note, employees traveling as non-revs had been known to pull the same stunts (it worked particularly well when revenue passengers were barred after T-72/24 and the non-revs could standby for J), but IIRC it was an offense immediately punishable by firing.

ETA: I think this also highlights the market for a true premium economy product on long-haul flights. Clearly this guy can't/won't fly coach but buying a business class ticket is apparently impractical too given what it typically a huge fare differential. I think there are a lot of people out there who would trade up from economy at a reasonable cost. I assume it's enough people to offset those that may trade down from business class based on the apparent success of PE on the likes of VS, BA, AF, QF, etc.
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:04 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
WARNING: Unpopular View About to be Espoused

Sorry to "Downey", but that's tough noogies. You attempted to game the system and AA "won" by erasing 100k worth of miles worth of liability from their books.

As far as loosing an EXP for life, as a businessperson, at some point you have to cut bait with people that aren't good customers. The customer isn't always right. "Downey" knew a Business seat was a deal breaker... he should have bought a business ticket. Or he should have used some of his miles. Instead he tried to take advantage of American and American bit back. This may be a customer that is good to lose.
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by emma dog View Post

Sorry to "Downey", but that's tough noogies. You attempted to game the system and AA "won" by erasing 100k worth of miles worth of liability from their books.

As far as loosing an EXP for life, as a businessperson, at some point you have to cut bait with people that aren't good customers. The customer isn't always right. "Downey" knew a Business seat was a deal breaker... he should have bought a business ticket. Or he should have used some of his miles. Instead he tried to take advantage of American and American bit back. This may be a customer that is good to lose.
+ 1
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you think that view is going to be unpopular, you haven't spent much time on this forum...

"Downey" knew a Business seat was a deal breaker... he should have bought a business ticket. Or he should have used some of his miles.
Well, this is easier said than done given the huge fare discrepancies between coach and business and the limited award inventory. It requires either a lot more money, a lot more flexibility, or a lot more miles. Admittedly, the passenger in question had the miles, but it must be a bitter pill for an EXP to redeem an AAnytime Award when there are SWUs sitting in your account.

But this is why I think Premium Economy is a good product (mentioned in my post above.)
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:21 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA PLT, VS GLD, HY PLT, MC GLD, HH GLD
If I were AA I would have crafted a response something like "As a gesture of goodwill we will let you keep your miles but downgrade you from Explat to Gold so good luck getting any upgrades. Oh, and by the way, we have alerted UA of your deceit and they will be reversing your status match! .. better get used to those coach seats old man."
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:22 am

This is abour integrity and honesty. He obiviously has neither.
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold

Agreed. International premium cabin seats are AA's bread and butter. Screwing around with them is dangerous territory, especially when there are tens of thousands of dollars of revenue at stake.

That's why double bookings are not allowed, especially in this kind of scenario.
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:29 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
+ 1
+2

Originally Posted by paultx View Post
if i were aa i would have crafted a response something like "as a gesture of goodwill we will let you keep your miles but downgrade you from explat to gold so good luck getting any upgrades. Oh, and by the way, we have alerted ua of your deceit and they will be reversing your status match! .. Better get used to those coach seats old man." :d:d:d
+1 :d
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Agreed. International premium cabin seats are AA's bread and butter. Screwing around with them is dangerous territory, especially when there are tens of thousands of dollars of revenue at stake.

That's why double bookings are not allowed, especially in this kind of scenario.
Exactly. His sense of entitlement to a J seat based on a VIP was what killed me. If needs it that bad, he can purchase it. I hate Y too. But there are few people who have a bona fide medical reason not to be there.

If he wants to cancel trips when his upgrades don't come through - thats absolutely fine. That's within his rights as a ticket purchaser. Inventory shrinkage is not.
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:33 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vail View Post
Of course AA was vengeful--that is how thet act--so they lost an EXP for absolutelty no reason.
If they would have accepted his apology and moved on like other businesses he would still fly them.
That is not how to run a business---but they will not be running it for much longer--management will inevitably get tossed for the poor performance--or they will go bankrupt.
Your view is totally wrong! AA has reasonable rules and restrictions. This customer has committed fraud. AA could have taken away all of his miles and closed his AAdvantage account for booking with fraudulent intent.

Trust me, as an AA employee, I saw this and similar things go on EVERY day. I even caught a church official in a lie one time about a sticker upgrade. Before we had e-ticketing, upgrade stickers had "magically" disappeared from their tickets before boarding. They got on the plane with their upgraded seats, but it was well documented and sent to the appropriate authorities within AA for followup.

Oh, and AA has been known to alert UA about "passengers" like this. This is obviously a self-important person, who thinks the world revolves around him. Seems like we've seen a lot of these people in the world over the past couple of years...
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:33 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Serves him right. He was lucky that they did not take all his miles and fine him. lose an EXP? It is not impossible that he has other little tricks in his armoury and therefore one wonders if he should ever have been an EXP in the first place.

If he wanted International Business Class that badly he should pay for it like anyone else. No sympathy at all.

Search this Thread