Search

Connection Time ORD-LGA-BOS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 MM/Lifetime Plat, AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Connection Time ORD-LGA-BOS

Hi -

To take advantage of the triple EQM between LGA and BOS, I've scheduled some out and backs - ORD-LGA-BOS-LGA-ORD.

Now I've learned that LGA to BOS involves a terminal transfer with another pass through security. Assuming the ORD-LGA leaves on time (yes, I know that's an assumption this summer!) and arrives LGA on time, I would have 80 minutes to make the transfer. Does that sound reasonable to change terminals and pass through security (a knee replacement requires the pat-down) in the 12 noon to 1 pm time frame?

Or, should I start stressing now...

As always, thank you for any insights!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:46 pm
Suspended

It should be no problem. The distance is relatively close. However, you should consider routing ORD-BOS-LGA-ORD. The AC at LGA is in the pier where the ORD flights leave. On your routing while you arrive where the AC is, once you get to the pier for the BOS flights there is no club and not worth the pass back through security if there is a delay.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 MM/Lifetime Plat, AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Wow - thank you for the reassurance and for the insights on the AC locations! I appreciate it!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
However, you should consider routing ORD-BOS-LGA-ORD. The AC at LGA is in the pier where the ORD flights leave.
Routing straight ORD-BOS on the outbound would yield 867 EQM for that portion.

The OP's original outbound routing ORD-LGA-BOS would yield 2,466 EQM (1,233 x 2 with the DEQM bonus).

If the purpose of this run is EQM as mentioned then I'd stick with the original. An extra 20 mins in the LGA AC isn't worth the 1,599 EQM you'd be giving up.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:05 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
80 min is plenty of time. Personally, I usually give myself about 15 min to get from the AC in councourse D over to my Eagle gate in concourse C.

Max of 3-4 min to get out of your arriving concourse (D), 3-4 min to walk over to the other concourse (C). Even with a really long security wait (10-15 min), an additional 5 min for the pat-down, and 1-2 min to get to your Eagle gate, you'll have plenty of time. The Eagle gates are right after security.

(Granted, the last time I was doing your run, my BOS-LGA was delayed a bit. As I got off the Eagle flight, I could hear my name being paged for the ORD flight. By the time I cleared security at the other concourse, the plane had already pushed back from the gate. A short walk to the AC and 3 min later, I was re-booked on a flight leaving an hour later, and my upgrade cleared by the time I got to the gate.)

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 20, 2010 at 9:31 pm Reason: Clarified terminology - in this case, C/D are "concourses," not terminals
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Routing straight ORD-BOS on the outbound would yield 867 EQM for that portion.

The OP's original outbound routing ORD-LGA-BOS would yield 2,466 EQM (1,233 x 2 with the DEQM bonus).

If the purpose of this run is EQM as mentioned then I'd stick with the original. An extra 20 mins in the LGA AC isn't worth the 1,599 EQM you'd be giving up.
I should have said ORD-BOS-LGA-BOS-ORD which would mean OP would not have to go through security at LGA.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:48 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I should have said ORD-BOS-LGA-BOS-ORD which would mean OP would not have to go through security at LGA.
ORD-BOS does not qualify for the promotion.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dstan
ORD-BOS does not qualify for the promotion.
OP is coming from ORD I believe. My point was that if he stages his BOS-LGA mileage runs from BOS w the turn at LGA then he doesn't have to re-clear security. Is ORD-LGA part of the promo?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:59 pm

Is ORD-LGA part of the promo?
Its the bigger part of the promotion
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Its the bigger part of the promotion
gotcha nearly all my AA flying goes into my BAEC so I generally am oblivious to AA mileage promos.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I'm stunned at how fast the miles are posting (not the EQM). I got back from ORD-LGA-BOS-LGA-ORD yesterday afternoon and the miles had posted this a.m. Almost 10K, with the EXP bonus. ^
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:09 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
gotcha nearly all my AA flying goes into my BAEC so I generally am oblivious to AA mileage promos.
Ahh! I'd figured you'd just forgotten. (Here's the NYTPL thread with the T&C just in case you're interested.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.