Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is EXP award availability?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

How is EXP award availability?

Do you notice that large of difference in mile saver business and first awards?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
I haven't noticed differences in redeeming awards, but I don't redeem all that often. Or if I do, they are generally available.

Where I do notice the differences are when calling for eVIPs or sticker upgrades. On many occasions, the agents have been able to confirm the eVIPs even when the flight was showing C0 in Sabre.

Similarly, I have been able to confirm sticker upgrades in advance when they did not show available to PLT members.

That said, it is a published benefit for expanded inventory for awards, so I presume there are indeed those who have benefitted from this perk.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Fairmont PC Plat
Originally Posted by RChavez
That said, it is a published benefit for expanded inventory for awards, so I presume there are indeed those who have benefitted from this perk.
Is this expanded award inventory a benefit only for EXP? I am currently PLT, but will make EXP in 1.5 months, so it won't really matter, but I am curious nonetheless.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by doodley
Is this expanded award inventory a benefit only for EXP? I am currently PLT, but will make EXP in 1.5 months, so it won't really matter, but I am curious nonetheless.
Yes, benefit only for EXP.

EDITED TO ADD:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...efitsChart.jsp
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
But I though it was only for Coach awards? It's not a formal additional fare bucket is it? (This info is not on the wiki, as far as I can tell)
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
But I though it was only for Coach awards? It's not a formal additional fare bucket is it? (This info is not on the wiki, as far as I can tell)
The benefits guide describes it as "additional MileSAAver award seating availability." Since MileSAAver awards are available for Y and F, sounds to me like it could work for either.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: A few
it is across all classes. it is very hard to tell how much additional availability there is but anecdotally it seems to be good. the few times i have called there has been more availability domestically than aa.com shows.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
it is across all classes. it is very hard to tell how much additional availability there is but anecdotally it seems to be good. the few times i have called there has been more availability domestically than aa.com shows.
I've also had EXP agents find domestic flights that I couldn't find on the AA website.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by vxmike
I've also had EXP agents find domestic flights that I couldn't find on the AA website.
+1.

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
No, there is expanded award inventory for Bus and First as well.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
I've only used it once. I called the EXP desk and asked them about getting a SAAver award on a flight. They said that nothing was available, but offered to put in a request to Revenue Management. They said I should call back after 8 am the next day. I called back, and RM had granted the request, and we got two seats in coach as requested. ^
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by vxmike
There's a lot that doesn't show up on the Web site. ExpertFlyer will find it, too. (As a lowly Platinum now, though EP in the past, I used EF last month to find two Y saver award seats BOS-CDG for the day after tomorrow. The rez agent confirmed that they were available, but aa.com didn't show the flights.)

Originally Posted by janetdoe
I've only used it once. I called the EXP desk and asked them about getting a SAAver award on a flight. They said that nothing was available, but offered to put in a request to Revenue Management. They said I should call back after 8 am the next day. I called back, and RM had granted the request, and we got two seats in coach as requested. ^
Basically, after the initial allocation, AA releases additional award seats for anyone when yield management says there's a very high probability that they won't be sold. The Revenue Management (or Yield Management) folks can get the exact number. If it's fairly high, even if it's below the threshold for automatic release, they'll release seats for EP requests. If it's low, they won't. The difference in the two thresholds is large enough to be useful much of the time, but it's no guarantee. When I was EP I had it come down both ways more than once. (Having a close personal friend on the EP desk didn't help. It wasn't her decision.)
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
I'm glad that it worked out for you that way. The EXP desk is my single favorite benefit of EXP status....
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, 3 MM
EXP expanded award availability on aa.com?

If you are logged in on aa.com, so the system knows you are EXP, does that open expanded award availability, or do you have to phone the EXP desk and request it verbally?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bdemaria
No, there is expanded award inventory for Bus and First as well.
And possibly with upgrades.. I have seen C0 and have been immediately confirmed, even BEFORE buying the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.