FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Does the date of joining the program matter? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1107160-does-date-joining-program-matter.html)

jcm043 Jul 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Does the date of joining the program matter?

I joined AAdvantage back in May 09 and have flown over 100,000 miles since then.

Last week I was going through some old letters and found that I was a member back in 1995, as my parents flew on a AA flight to see my grandparents for the summer.

If I use the older # from 1995 help me in preference in anyway?

Also can they transfer all of my info and stats to the older account?

They are both my accounts.

jbcarioca Jul 19, 2010 1:21 pm

I don't think it makes any difference at all, but they do show the join date on aa.com so if you're nostalgic it may be worth asking to consolidate to the older account. Mine says Thursday October 29, 1981. Why Thursday matters, or the date, I don't know but AA certainly does not want us to forget. There's even a thread somewhere on this forum comparing ancient AAdvantage numbers and formats.

gemac Jul 19, 2010 2:02 pm

If you joined early enough (like jbcarioca and I did), your AAdvantage number is really a number, not numbers and letters. If you run into really old AAgents (in person or on the telephone), they recognize what a purely numeric number means, and they are impressed. It doesn't really get me anything extra, but it is kinda neat.

Your 1995 joining was much too late, you would have an alphanumeric number.

marksskram Jul 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by jcm043 (Post 14325923)
I joined AAdvantage back in May 09 and have flown over 100,000 miles since then.

Last week I was going through some old letters and found that I was a member back in 1995, as my parents flew on a AA flight to see my grandparents for the summer.

If I use the older # from 1995 help me in preference in anyway?

Also can they transfer all of my info and stats to the older account?

They are both my accounts.

It most likely will make no difference. You can however call and have them "merge" the accounts and the older date will show as your join date.

RChavez Jul 19, 2010 2:16 pm

If you merge the accounts, don't your program totals also get merged?

clacko Jul 19, 2010 2:56 pm

call aadvantage cs, if you have any mi's that haven't expired [don't remember the dates], merge the accounts....good luck....

videomaker Jul 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by RChavez (Post 14326450)
If you merge the accounts, don't your program totals also get merged?

Good point. That could be an AAdvantage.

marksskram Jul 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by clacko (Post 14326672)
call aadvantage cs, if you have any mi's that haven't expired [don't remember the dates], merge the accounts....good luck....

As mentioned above, your PTD (program to date AKA lifetime) miles will get merged too. Definitely do it.

swag Jul 19, 2010 4:10 pm

A decade ago, AA celebrated the 20th anniversary of the AAdvantage program by giving original members a 20K mile gift.

That's the only case I can think of that join date mattered.

Catbert10 Jul 19, 2010 6:26 pm

Merging accounts moves you closer to lifetime status. Even though the miles may be gone from the old account due to inactivity, they still count toward your lifetime total.

Max M Jul 19, 2010 7:50 pm

For the 25th anniversary of the AAdvantage Program, Avis offered additional bonus miles for rentals based upon how long you've been an AAdvantage Member:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ary-promo.html

I'm hoping AAdvantage will offer some wicked awesome bonuses for the 30th anniversary of the AAdvantage program in May 2011. :D

jbcarioca Jul 20, 2010 10:35 am

I completely forgot about those, maybe I have been flying AA too much for too long. Well, we can hope they do something again. I wish they did something other than luggage tags and eVIPs for extra millions of miles.

ajnaro Jul 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca (Post 14326082)
I don't think it makes any difference at all, but they do show the join date on aa.com so if you're nostalgic it may be worth asking to consolidate to the older account. Mine says Thursday October 29, 1981. Why Thursday matters, or the date, I don't know but AA certainly does not want us to forget. There's even a thread somewhere on this forum comparing ancient AAdvantage numbers and formats.

Where do you see this information? For some reason, my aa.com defaults to Chile (although I am in Rio) and I see no such information.

SFO777 Jul 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 14326343)
If you joined early enough (like jbcarioca and I did), your AAdvantage number is really a number, not numbers and letters. If you run into really old AAgents (in person or on the telephone), they recognize what a purely numeric number means, and they are impressed. It doesn't really get me anything extra, but it is kinda neat.

Of course, it also means that we are really old. :eek:

Xero Jul 20, 2010 6:40 pm

And if you do merge the accounts, get those old miles back by doing a reengagement challenge:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ment_Challenge