Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

SJC / San Jose, California Admirals Club - CLOSED as of Sep 17, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The San José, California Norman Y. Mineta International Airport / SJC no longer has an Admirals Club, as AA has de-emphasized this airport.

As of 9 Jan 2013 there is a new lounge near the Federal Inspection across from gate A-15 (third level), Club@SJC, which sells day passes and is a Priority Club and Diners Club lounge (free to ANA Business pax to TYO) ; it offers courtesy WiFi, work carrels with PCs, shower facilities, beverages and snacks etc. Hours 0500 - 2200. Link.

Link to FlyerTalk thread.

/American AAdvantage Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

SJC / San Jose, California Admirals Club - CLOSED as of Sep 17, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by dabears1020
As of now AS does not, but it's obvious that they are making SJC into somewhat of a hub. I would guess in about a year there will be plans for a BR at SJC. I believe what was said at the Gold event was they wont open a BR at SJC unless they close SFO, and honestly I can't see SFO staying open much longer.
Originally Posted by SFO777
Maybe true at the moment, but each views SJC entirely differently. AS has recently added and continues to add numerous PTP non-stops.
I think AS has been tactical at SJC rather than making it into a hub. In fact, there is little connecting traffic, maybe an occasional through flight from PDX to AUS. AS wants to beef up Hawaii so they are seeing where they can find demand, and with AA abandoning the SJC-AUS direct flight, AS saw an opportunity and with lower costs maybe they can make it work.

The jury is out on what AS's long-term plans are. Often AS doesn't have a plan and tests a market. If it generates enough demand and revenue, they stay. If not, good-bye.

AS will need to build some Bay Area frequent flyer loyalty, and try to capture some AA flyers (there aren't many DL). Is LAX, AUS, SEA and PDX enough, plus one vacation to Hawaii?

AS once had service to Mexico from SJC but I think that's long gone. If you see some of those flights shift from SFO to SJC, that could make a difference. But SFO is more centrally located for more of the market.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
I am disappointed, but not surprised. Watching the gradual reduction of flights out of SJC from International destinations (CDG, TPA), Domestic destinations (JFK, ORD, and others), I suppose this was inevitable.

The local AC staff were great, and I will be sad to not see them on all of my trips.

Hopefully AA doesn't just give up on SJC like they did Oakland. I like my 15 minute drive to the local airport.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by seacarl
I think AS has been tactical at SJC rather than making it into a hub. In fact, there is little connecting traffic, maybe an occasional through flight from PDX to AUS. AS wants to beef up Hawaii so they are seeing where they can find demand, and with AA abandoning the SJC-AUS direct flight, AS saw an opportunity and with lower costs maybe they can make it work.

The jury is out on what AS's long-term plans are. Often AS doesn't have a plan and tests a market. If it generates enough demand and revenue, they stay. If not, good-bye.

AS will need to build some Bay Area frequent flyer loyalty, and try to capture some AA flyers (there aren't many DL). Is LAX, AUS, SEA and PDX enough, plus one vacation to Hawaii?

AS once had service to Mexico from SJC but I think that's long gone. If you see some of those flights shift from SFO to SJC, that could make a difference. But SFO is more centrally located for more of the market.
With the new LAX-SJC flight QX is starting, I would expect decent increase in connecting traffic, particularly on to AUS and Hawaii.

Of course, as it is right now SJC would not support a BR for PDX, but a year or so down the road it could be a whole different story.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Amercan made the announcement to their Admiral's Club staff systemwide last week. It's nice to see that no one talked about it directly here on FT until now. I will miss the SJC AAngels.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Amercan made the announcement to their Admiral's Club staff systemwide last week. It's nice to see that no one talked about it directly here on FT until now. I will miss the SJC AAngels.
That isn't completely true. I mentioned the issue of the quality staff at SJC and what awaits them post-AC. A number of other folks did so as well
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by All American Flyer
That isn't completely true. I mentioned the issue of the quality staff at SJC and what awaits them post-AC. A number of other folks did so as well
Carefully re-read my post. It was completely true. You can beat around the bush like I did too, but what I just said in this thread is completely true. No one came out directly and mentioned this would happen. Indeed, you actually said that the new Hawaiian lounge sharing agreement bode well for the survival of the SJC club. Unfortunately, you were wrong and this had already been announced internally at AA and was a done deal, hence my veiled response to you then. This was the worst kept secret at AA, but not here on the board.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I noticed that the AAngels were exceptionally gracious when I wanted to renew my membership at SAN last week. We have ~14 mainline flts daily - another 13 Eagle flts too, but from the commuter terminal so doesn't really count. UA and DL both can sustain one also, though.

Now that ESpen36's wonderful survey has gotten me thinking, what is AA's business plan for the ACs? Are there any expansion plans, and where and why? Is this closure largely a difficult decision made after rents were raised too high, or is there a larger strategy? DL and CO seem to do a better job of starting discussion of this on their boards.

I would still love to know what it is about the business model of DL/CO/US/AS that allow them to give free booze in clubs while UA/AA cannot or do not.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by bdemaria
If true, I don't see a reason to renew my AC membership so AA will lose even more $$ from me.
Its a good thing I didn't renew my Aadmiral's Club Membership last month.....I was seriously considering renewing my membership. Obviously not anymore..

Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow, major bummer indeed. SJC is a great AC with a terrific staff.
^

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Just another day in AA's contraction of the Bay Area market...Sad news for the folks that use this club regularly and the employees involved. I was there is May and only person was on duty working the dragon position. No bartender, and there was one other guest in the club at the time. I suppose by swiping my Amex in I did my part

I'd be curious to know what their rental rate at SJC is. SJC is one of the most expensive airports to operate out of, yet the local politicians and Bay Area customers still wonder why they have such little air service and amenities at the airport (like the Admirals Club). Perhaps we would be able to find this information through open records/sunshine law from the City of San Jose.

I think it really says something about the politics and airport administration there if smaller markets with similar AA presence like Austin, TX or Kansas City, MO can sustain Admirals Clubs yet San Jose can't.
I've been to SJC Airport meetings as well...Half of them are completely clueless and the other 49% could care less as long as they get their salaries and pensions......

Originally Posted by mvedda
Agreed. Although the City of San Jose is trying but have a huge challenge ahead of them.

A presentation from a City Council Study Session back in March has some interesting facts/projections:

http://www.sjc.org/about/newsroom/20..._comp_pres.pdf

Thanks for the link ^, I'll be definitely taking a look at this...

Cheers.

Originally Posted by brock256
I agree that this won't make me switch airports, and as long as they manage to keep an early morning flight from SJC to DFW, and a late night flight DFW-SJC, I'll be using it from time to time. It's just disappointing for those of us who fly out of SJC, and definitely no good for the employees of the club.

Are there any other airlines besides WN that are really "bigger players" at SJC any more?
No not really. That being said, AA will probably keep SJC-DFW/ORD going as there is really no competition on the route (WN flying to MDW does cater to some other pax).

MQ to LAX will be interesting to see as well...wouldn't be surprised if they cut a lot of that as well...

Originally Posted by formeraa
First, PeoplExpress was much larger than AirCal. Second, EWR is part of the NYC area, the largest concentration of people in the US. Third, Asia was (and is) far more regulated than Europe. So, route authorities were hard to come by. Fourth, dot com bust hit SJC very, very hard. Fifth, SJC originally had runway length issues which caused regular weight restrictions on both NRT and HNL.
Runway length issue has been solved. The Bay Area is huge as well...large enough for 3 airports. Dot.com bust was almost a decade ago. The situation in 2001-2003 was quite bad but things have stabilized a bit the past 5-6 years.

Originally Posted by mvoight
Actually it's $15 and has been for a few years
http://www.sjc.org/travelers.php?pag...overview&exp=2

Of course there are other places about as convenient to get to. I park for free at First and Metro on weekends, and park a block further on weekdays. There is a free shuttle from first and Metro.
IIRC, last time I rode the #10 from the VTA stop, the driver was saying they might end that route....

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I plan on letting my AC membership lapse as a result of this closure.
I just did....^

edit: Even with all of the AA cuts the past 10 years, I'm still going to stick with AA however.....
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Carefully re-read my post. It was completely true. You can beat around the bush like I did too, but what I just said in this thread is completely true. No one came out directly and mentioned this would happen. Indeed, you actually said that the new Hawaiian lounge sharing agreement bode well for the survival of the SJC club. Unfortunately, you were wrong and this had already been announced internally at AA and was a done deal, hence my veiled response to you then. This was the worst kept secret at AA, but not here on the board.
I stand corrected. I didn't realize that you were discussing the fact that the closure of the SJC club was announced internally last week though FTers are only (for the most part) learning of it this week. I thought you were discussing the fact that no one had mentioned the AAngels. Your language was a bit unclear but I definitely should have read it more closely. My bad. Also, I thought that you were just speculating when you said "nothing is forever" (a fair assumption on FT) but it's clear that you knew something most of us didn't. I end up looking like John McCain when he said "the fundamentals of the economy are strong" on the eve of the 2008 stock market crash by making the very optimistic statement about the club's survival not a week before its closure is announced!

Last edited by All American Flyer; Jul 19, 2010 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by albutt27
For me, I love flying out of SJC and prefer it rather than spending another 30 minutes on the road each way to SFO. SJC airport is new and has wireless. I'm not going to switch airports just because AA doesn't have the AC lounge anymore. I probably won't renew my AC membership. If AA starts withdrawing more flights, then I'll go back to UA/CO. And it says that AA is becoming a smaller player.
(emphasis mine)

FYI - free wireless is coming to SFO eff 01 September.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...-1-2010-a.html
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by riteshraja
For those of you who are based out of SJC - isnt an AC at your destination or connection point more valuable then at the home airport? I find myself using my home AC (SNA) quite a bit and they have saved me quite a few times by rerouting me and/or letting me know of delays but it were to close I would just get to the airport a little later - go straight to the gate and wait it out the 5-10 min before boarding.
I liked lounging around at the SJC AC before a flight, and I would typically get there an hour or two before boarding so I could get some work done. The club was always a more private space than the main terminal. Remember it was like this photo only two years ago. I guess my new retreat will be down by gates 1 - 4. Is anyone even using those gates besides the single morning HA flight?

The SJC AC staff was always proactive about seeing if upgrades cleared at the gate. They were also good about making announcements when flights were boarding. It was a touch of personal service that you don't see at the larger clubs.

Let's wait and see how AS is going to proceed. I agree with the assessment above that SJC isn't really set up as a hub per se with the AS routes, but at some point I would think they would have enough frequent flyer traffic to justify keeping a Board Room open. I would say they could probably do it on the AUS, SEA, and PDX traffic alone owing to the number of business travelers on these routes.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:21 pm

With the new LAX-SJC flight QX is starting, I would expect decent increase in connecting traffic, particularly on to AUS and Hawaii.
AS flies nonstop LAX-PDX and LAX-SEA with high frequency, so no reason for SJC connections. SJC is far out of the way for flights to AUS or Hawaii, at best a few marginal connecting passengers. SJC is an endpoint for AS/QX, not a hub. I'd love to see a BR. AS group needs to make a major expansion before this is a hub. Maybe they have an opportunity like they own SEA. Maybe not. Probably not.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by seacarl
AS flies nonstop LAX-PDX and LAX-SEA with high frequency, so no reason for SJC connections. SJC is far out of the way for flights to AUS or Hawaii, at best a few marginal connecting passengers. SJC is an endpoint for AS/QX, not a hub. I'd love to see a BR. AS group needs to make a major expansion before this is a hub. Maybe they have an opportunity like they own SEA. Maybe not. Probably not.
It doesn't make a ton of geographical sense, but I have noticed a few LAX-SJC-AUS sales already. Sure the average joe would probably just take a direct flight, but for example someone like me might make use of this were I to go to Hawaii. I'd probably rather connect through SJC and earn AS EQMs rather than taking AA or DL direct and just getting partner EQMs, assuming the price is right.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:01 am

I'd probably rather connect through SJC and earn AS EQMs rather than taking AA or DL direct and just getting partner EQMs, assuming the price is right.
AS does this weird thing, which I notice when I connect through PDX, that although there is a minimum of 500 RDM, if the route is say 200 actual miles, you get 200 EQM and 800 bonus miles - so you get shorted on elite qualifying miles for the per-flight minimum if you take a short connection. Other airlines give you 500 EQM for the short connection.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:15 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
A lot of people blame everything on the dot-com bubble. That was a long time ago, and Silicon Valley has improved a lot. The Bay Area is home to 8 million people, making it the 4th largest urban area in the country (for some reason government statistics count San Francisco and San Jose as two separate urban areas, when they are really one). It is not the market's fault that AA is not doing well, it's AA's fault of not being able to profit.

I know a lot of us here don't like to count WN as a "real airline," but they somehow took over and are doing very well at SJC. As a Californian, and like many Californians, I love my intra-Califonria flights. WN allows me to get from any Bay Area airport to any Southern California airport, plus Vegas. Easy! And with their FF program, a lot of people get their free flights fast. That's why WN became popular in California.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.