Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

SJC / San Jose, California Admirals Club - CLOSED as of Sep 17, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The San José, California Norman Y. Mineta International Airport / SJC no longer has an Admirals Club, as AA has de-emphasized this airport.

As of 9 Jan 2013 there is a new lounge near the Federal Inspection across from gate A-15 (third level), Club@SJC, which sells day passes and is a Priority Club and Diners Club lounge (free to ANA Business pax to TYO) ; it offers courtesy WiFi, work carrels with PCs, shower facilities, beverages and snacks etc. Hours 0500 - 2200. Link.

Link to FlyerTalk thread.

/American AAdvantage Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

SJC / San Jose, California Admirals Club - CLOSED as of Sep 17, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by SFO777
But look at all the mad dogs we get to fly around in.
I am so glad AS retired theirs. They are inhumane for flights over 2 hours.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I asked about the SJC AC personnel a few minutes ago here at the SFO AC, and I was told that three employees would be moving up here to fill vacancies. Others could bump into counter positions at SJC.

I used to be a regular SJC flyer, but that stopped about 4 years ago when the price advantage from there just disappeared (pretty much the same for Sacramento, where I tend to fly Alaska now).
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Acronyms answer my feelings on this ....

FFS ... ... ... OMFG ...

I will definitely be stopping into the AC today to give condolences to the folks .... and will send an email to AA about it ...

FWIW ....

+-ADT
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Never been to SJC (the airport) and have no reason to ever go. But to those of you affected by this change: remember that a FF-letter writing campaign did get US to reverse the decision to close the RDU club last year. Both RDU and BWI were slated to be closed. But ultimately the RDU decision was reversed. And US is a far less loyalty-focused, business-focused airline than AA. So if you're affected, its probably worth the time to write your e-mail. It will most likely be in vain. But you never know.....
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... seriously? I'm struggling with envisioning myself intentionally modifying my travel itinerary to visit a ... Admiral's Club...

I mean a Flagship Lounge perhaps. Some International OneWorld Lounges perhaps. But an AC?
I dunno; it strikes me that if you're going someplace that's relatively convenient to both (many places on the peninsula, most of the outer East Bay), and the fare is in the same rough ballpark for both (sometimes has been, although at some points past, SJC has been much cheaper and lately SFO has generally been better), if there isn't a big advantage in schedule for one over the other... why not?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by JerryFF
AA not only destroyed the AirCal network, they subsequently bought Reno Air and then dismantled their west coast network as well.
Plus the TWA network has been dismantled except for LHR
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... seriously? I'm struggling with envisioning myself intentionally modifying my travel itinerary to visit a ... Admiral's Club...

I mean a Flagship Lounge perhaps. Some International OneWorld Lounges perhaps. But an AC?

Sorry... I just don't get it.

Oh well, enjoy SJC airport!

Regards
Actually the flight was cheaper to SJC rather than SFO and the connection through DFW gave miles needed towards retaining EXP. And it was like what the h..l, might as well see another AC (which has showers).
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Actually the flight was cheaper to SJC rather than SFO and the connection through DFW gave miles needed towards retaining EXP. And it was like what the h..l, might as well see another AC (which has showers).
There is one shower. You have to know about it otherwise you wouldn't know it was there. I've never seen anyone request it in all of the times I've been in the SJC AC.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Majuki
There is one shower. You have to know about it otherwise you wouldn't know it was there. I've never seen anyone request it in all of the times I've been in the SJC AC.
I've used it multiple times when I had early morning departures.

(On another post regarding a letter writing campaign)
The only way this would work would be if AA added flights to SJC. A letter writing campaign is not going to keep a club open when the airline has only 12 flights per day (someone noted that number earlier)
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
I've used it multiple times when I had early morning departures.

(On another post regarding a letter writing campaign)
The only way this would work would be if AA added flights to SJC. A letter writing campaign is not going to keep a club open when the airline has only 12 flights per day (someone noted that number earlier)
SNA has just 14 and has an AC. Atleast for now.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
I used to use the SJC AC shower back in the day when they had the SJC-NRT-SJC flights.

Not much need anymore.

Cheers.

Last edited by msv777; Jul 19, 2010 at 2:45 pm
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
As others have mentioned, they have a great staff at SJC. One of the AAngels there took charge proactively when a flight cancelled, which was some of the best service I've ever had at an AC.

Sounds like that airport has some problems.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by riteshraja
SNA has just 14 and has an AC. Atleast for now.
I wouldn't count on it unless AA finds another west coast carrier to buy and destroy. Due to the SJC cutbacks, I didn't renew my AC membership this year, even with that nice $70 anniversary discount
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by mvoight
I wouldn't count on it unless AA finds another west coast carrier to buy and destroy.
Like US?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Like US?
Or Alaska/Horizon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.