Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

SJC / San Jose, California Admirals Club - CLOSED as of Sep 17, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The San José, California Norman Y. Mineta International Airport / SJC no longer has an Admirals Club, as AA has de-emphasized this airport.

As of 9 Jan 2013 there is a new lounge near the Federal Inspection across from gate A-15 (third level), Club@SJC, which sells day passes and is a Priority Club and Diners Club lounge (free to ANA Business pax to TYO) ; it offers courtesy WiFi, work carrels with PCs, shower facilities, beverages and snacks etc. Hours 0500 - 2200. Link.

Link to FlyerTalk thread.

/American AAdvantage Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

SJC / San Jose, California Admirals Club - CLOSED as of Sep 17, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
A real shame, if true. SJC is one of my favorite non-hub domestic ACs with a nice amount of space and a great staff.

-FlyerBeek
Agreed. Greatly reduces value of San Jose as alternative to SFO.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: Grounded
Originally Posted by mvedda
Agreed. Although the City of San Jose is trying but have a huge challenge ahead of them.

A presentation from a City Council Study Session back in March has some interesting facts/projections:

http://www.sjc.org/about/newsroom/20..._comp_pres.pdf

Cheers.
Wow, that link is amazingly interesting. Since JFK is one of my primary destinations, slide 23 says it all to me.

I guess I've been an SFO-based flyer this whole time despite living in Santa Clara, but just another nail in the SJC coffin for me. It feels as if SJC will be nothing more than WN, AS, and a little bit of B6 when all's said and done.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Everybody is cutting back at SJC these days, not just AA. United does not even fly SJC-ORD/IAD anymore.

The airport is too expensive to operate from - AA wanted to keep the club open, but the lease rates were just too high. SJC backed itself into a corner - it started to lose service, it had to start raising fees, but the more fees go up, the more carriers cutback.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Executive Platinum, Hyatt - Diamond Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
For me, I love flying out of SJC and prefer it rather than spending another 30 minutes on the road each way to SFO. SJC airport is new and has wireless. I'm not going to switch airports just because AA doesn't have the AC lounge anymore. I probably won't renew my AC membership. If AA starts withdrawing more flights, then I'll go back to UA/CO. And it says that AA is becoming a smaller player.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by rcc_chen
Sad to say, it's official. The folks at the SJC AC tell me they'll be closed as of 9/17. Not enough flights anymore. 12 per day. 3 gates.
Sad times. I'd only visited the SJC AC once, but it was nice and staff were very pleasant. On a tangential and slightly selfish note, with ~15 daily flights in Seattle (and plenty of codeshares with AS/QX) I'd love to see an AC again up here, perhaps in the old DL CRC space in the A concourse. The AA gates aren't close to the other clubs in Seattle, and I'd really enjoy a quiet place to sit.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Very sad about what has happened to SJC. As a comparison, Continental bought People Express and made EWR into a major internatitional and domestic hub. AA bought Air Cal, added many flights including NRT and HNL,
so what happended. EWR takes traffic from JFK and LGA, reduces congestion, so what did this not work with SJC releaving congestion out of SFO.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
I'm too heavily invested in AA to switch anytime. I'm on track to make EXP by the end of the year and well on my way to lifetime status - both thanks to FT and reading the posts on this forum ^. The renovated SFO AC will soften the blow a bit, and I understand that this was an issue over the rental price. The larger concern is about AA's long-term commitment to the Bay Area. They've left us west coast folks stranded.

A consolation prize would be AS opening a Board Room, even if it means a hike down to the opposite end of the airport. At least the terminal renovation has brought in some real food options. Two years ago we only had a Burger King in terminal A for food options, and the terminal itself was overcrowded and dreadful. With the service cutbacks, you can head down the open area around gates 1-4 and have all of the space you need.
Thanks for looking on the bright side! Glad you're sticking with AA! The closure of the club will give me a good opportunity to explore some of the new establishments that have been popping up in Terminal A. I will miss the skilled AAgents though. I hope that they'll be able to find jobs elsewhere (I'm sure any company would be lucky to have them as admins/receptionists)
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvedda
Agreed. Although the City of San Jose is trying but have a huge challenge ahead of them.

A presentation from a City Council Study Session back in March has some interesting facts/projections:

http://www.sjc.org/about/newsroom/20..._comp_pres.pdf

Cheers.
I dont get the point of the presentation. Airlines are losing money? No kidding. Passenger traffic was down and is just starting to pick up. News?

Stupid short term thinking on the city's part and they should be made to compensate AA for the raucous they made outside the AC during Jan of this year when they had some sort of construction going on.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: Grounded
Originally Posted by albutt27
If AA starts withdrawing more flights, then I'll go back to UA/CO. And it says that AA is becoming a smaller player.
Star Alliance has basically quit SJC already. UA's DEN and LAX, CO's got IAH, and US is PHX only. Compared to that, AA doesn't even seem too far behind.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MAH4546
The airport is too expensive to operate from - AA wanted to keep the club open, but the lease rates were just too high. SJC backed itself into a corner - it started to lose service, it had to start raising fees, but the more fees go up, the more carriers cutback.
I live in downtown San Jose, so it absolutely kills me to drive past SJC to fly out of SFO all the time. (According to my Flight Memory, in 2009 I had 44 flights into/out of SFO compared with only 12 for SJC. And so far this year, I haven't used SJC at all.) But compared with SFO, SJC has always had less-frequent service, higher fares, and less-comfortable terminals.

I suppose they've fixed that last one, with the spanking-new Terminal B, but I don't know what good it will do if they don't fix the first two. Raising prices surely won't help. As it stands, SJC is turning into a white elephant.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Very sad about what has happened to SJC. As a comparison, Continental bought People Express and made EWR into a major internatitional and domestic hub. AA bought Air Cal, added many flights including NRT and HNL, so what happened. EWR takes traffic from JFK and LGA, reduces congestion, so what did this not work with SJC releaving congestion out of SFO.
Would imagine the dot-com bust pretty much did in SJC the first time.
You can't compare air traffic for 6 million in the Bay Area to 15-20 million in the congested NYC/tri-state area. And other than weather issues, there is no congestion at SFO.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA MM
Originally Posted by albutt27
For me, I love flying out of SJC and prefer it rather than spending another 30 minutes on the road each way to SFO. SJC airport is new and has wireless. I'm not going to switch airports just because AA doesn't have the AC lounge anymore. I probably won't renew my AC membership. If AA starts withdrawing more flights, then I'll go back to UA/CO. And it says that AA is becoming a smaller player.
I agree that this won't make me switch airports, and as long as they manage to keep an early morning flight from SJC to DFW, and a late night flight DFW-SJC, I'll be using it from time to time. It's just disappointing for those of us who fly out of SJC, and definitely no good for the employees of the club.

Are there any other airlines besides WN that are really "bigger players" at SJC any more?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by brock256
I agree that this won't make me switch airports, and as long as they manage to keep an early morning flight from SJC to DFW, and a late night flight DFW-SJC, I'll be using it from time to time. It's just disappointing for those of us who fly out of SJC, and definitely no good for the employees of the club.

Are there any other airlines besides WN that are really "bigger players" at SJC any more?
I agree that it's not worth it to switch airports, but I will miss the quiet area to relax before flights. The AC staff was always great about checking up on flights and helping with issues that arose. It won't influence my airport decision, but I probably won't renew my membership when the time comes.

As for bigger players, I would say that AS/QX is a primary contender with WN at SJC. WN currently has 12 non-stop destinations. AS/QX currently have 9 year-round and one seasonal, and they will have 11 year-round and one seasonal, if not more, by March 2011. Speculation over on the AS forum is that SJC would only see a Board Room if the one at SFO closed. I wouldn't be opposed to SJC becoming an AS focus city more than it already is, Board Room included. We get EQMs as AA folk, and there's talk of checked luggage reciprocity by Q4'10. Now only if we could get into the upgrade queue...
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:42 pm

I wonder what the chances are that a last second stay of execution will be granted? Perhaps this is a game of political brinkmanship that can be hashed out in the next two month. First the airport will lose rent. Better to get a fair rent than none at all. Next comes the loss of jobs beyond the immediate staff. The facility needs to be maintained, cleaned, stocked with inventory, etc.

No matter what happens, I am hoping the AAngels will be offered positions at the SFO AC. Everyone there is great. I hope AA takes care of them as well as they have taken care of us. Guess the talk of sharing the lounge with HA is a moot point.

Like most folks, I am well invested in AA and will probably still fly into SJC. I'll miss having the AC when there is IRROPs.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WChou
I wonder what the chances are that a last second stay of execution will be granted? Perhaps this is a game of political brinkmanship that can be hashed out in the next two month. First the airport will lose rent. Better to get a fair rent than none at all. Next comes the loss of jobs beyond the immediate staff.
Good points, but that does assume that the city/airport bureaucrats understand this, or even care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.