Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award question-name change;route cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Award question-name change;route cancelled?

I booked award tickets ewr/dps in y for me,my sister and her grandaughter.We leave in 2 weeks:ewr-ord on aa and ord-nrt-dps on jl;her granddaughter has changed her mind and doesn't want to go.A few questions regarding cancelling her reservation and the redeposit fee:
1)Since jl won't be flying nrt-dps after October,if I wait til then to redeposit the miles-will the redeposit fee be waived?
and if not
2)Can I change the res to my name for a future flight?
Thanks....
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That JL is not operating the route in October has no impact on getting the fees waived since it has not affected you since you are booked for june

You cannot change the name on the ticket
Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:28 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold 1MM, BA Blue again :-(, Hilton Silver
Can the OP just redeposit the grandaughters ticket, sucking up the fee but at least getting the miles back?)
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed666
Can the OP just redeposit the grandaughters ticket, sucking up the fee but at least getting the miles back?)
Yes, but he was trying to scam around paying the fee
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
OP could change the dates on the grandaughter's ticket, but I suspect that isn't going to solve this problem.

There is often a cost to changing one's mind. This seems to me like a good time for the grandaughter to learn this important life lesson, provided she is of sufficient age to understand it and to pay the cost (or at least a portion of the cost).
Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

The grandaughter is 10 -yesterday was her birthday and this was her gift-and she is sick over this-she said "I don'd want to disappoint you but I'll miss my mom".She has travelled with us before so she's just as surprised as us at feeling like this-but I remember times in my life when I was a bit 'clingy'with my mom,so I do understand it.And yes,I was trying to save the redeposit fee if possible.I didn't know if I could change it to my name-now I know I can't; or since the ticket is good for a year but the routing won't be available after October, I didn't know how that would be handled.Anyway,I appreciate the helpful replies.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by gemac
This seems to me like a good time for the grandaughter to learn this important life lesson, provided she is of sufficient age to understand it and to pay the cost (or at least a portion of the cost).
No allowance for 30 weeks should cover the redeposit fee.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by samee
The grandaughter is 10 -yesterday was her birthday and this was her gift-and she is sick over this-she said "I don'd want to disappoint you but I'll miss my mom".She has travelled with us before so she's just as surprised as us at feeling like this-but I remember times in my life when I was a bit 'clingy'with my mom,so I do understand it.And yes,I was trying to save the redeposit fee if possible.I didn't know if I could change it to my name-now I know I can't; or since the ticket is good for a year but the routing won't be available after October, I didn't know how that would be handled.Anyway,I appreciate the helpful replies.
Change the dates as far out as possible, in hopes of a schedule change
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by mvoight
Change the dates as far out as possible, in hopes of a schedule change
Seconded...
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for that suggestion....
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by samee
10 is too young for the life lesson I was thinking of - this is not unusual in 10 year olds. Unfortunate for you, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.