JFK-MEL double in price

Old May 4, 2010, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, CO Plat, DL Plat, FB Plat, UA 1P, VA Plat, VS Silver, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
JFK-MEL double in price

I'm new to all this but I must say this is the most amazing community.

Quick question:
I've been keeping an eye on the prices for jfk- mel over the last few weeks and most of the airlines were hanging around $1100 or so. In the last couple of days the price on aa has gone up twice that. I find this quite strange as all other carriers are still around $1100 including Qantas which is actually the airline that aa codeshare with.
Any explanations?
Old May 4, 2010, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by aussieflyer
I'm new to all this but I must say this is the most amazing community.

Quick question:
I've been keeping an eye on the prices for jfk- mel over the last few weeks and most of the airlines were hanging around $1100 or so. In the last couple of days the price on aa has gone up twice that. I find this quite strange as all other carriers are still around $1100 including Qantas which is actually the airline that aa codeshare with.
Any explanations?
AA's inventory of the cheapest seats has run out. (My guess... )
Old May 4, 2010, 5:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
$1100 is a fare that i would have jumped on.for an aa code share.....

what date[s] are you looking for?.....good luck...
Old May 4, 2010, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, CO Plat, DL Plat, FB Plat, UA 1P, VA Plat, VS Silver, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
I was looking at 21/6-21/7.
I paid $1083 on qantas but I wanted the aa coseshare so I could do the platinum challenge. Guess ill have to wait to become elite on aa.
Old May 4, 2010, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
AA's inventory of the cheapest seats has run out. (My guess... )
Could be, but it seems weird that so many dates would run out all at the same time.
Old May 4, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA
Don't know if it's the case in this situation, but in the past I've noticed that AA fares increase drastically in price the first days of the week.

When I was looking for a fare to NBO (codeshare with BA for the Plat challenge) about 18 months ago, fares would regularly increase on monday and tuesday, as i recollect sometimes wednesday as well, then drop on wed or th. I watched the fares for several weeks before purchasing and the pattern stayed true with only minor variations on when the higher fares started and stopped.

I was watching fares to UIO this past december and the same pattern held true with fares thursday friday saturday, sometimes wednesday, sometimes sunday, being cheaper than monday and tuesday.

Might want to check later in the week, just in case.
Old May 4, 2010, 8:20 am

prices for jfk- mel over the last few weeks and most of the airlines were hanging around $1100 or so. In the last couple of days the price on aa has gone up twice that.

The last couple of days is also a new month. It is quite possible that AA had a sale fare that required purchase by April 30th.

Also I am not sure but would the QF flight with AA code qualify for the Platinum challenge?
Old May 4, 2010, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Also I am not sure but would the QF flight with AA code qualify for the Platinum challenge?
I spoke to a AA rep on the phone and she said that as long as there is an AA number on the flight it qualifies. However since the challenges are based on EQP, Qantas flights only get 0.5 per mile. Since jfk-mel is just over 20,000 miles it is enough for the required 10,000 EXP for the platinum challemge
Old May 4, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'd keep checking back if you don't have to book immediately. I flew LAX-SYD last month on an AA codeshare on Qantas and fares were all over the place when I was booking. In December they were fairly reasonable, 1100 roundtrip and then were anywhere from 1500 to 2500 roundtrip in January. When I finally booked in early February the price was back down to the 1100 it was in December. Not sure if this is normal for AA codeshares or just maybe Qantas flights they sell seats on?
Old May 4, 2010, 11:02 am

I spoke to a AA rep on the phone and she said that as long as there is an AA number on the flight it qualifies.

And looking at the Challenge Wiki confirms that you are right ( I could have done that 1st i suppose )
Old May 4, 2010, 11:48 am

1100 is the nominal 'low' price for the season. I would have booked that already if flying in June. But now that other airlines have the prices still at 1100 and aa jumped up quite a bit, I would wait and see if AA comes back down.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CX Silver, SPG
I tried to book the NYC-SYD as well, the codeshare price goes up from 1138 to 17xx, I am so mad at myself didn't book it on time, seems like the price goes up since 5/1
Old May 4, 2010, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I spoke to a AA rep on the phone and she said that as long as there is an AA number on the flight it qualifies. However since the challenges are based on EQP, Qantas flights only get 0.5 per mile. Since jfk-mel is just over 20,000 miles it is enough for the required 10,000 EXP for the platinum challemge
Actually, codeshare flights get EQP based on the fare class, so the comment about "Qantas flights only get 0.5 per mile" doesn't seem correct.
Old May 4, 2010, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Actually, codeshare flights get EQP based on the fare class, so the comment about "Qantas flights only get 0.5 per mile" doesn't seem correct.
You are right, I forgot to mention I was talking about those specific fares of around $1100 which are in the fare class that only get 0.5 EXP per mile.
Thanks for the correction.
Old May 4, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
I recently booked a LAX-HKG and the AA codeshare with Cathay was twice booking the Cathay flight number. I've found this to be case frequently. Unfortunately by not booking as the codeshare you don't get your elite 25% or 100% mileage bonus, but at least Cathay is 100% on the other earnings, unlike other partners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.