Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott and AAdvantage Partnership Ends June 30, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why would AA want to stop selling miles to Marriott?
My guess is that other airlines are now willing to sell Marriott miles for less money than they were before but AA is not willing to budge on price.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
I am very curious what happened here. It is rare to hear one of the largest airlines and one of largest hotel chain call an end to a partnership. I wonder if AA's recent promos with Hilton ticked off someone at Marriott? AA webiste seems to suddenly show some new/enhanced promos for Hyatt (5 stays gets you 25K bonus miles) and PC (new members between today and 05/14 get 4 times miles). Another interesting point, MR just launched a promo with DL, 5K miles every stay after first stay 05/01 thru Labor Day up to 60K. Maybe we will see a lot more Airlines becoming closer partners with certain hotel chains going forward?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: American ExPlt 4M, Marriott Plat
Kind of new to this forum, but if anyone has $.02 worth of adivce, it would be appreciated. I have about 600,000 mariott points...would you convert those to miles? I know it depends on what your plans are with them, do you want hotel stays are flights, but we now tend to rent condos or houses for vacation instead of staying at a hotel. Thoughts are appreciated
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tedward
That depends on how many you're converting. The best conversion ratio is 125,000 points to 50,000 AA miles, or 2.5:1.
TPs (Travel Packages) effectively result in a 1 for 1 exchange of MR points to AA miles.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LTP;Marriott Platinum
Doh! I guess I'll have to get those last few thousand points for my Cat 7 Travel Package soon and cash it in. Shouldn't be a problem getting the points, but my only worry is that they will stop the AA travel packages before June 30. (Plus I still have a Cat 5 package to use by the end of this year.)

Marriott Rewards is suddenly looking a lot less attractive and my dreams of LT Platinum on AA are a little further away.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
That settles it - I'm giving up on the whole AA LT plat game. It's too hard without MR travel packages, and with AA dropping to a distant third with the UA/CO merger, I'm not sure if its worth it anyway.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by tedward
I wonder if the "faceless bureaucrats" who made this decision were on the AA side, given that they're the only airline (at least that I know of) with this change.
On the other side of the coin, AA is the only airline where it is worthwhile to get miles from most rental car companies (i.e. they charge a small tax rather than .75 per day.) I'm totally guessing, but I'll bet the problem is on the Marriott side.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
TPs (Travel Packages) effectively result in a 1 for 1 exchange of MR points to AA miles.
I assume you are including the value of the "stay" part of the package to some up with your 1:1 value.

1 week stay at 1-5* hotel plus 120,000 miles costs 270,000 Marriott Rewards points (used to be 235k up to Jan 15, 2009).

That is how I have used up nearly all of my MR points over the years.

I'm very upset by this downgrade on Marriott's part.

From the threads above, sounds like the most likely theory is that other airlines are reducing their price/mile, and American does not see a need to. Marriott is the cheapskate wanting something for less just because others are more desperate for cash than American (whose AAdvantrage/mileage program is the best is the world).

Steve32
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by steve32

1 week stay at 1-5* hotel plus 120,000 miles costs 270,000 Marriott Rewards points (used to be 235k up to Jan 15, 2009).
That is exactly what I was planning to do with my next MR. I am not sure what I would do with 120k miles on any other airline.... So I may have to head back to the Hilton, which is where I originally started. To bad, as the Marriott is closer to my frequently visted office.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platnum, Marriott Lifetime Platnum
AA cancels Marriott

I was just informed by a supervisor at Marriott and also by AA customer service that AA instigated the cancellation.

Reason-not stated by either but I will be looking to fly other airlines now as I will continue to use the 7-night travel package and send the airline points elsewhere. I am both a Lifetime Plat with AA and Lifetime Plat with Marriott.

If memory serves me AA has in the last 4 years also ended the transfer relationship with American Express Membership Miles and also E-rewards. Not a way to build a brand.
Does not seem like a good move on AA part.

Last edited by Beach9bum; Apr 30, 2010 at 1:12 pm
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by Beach9bum
I was just informed by a supervisor at Marriott and also by AA customer service that AA instigated the cancellation.

Reason-not stated by either but I will be looking to fly other airlines now as I will continue to use the 7-night travel package and send the airline points elsewhere. I am both a Lifetime Plat with AA and Lifetime Plat with Marriott.

If memory serves me AA has in the last 4 years also ended the transfer relationship with American Express Membership Miles and also E-rewards. Not a way to build a brand.
Perhaps someone at AA finally did a 6σ project and figured out that they had a huge amount of LT golds and plats that only had 100-200k paid BIS miles. They probably figured out that they were not charging Marriott enough $$ for these miles compared to what they are worth to a program like Skypesos or *net blocked UA. This goes hand and hand with the end of citi churning in the amount of AA miles people are going to be able to rack up. I guess they would rather cut back on the amount of bonus miles given out rather than devalue the program like the others have done.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I could be wrong, but I don't believe it was ever possible to transfer Amex MR points directly to AA - certainly not 4 years ago.

Since I value LT Plat on AA more than Marriott points (I have a timeshare with Marriott), Marriott loses out with me. I will cash out my Marriott points for a TP and move to SPG which I had planned a long time ago but getting AA miles kept me at Marriott.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:24 pm
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boomdog
That settles it - I'm giving up on the whole AA LT plat game. It's too hard without MR travel packages, and with AA dropping to a distant third with the UA/CO merger, I'm not sure if its worth it anyway.
Boo-hoo. This thread is one of the main reasons why AA should reconsider the rules of the LT PLT program.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since you're LT Plat already, presumably miles you can use on AA are almost as good as AA miles, right? Per the parallel thread over in the Marriott forum, you can still earn (or transfer to) BA, and BA miles can be used on many AA flights (and perhaps all AA flights in the near future?). And I understand from discussions elsewhere that you can even use your AA status (for preferred seating, airport benefits, etc) by using BA miles to book the award flight but then changing it to your AA FF number after that (assuming you have no status or at least less status at BA than AA).
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
Originally Posted by BAK
Boo-hoo. This thread is one of the main reasons why AA should reconsider the rules of the LT PLT program.
Thanks for the care and sympathy! Boo-hoo indeed.

As an EXP you can resent the LT PLT lites that have been flooding in, but at least I was benefiting from the fruits of legitimate travel (hotel stays), and not doing any of the Citi card churning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.