Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Help! Booked round trip to Australia with AA leg, but can't use 500 Miles upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Booked round trip to Australia with AA leg, but can't use 500 Miles upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Has anyone had this problem?

I booked a flight on premium econ to Australia, but had to go through qantas because for whatever reason you can't book PE on AA.com---they do my flight all the way through to NY and the NY -LAX legs are on AA, great I thought, I can use my abundance of 500 mile upgrade points to upgrade or get on the wait list, but when I log on I see no reservation. I know they have my FF# and I called AA and they see I'm on the flight. When asked to use my 500m points, they said they couldn't because it was issued by Qantas.

Is this possible? does that mean the only way to use those points is by booking flights through american on the phone or on AA.com?

Is there any way around this? I'd really like to use my points!
Any advice/help would be great.

ps. I'm platinum
Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Are you on an AA or Qantas flight #? If you booked the Qantas #, then you are out of luck, even if it is AA metal.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If booking PE from JFK-Australia, why would you book an AA flight across the USA in economy rather than travel on Qantas in Premium Economy on QF108 or are you travelling on a day it doesn't operate?

If you are booked on AA on a QF flight number, then you cannot use electronic upgrade credits to upgrade. If booked on the AA flight number on an AA flight, you can upgrade using electronic upgrade credits as normal

Dave
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Dave is right, you can only use the 500-milers to upgrade on domestic (with a few exceptions based on how AA defines domestic) flights on AA metal with an AA flight number
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

thanks

thanks everyone. Turns out I learned a valuable lesson.

Never before had anyone told me that even though you are flying an AA plane, if it's ticketed under a partner you can't use your elite status perks.

The annoying thing about this was, I WOULD have booked the flight on AA, but for whatever reason AA cannot ticket Premium economy so when booking it via qantas and they asked if I wanted to just do the whole trip from NY and they said it would be an american airline plane I figured, OK why not, I'll juse my 500 mile upgrades for the domestic US leg, turns out it was issued as a QF flight and thus restricted me from doing it.

I ended up calling qantas and having them reticket it for a small fee which assuming I get to use my at this point too many 500 miles upgrade points, will be worth it. But an all around hassle.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Does anyone think they'll bring back the double elite status miles?
I hope so!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by bamboosensation

I ended up calling qantas and having them reticket it for a small fee which assuming I get to use my at this point too many 500 miles upgrade points, will be worth
What date are you travelling? Is there a QF108 on the day you wish to go; if so, change to that and have the PE service the whole way rather than gambling on the possibility of a business class upgrade on AA
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Redhead
Dave is right, you can only use the 500-milers to upgrade on domestic (with a few exceptions based on how AA defines domestic) flights on AA metal with an AA flight number
There aren't any exceptions. They can be used on all flights within North America and to/from Bermuda and Hawaii.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What date are you travelling? Is there a QF108 on the day you wish to go; if so, change to that and have the PE service the whole way rather than gambling on the possibility of a business class upgrade on AA
They said to me they no longer offer PE service on the Qantas planes between LA/SF ---JFK

which I thought was bizarre since my friend JUST flew that in march, but I spoke to multiple people and there was no PE option on a QF plane between LA and NYC

They said those flights only have Business and Econ now
(no first either)

I was confused
:\
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Can 500-mile upgrades be used when the AA flight is booked as an AA flight number on QF ticket stock? That way you could get PE on the transpac while still being able to use the upgrades.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:06 pm

They said to me they no longer offer PE service on the Qantas planes between LA/SF ---JFK

which I thought was bizarre since my friend JUST flew that in march, but I spoke to multiple people and there was no PE option on a QF plane between LA and NYC

(no first either)

I was confused

That's why I asked when you were travelling. Qantas is removing 1st class from the JFK-LAX service later in the year ; if travelling before the removal then PE all the way would be the way to go

Dave
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Can 500-mile upgrades be used when the AA flight is booked as an AA flight number on QF ticket stock? That way you could get PE on the transpac while still being able to use the upgrades.
Electronic upgrade credits can be used I believe since iirc the tickets are not reissued for an electronic upgrade

Mileage upgrades can be a problem since AA cannot reissue QF tickets if it is a QF fare.

Dave
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Yes. If QF had issued the ticket on QF stock with domestic (USA) AA flight numbers then the OP could have used the 500mile upgrades
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Another question I would have is - is it possible to force AA to book PE on BA/QF/etc by forcing a booking into a specific fare code? For example, I know AA doesn't "see" the specific cabin type (premium economy), but what if you call the EXP desk and ask them to book a ticket on BA, and instead of asking for PE, ask them to book it as a T or E fare (PE on BA)?

Just a thought....
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Another question I would have is - is it possible to force AA to book PE on BA/QF/etc by forcing a booking into a specific fare code? For example, I know AA doesn't "see" the specific cabin type (premium economy), but what if you call the EXP desk and ask them to book a ticket on BA, and instead of asking for PE, ask them to book it as a T or E fare (PE on BA)?

Just a thought....
In theory I'd think that would work, except for me the largest reason I was booking PE was because there was a special sale, which made it immensely more affordable, not to mention the 1.5 qualifying points you get for a ticket of that fare. Essentially perhaps AA could book you on a T or an E ticket, however I don't think they'd have access to the sales that BA and QF often offer on off seasons. Especially considering when I was booking the flight with the agent, she was having trouble finding my sale fare, but eventually did.

(weird I know)

And to readdress the JFK-SYD PE, yeah I think I'm travelling after they've abolished it

Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:43 am

(no first either)

I was confused
I flew QF107 last week from SYD-LAX which continues onto JFK and there was most definitely a premium economy section on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.