Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lots of extra EQP - How does that happen?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Lots of extra EQP - How does that happen?

It's not exactly news that AA's system gives out more EQP than it technically should from time to time. This year, however, it seems to be doing so with much greater frequency. Of the 23,215 EQP that have posted to my account this year, fully 20% (4,708) are "bonus points".

Is anyone else seeing this?

(Too bad I make EXP on segments. )
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:03 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yeah,happens all the time. I have an extra 18K EQP (about 60% extra). EQP are almost equal to EQM, and they shouldn't be close. As you noted, nothing at all new.

Cheers.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
They way I'll re-qualify this year is first segments, then miles, and finally points. I don't even look at my EQP
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
(Too bad I make EXP on segments. )
As you know, AA does read this board, they just don't post here. I don't qualify on points, but I would imagine that those who do wouldn't appreciate the constant posting of threads calling attention to this by those who don't.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Some of us are opposite.

I qualify always on points, so I watch them. Then I look at miles and then, once in every few months at segments.

Right now I have 89,994 points and 21 segments. I think it is quite wise of AA to let us have all three methods because that evens out the revenue equation without making it ultra-explicit. Anyway anybody who makes it on segments is in serious need of EXP! Far more so that those of us who do most of it on long hauls in paid C or F.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Anyway anybody who makes it on segments is in serious need of EXP! Far more so that those of us who do most of it on long hauls in paid C or F.
While I would LOVE to see the segments dropped to 80 to qualify or something, I have to admit I don't blame them. I pay on average $150/wk for my tickets of which like $30 is tax. That is $60/segment which means I qualify with about $6000 in revenue. I feel this revenue is going to be at a much lower margin than a $6000 trans atlantic F or J seat, which by the way won't even qualify the person for EXP. They would have to take several transatlantic F/J flights to get enough points resulting in significantly more revenue and profit for AA then someone like myself.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Anyway anybody who makes it on segments is in serious need of EXP! Far more so that those of us who do most of it on long hauls in paid C or F.
Not so sure. I always figure that those making on segments fly a lot of RJs where EXP has minimal benefit (for the moment). I figure that people making it on segments need a good proctologist more than they need EXP

Cheers.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: A few
Yes I am what I'd think is a typical segment qualifier. Last year did 110 segments mostly on RJ's from RDU to LGA. I've actually done 10 on DL this year where I status matched and got upgraded on 10/10. Now AA are throwing in a 1st class product from August on the route so I will stick with them to see how it pans out. No doubt this is the hard way to qualify. Last year I qualified by EQM and segments but missed out by EQP
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I usually qualify on points first - several long haul to Latin America in paid C - and then miles. I haven't really noticed extra EQPs but don't want to look a gift-horse in the mouth if they are there.

I'm hoping to re-qual by June this year.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: Ex-HHonors Diamond (now nothing), former AA EXP
Well, considering my recent travel habits, I'll make EXP on segments, then points, then miles. Only one segment was on a rj when I left from HOU instead of IAH. My normal weekly trip is IAH-DFW-LAX BUR-DFW-IAH. So I get 4 segments for each rt of roughly 3500 miles. And EXP is a big plus to me because of going in first on the MD-80's....with an occasional 762 trip LAX-DFW.
Old May 1, 2010, 6:54 am

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
Extra EQP's showing on Aadvantage Summary

I've flown only 5 flights this year so far, but have somehow acquired extra EQPs. I am AA Platinum. It looks like I am getting 1.5 EQPs for Q class tickets upgraded with miles to C and A. I read in the Wiki and on AA that the EQPs were based on the purchased class not the flown class. Anyone else getting the .5 extra for discount fares upgraded to First or Bus?

Last edited by ttervooren; May 1, 2010 at 6:59 am Reason: Edited to delete a table showing the math because it does not show up correctly in the thread. Won't try that again.
Old May 1, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Prepare to be flamed about pointing out an AA error in your AAdvantage
Old May 1, 2010, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ttervooren
I've flown only 5 flights this year so far, but have somehow acquired extra EQPs. I am AA Platinum. It looks like I am getting 1.5 EQPs for Q class tickets upgraded with miles to C and A. I read in the Wiki and on AA that the EQPs were based on the purchased class not the flown class. Anyone else getting the .5 extra for discount fares upgraded to First or Bus?
Add'l EQP isn't unusual.
Old May 1, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
It has happened to me frequently to. Especially when I change flights and I was upgraded prior, lots of times the agent just puts me into full fare J/F. I love it when it happens!
Old May 1, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ttervooren
I've flown only 5 flights this year so far, but have somehow acquired extra EQPs.
Others have reported and discussed this recently. Search term: "eqp"

Lots of extra EQP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.