Wiki Posts
Search

Question re mileage earned on AA RTW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Question re mileage earned on AA RTW

Hi guys,

Long-time lurker and browser but can't find the answer to a critical question that I'm sure is a piece of cake to all of you. I'm looking at maximizing my RDMs on an AA-issued LONE4 - hopefully after a successful Plat Challenge.

Can someone please tell me whether the RDM earned on partner airlines is at 100% (since it's an AA ticket accruing to an AAdvantage account) or the reduced amounts shown under the partner airlines' points-earning charts at AAdvantage ie, 25% on BA, 35% on IB and most of the rest at 50% for an L fare????

Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:24 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by walemard
Hi guys,

Long-time lurker and browser but can't find the answer to a critical question that I'm sure is a piece of cake to all of you. I'm looking at maximizing my RDMs on an AA-issued LONE4 - hopefully after a successful Plat Challenge.

Can someone please tell me whether the RDM earned on partner airlines is at 100% (since it's an AA ticket accruing to an AAdvantage account) or the reduced amounts shown under the partner airlines' points-earning charts at AAdvantage ie, 25% on BA, 35% on IB and most of the rest at 50% for an L fare????

Thanks.
Welcome to FT!

The identity of the seller of the ticket has nothing to do with it. Only the fare class and carrier matters, with redeemable mileage yields per the charts on AA.com. You'll get 100% for L on AA, LA, MX, MA and AY, 25% on BA, 50% on RJ and QF, 30% on IB, 70% on JL, squat on CX, etc.

Bonus miles (Plat) only apply on some carriers.

Hint - when booking an LONEx, look for AA codeshares on BA, JL, QF, IB and especially CX flights.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CX Silver, SPG
Hi guys,

Thanks.
You got all you want here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...lines/main.jsp
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification - that's what I feared, but just wondered if a more liberal interpretation might pan out. No such luck, eh? But thanks for confirming what I hadn't actually asked about - that using the same flight on the more generous codeshare carrier is an option. Many thanks for the quick response.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exactly! Book AA codeshares, or full miles-granting partners on those who do not, such as CX, IB, BA etc.. when at all possible. What Gardyloo said.

<snip>But thanks for confirming what I hadn't actually asked about - that using the same flight on the more generous codeshare carrier is an option. <snip>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.