Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with your AA Amenity Kits/Washbags?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:56 am
Original Poster

What do you do with your AA Amenity Kits/Washbags?

I for one always take them home with me and have a collection which I make available to any guests who stay at home although the Mrs. always likes to raid them for the Burt's Bees lip balm and body lotion.

One thing that has always surprised me if that often when you walk through the J cabin for example, whilst getting off the aircraft some people have not even touched their kits at all.

Also, how come they keep changing them because we went from those fold up ones to the red ones and now to the navy blue ones.

All in all though, I think that AA has got them right.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yes, the colors are changing, as noted in the original press release. The idea is to "freshen" up the kits once in a while by changing the color of the nylon cases.

I always save mine (and, if my seatmate doesn't use his/hers, I ask to take it as well). I never use the kits on board, but instead have a stockpile at home. Currently I have over 3 dozen kits, unopened and in their original plastic wrappers. I will add to the collection this weekend on my MR to FRA!

(I occasionally give them as gifts to overnight guests, or when kids come over. They love the kits!)
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Kids running around with the 'eye masks' on around the house sounds like a recipe for a disaster ......................CRASH!!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Do passengers in coach on international flights get any type of kit? I'm flying tomorrow and want to know if I should pack my own toothpaste, brush, etc. Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:30 am
Original Poster

I'm afraid not but you can buy an eyeshade, toothbrush etc in a little bag for a few bucks off the duty free cart.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call it a "collectible item" and try to concince some poor sap to pay $25.99 OBO (plus $8 shipping/handling) for it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-AIRLINE...item1c11367f28
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Call it a "collectible item" and try to concince some poor sap to pay $25.99 OBO (plus $8 shipping/handling) for it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-AIRLINE...item1c11367f28
$8 for postage!! What?!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I hold on to them (and the ones from other airlines) for subsequent donation to the needy (I sent several bagsful down to Katrina victims, and the next batch are intended for a homeless shelter).
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:41 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The socks can actually be used as "regular" socks, they last through many washings. The toothpaste also lasts for a very long time, especially if you use an electric=battery toothbrush. Lip balm lasts for years. The new "hard" cases look pretty, but don't well fit in the side compartments of small carry-on bags.
The rest of the stuff is no use to me and I throw it away.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I like to wear the socks to bed on really cold nights. The lip balm is good, the lotion gets given away (too perfumed for me). The case itself is useful for isolating electrical cords, chargers, etc. -- easy to label with permanent marker. And adding a couple of extra amenities (eye drops, plug adaptor, small amount of local currency) made for a very nice gift for a college student's first trip to Europe.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I leave the case on the plane.

I use the toothbrush before landing and dispose of it in the lavatory.
I use the socks on the flight and leave them on the plane.
I keep the Burt's Bees products.

Everything else stays in the case.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:11 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
My kids have used these bags for their soccer cleats on tournament trips. Typically they use on for the toothbrush and stuff and two or three others for the cleats. They change at the fields and put the shoes they take off in them and the cleats on. Works great for that.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by UKAAFAN

All in all though, I think that AA has got them right.
They are fine - but a far cry from the kits given in CX / JL / BA in F.

I find that the zipper gets caught very easily on the latest model.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I give most of them to my mom. Hmmmm, I’ve probably given her 40+ kits the past couple of years. The real question is, what is she doing with all of them……
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:18 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
I give most of them to my mom. Hmmmm, I’ve probably given her 40+ kits the past couple of years. The real question is, what is she doing with all of them……
Does she have an ebay account?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.