Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite status traveling with pets - any exemptions?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA PLT
Elite status traveling with pets - any exemptions?

From the AA website:
Checked Pets - $150
cabin pets - $100

Anyone out there with elite status have experience with traveling with pets? Does AA waive their fees for elite travelers?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Cityhawk
From the AA website:
Checked Pets - $150
cabin pets - $100

Anyone out there with elite status have experience with traveling with pets? Does AA waive their fees for elite travelers?
Have done it over 10 times as EXP, and paid every time. (Cabin)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
From the AA website:
Checked Pets - $150
cabin pets - $100

Nope, when my 4 footed buddy travels w/me [only in cabin], I've always had to pay the fee. All of the pet fees are explained on aa.com and there is no mention of an elite fee waiver, nor would I really expect one as pet travel fees were in place well before the checked baggage fees.

My only complaint about the fee: sometimes the pet fee is the same price or actually more expensive than to simply buy him his own seat and, although in those cases I've tried to simply buy the seat, I've been unable to do so.

Last edited by bdemaria; Apr 13, 2010 at 7:07 am
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Seems like aa.com would show any exemptions on the page where the fees are listed, eh?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
While totally understanding that pet fees are not waived for elites, if that was an Executive Platinum only benefit I'd MR all I needed to get EXP just for that.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by austin_modern
Heaven forbid someone asks a question about a benefit that might not be written down.
When it comes to fee waivers, those benefits are pretty well documented, IME.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:44 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by austin_modern
IME, Ive had many many things waived that were undocumented. Overweight bags, change fees, priority tagging for gold, etc
Well, sure, that has definitely happened. If we use that criterion, then the answer to every question is "yes," since it has happened to someone. In that case, there's also no point in asking since the answer to "has it ever happened" is already known. I have a feeling that the OP was asking if this was an elite perk, rather than if anyone, at any time has gotten an exception (like the examples you gave). If that is the case, then these things are well-documented, as noted, and easy to find. If it's the "has it ever happened" the answer, as always, is "yes."

Cheers.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:53 am

<deleted post>

I didn't see anyone in this thread suggesting a Google search. Did I miss something, perhaps?

Seems as if the question of whether waived pet fees are an elite benefit was answered. And the answer is "no."

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 14, 2010 at 9:43 am Reason: redacted deleted post
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Well, sure, that has definitely happened. If we use that criterion, then the answer to every question is "yes," since it has happened to someone. In that case, there's also no point in asking since the answer to "has it ever happened" is already known. I have a feeling that the OP was asking if this was an elite perk, rather than if anyone, at any time has gotten an exception (like the examples you gave). If that is the case, then these things are well-documented, as noted, and easy to find. If it's the "has it ever happened" the answer, as always, is "yes."

Cheers.
One time, at band camp.............
Agreed.... The fee applies to EXPs. If it isn't documented as a benefit, you might get it waived, but don't bet on it. It's a fee that would only benefit a small percentage, if waived, and I would bet it is even more likely the person traveling with the pet is on an "excursion" fare. That is, people traveling with pets are as likely to be on a business trip and paying higher fares.
There seems little point in AA giving up a fee that would only affect a small percentage of tickets purchased by EXPs.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Back on topic (kind of), remember that if traveling with a pet, you cannot travel in an exit row, even though you can select it as an elite. And be careful of upgrade requests, a late clearing upgrade may leave you in a F bulkhead seat (also no-go with a pet).
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:37 pm

From the AA website:
Checked Pets - $150
cabin pets - $100

Only if the pet has EXP.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DZONELB
I'm with you on this, if people where to simply answer the questions asked things would move along much better. I'm fairly new to the site and already wished there was a BLOCK button so I could block a few people I find "stupid".

Some people on here "NEED" a life. My understanding of this board was to find helpful information and am sadly disappointed that there are a good number of individuals who just feed on criticizing behind the safety of the net.

Sorry I went off topic here.
Such a button definitely exists here, and has been discussed many times. I'm sure that with a little research you can find it and how to use it.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
What I don’t understand is why pets are not allowed in the cabin for international travel (e.g. TATL). Air France allows pets in the cabin so it is not a question of the destination per se. Does anyone know why AA makes this distinction? When I moved from NY to Paris with my pet I ended up flying AF just because I could fly with my pet in the cabin. Just curious…
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
I find it curious that, even though I have traveled with a pet more than a dozen times, not once has anyone ever asked to see a receipt for a paid pet fee. Someone with far less honor than me could probably just roll the dice and claim ignorance if caught, then pay the fee.

Further, I can only think of one time where I was moved from exit row due to the cat.

Seems to me that enforcement is not a big priority to AA.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by planecrashlaw
I find it curious that, even though I have traveled with a pet more than a dozen times, not once has anyone ever asked to see a receipt for a paid pet fee. Someone with far less honor than me could probably just roll the dice and claim ignorance if caught, then pay the fee.

Further, I can only think of one time where I was moved from exit row due to the cat.

Seems to me that enforcement is not a big priority to AA.
Strange - when I've traveled w/my cat, the GA has always asked to see the receipt before letting me board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.