Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you decide if you should use miles or just pay for it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
My main use of miles is to fly to India. Tix are approx 1,200 or more if in holiday season. Since it costs a minimum 80K to get an award, I generally value my miles at 1.5 cpm. If I can fly at less than that price by paying, i will otherwise just redeem.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
My main use of miles is to fly to India. Tix are approx 1,200 or more if in holiday season. Since it costs a minimum 80K to get an award, I generally value my miles at 1.5 cpm. If I can fly at less than that price by paying, i will otherwise just redeem.
What about the 15,000 miles you would earn on a paid ticket? That means you really are losing 95,000 miles for 1200. Now you are at only 1.25 cpm. IMO, It is way easier to find a $1200 ticket to India during peak periods then it is to find an available award seat.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA, MR, HH
Is there a formula for redeeming miles?

Do you guys use some formula for deciding whether or not to use points or cash for a redemption?

I just signed up for an AA credit card. I already had 43K points and with the 50K bonus for getting the citicard I'll have 93K points. I want to maximize my redemptions so how do you decide when to redeem?

I'm shooting for Australia with a Hawaii stopver in 2012 from Miami.

Any strategies?

TIA.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
by points, do you mean miles (i.e. redeemable miles or RDMs)?

I usually look at the chart on aa.com that explains how many miles it costs to redeem to any destination or use their handy search feature where you can say where you want to go and it shows you how many miles.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:19 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
  1. If you know your dates, book 330 days in advance - always worked for me, but I have never tried it going to Australia.
  2. Be flexible with your routes - check possible routes before you call.
  3. Have alternatives dates - Something like 2-3 days around your "perfect dates"
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've taken the liberty of changing the thread title slightly - EQ points (sensu stricto) can not be redeemed, miles can. But look for threads discussing value and you will find most of us would spend miles if the cost exceeded ~3 cents per mile. Some of us hoard and spend on J or F cabin travel to maximize what we do with our hard-won miles.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I've taken the liberty of changing the thread title slightly - EQ points (sensu stricto) can not be redeemed, miles can. But look for threads discussing value and you will find most of us would spend miles if the cost exceeded ~3 cents per mile. Some of us hoard and spend on J or F cabin travel to maximize what we do with our hard-won miles.
How about this one?
Value of AAdvantage miles - How much is 1 mile worth to you? (consolidated)
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I hoard my miles to use them on luxury travel that I otherwise can't afford or would never spend such excessive amounts on, like an F class ticket on Cathay to Hong Kong.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
There are several factors at play here. First, most of us want to maintain some sort of AA status. As a result, we will prefer to pay in many cases as award tickets don't earn miles. After that, it's a question of looking for flights that just cost too much for the miles returned. Some examples for us:

We were going to KEF (Iceland) out of Halifax,NS. Going SFO-JFK was reasonable priced, but getting to Halifax was outrageous. So, we bought tickets to JFK and awards to Halifax.

Several years back we flew to SIN and HKG in AA/JL and CX F. Definitely miles

Cheers.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
First, the top end. You can buy miles for about 2 cents per mile, so subtract the taxes from the cost of the ticket, and divide by the miles you would have earned plus the miles required for the award ticket. If the answer is more than 2 cents per mile, you ought to be thinking about using miles.

Personally, my bottom end is one cent per mile. I will fly almost anywhere if I can do so for one cent for every mile I receive. Harder to do than it used to be.

In between the two is a judgement call.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by chriskre
Temper your dream with a healthy dose of flexibility.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL Gold, ANA Plat
Hoard

I'm with JDiver. We save and use for FC to Asia.
Seems more effective to me.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
I'll use my wife's miles for the kids to fly domestic coach at around 1.6 to 2 cents per mile. That's because she doesn't earn enough miles to get us overseas in business. I save mine for the two of us to fly international business class, usually works out to around 5 cents per mile. Personally I don't think that F is worth the extra miles at all, but that's a matter of preference (I might do F for our celebratory retirement trip to Australia).

My wife has no status to maintain, however if this was a problem then I'd be slightly more willing to buy a ticket and so would like a (slightly) higher value before using miles domestically.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by chriskre
Do you guys use some formula for deciding whether or not to use points or cash for a redemption?

I just signed up for an AA credit card. I already had 43K points and with the 50K bonus for getting the citicard I'll have 93K points. I want to maximize my redemptions so how do you decide when to redeem?

Any strategies?

TIA.
I use miles for International premium travel and for SYD unfortunately most of the F/J awards go to QF FFs so its a long ride back in Y. AA is 75K miles to Australia Transpacific. This means that AA will transport you to LAX or SFO and QF from there. Not sure how a stopover at Hawaii will impact it.

My suggestion is to call AA 330 days out and be flexible with dates. Since all partner award must be booked by phone (and if you aren't EXP you will also need to pay the telephone fee in addition to taxes) call soon as possible. Jetstar goes to Hawaii IIRC but Jetstar is not part of Oneworld/Award Travel.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA, MR, HH
Originally Posted by virmaior
by points, do you mean miles (i.e. redeemable miles or RDMs)?

I usually look at the chart on aa.com that explains how many miles it costs to redeem to any destination or use their handy search feature where you can say where you want to go and it shows you how many miles.
Sorry, I'm not totally up on my flytalk lingo yet. Still a newbie here.

Yes I was thinking redeeming miles, but for me they give you points.
It's so confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.