Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you decide if you should use miles or just pay for it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:58 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vxmike

Sometimes once the miles accumulate you just have to start redeeming due to the inflation factor. I now get almost 500K AA miles a year between my flights and BankDirect, and the math doesn't favor redemptions enough to completely use this balance each year in the most optimal fashion.
I am running into this. At some point, if you always favor flying paid tickets for status, you will end up with a huge pile of miles that you never get to use!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I simply reserve spending my miles on long-haul premium cabin flights for vacation, and nothing more.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:14 am

SFO-HEL paid or award tickets

I have a bit of a problem. Me and my girlfriend are traveling to sfo in late October. We are hopefully using our rtw tickets to fly hel-jfk-sfo. Coming back seems to be a bit of problem price wise.

I have seen return tickets from Finland to the west coast around 1800€ in J. But when I look the other way around they are 1500€ oneway and double return (I know life sucks and the prices are what they are ). We are returning to the states in April so I will need to take that in to consideration when getting the tickets as it seems now that it would be wiser to just buy two return tickets to the west coast and leave the rtw tickets to the spring.

As I haven´t been looking the prices from the States to Europe so much I was wondering if the 1500€ is good value for oneway SFO-JFK-HEL or could I expect lower prices before October? One option would also be to get one ticket with points and buy the other but it seems I can´t really see anywhere if Finnair got availability in J on the JFK-HEL part. So have any of you got any experience on that route with points?

Thanks for the help
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you might consider 1 way aa awards sfo-lhr or other aa europe destination....good luck...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by pelehton
I have a bit of a problem. Me and my girlfriend are traveling to sfo in late October. We are hopefully using our rtw tickets to fly hel-jfk-sfo. Coming back seems to be a bit of problem price wise.

I have seen return tickets from Finland to the west coast around 1800€ in J. But when I look the other way around they are 1500€ oneway and double return (I know life sucks and the prices are what they are ). We are returning to the states in April so I will need to take that in to consideration when getting the tickets as it seems now that it would be wiser to just buy two return tickets to the west coast and leave the rtw tickets to the spring.

As I haven´t been looking the prices from the States to Europe so much I was wondering if the 1500€ is good value for oneway SFO-JFK-HEL or could I expect lower prices before October? One option would also be to get one ticket with points and buy the other but it seems I can´t really see anywhere if Finnair got availability in J on the JFK-HEL part. So have any of you got any experience on that route with points?

Thanks for the help
I don't quite understand your situation. You are traveling HEL-SFO in October, and then returning to the states in April. I assume, not to the states of Finland you want to return in April. So, please clarify your route.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tries
I don't quite understand your situation. You are traveling HEL-SFO in October, and then returning to the states in April. I assume, not to the states of Finland you want to return in April. So, please clarify your route.
As I understand it, since it is something I do, is the OP is on an RTW, wants to go to SFO, return home, than go back to SFO to continue the RTW.

For the OP -- International fares commonly have different prices depending on which country you start in, hence the 1500 vs 1800. No one really knows whether prices will go down or not. There was a recent thread where a blogger had stated they would but the crystal ball didn't agree.

Only you know whether or not the price is OK or the miles. The bigger question will always be -- is there award availability that is agreeable to you.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:42 pm

Yep that´s the idea. Go to States in the Autumn and then go back home and return on April to continue the rtw to hnl-asia-home.

My basic question (sorry for the long story) is if the 1500 is "normal" price for a oneway SFO/LAX-HEL? It seems that return is roughly 2 times oneway US-Europe (3000). The same trip starting from Europe would be 1500 return and 3000 oneway roughly. Of course I would be more than happy with a 1500 return from the states as I need to come back in the spring

It seems DFW-FRA got some reward seats at the moment but I´m hopping to save one leg of the rtw ticket so west coast would be better. Also does anybody have any experience about the jfk-hel leg (the flight is also an AA codeshare) as I can´t seem to find the availability anywhere?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I look at what my current financial situation is like. Both this year and last year I've wanted to take last minute domestic trips for reasons I couldn't justify spending ~$500 on. However, as I had the miles and wanted to make the trips, I booked awards.

I would imagine everyone has their own formula, but usually I don't look at using miles unless the ticket is over $400 and it wouldn't earn me significant miles if it was a revenue ticket.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Plat
I tend to use my miles only for last minute high priced flights......
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The calculations change for me now that EXP's have free redeposit of awards plus 1-way awards.

Case in point - I had a trip to LAX planned where outbound leg was ~$270 while return leg was ~$160. Thanks to the new pricing structure in some city-pairs (like BOS-LAX) where the price is the same regardless if you book 1-way or round-trip, I decided to use a 12.5k mile award outbound and pay for the return ticket.

With free redeposit, I've been keeping an eye on fares (which I wouldn't have before since fees were so high) and saw that the outbound leg was now down to ~$140. Immediately canceled my award-itin, booked the paid-itin, and called EXP desk to redeposit.

Excellent deal all around for me, and will encourage me to use mileage tickets more extensively in the future because it's easier to hold my options open.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Heading to SDQ for Christmas. I'm based in JFK and the christmas fares are already looking horrible. I'm already seeing V fare buckets on the JFK-SDQ segment. Business is completely wide open yet no Business MilesAAver inventory despite only 4 of the 26 J seats on the 763 being taken. Should I pay the fare or potentially 60K each way for Business to SDQ unless milesAAver opens up where it would be 30K.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Plato90s
The calculations change for me now that EXP's have free redeposit of awards plus 1-way awards.

Case in point - I had a trip to LAX planned where outbound leg was ~$270 while return leg was ~$160. Thanks to the new pricing structure in some city-pairs (like BOS-LAX) where the price is the same regardless if you book 1-way or round-trip, I decided to use a 12.5k mile award outbound and pay for the return ticket.

With free redeposit, I've been keeping an eye on fares (which I wouldn't have before since fees were so high) and saw that the outbound leg was now down to ~$140. Immediately canceled my award-itin, booked the paid-itin, and called EXP desk to redeposit.

Excellent deal all around for me, and will encourage me to use mileage tickets more extensively in the future because it's easier to hold my options open.
Good, practical EXPerience ^
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Heading to SDQ for Christmas. I'm based in JFK and the christmas fares are already looking horrible. I'm already seeing V fare buckets on the JFK-SDQ segment. Business is completely wide open yet no Business MilesAAver inventory despite only 4 of the 26 J seats on the 763 being taken. Should I pay the fare or potentially 60K each way for Business to SDQ unless milesAAver opens up where it would be 30K.
anyone?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 5.07MM; Marriott Lifetime Pt; Hyatt Diam; Avis
How does JFK-SJU look?

take the Mona Passage Puddle Jumper...
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Ceteris Paribus
take the Mona Passage Puddle Jumper...
No Yollas for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.