Wiki Posts
Search

New Bose QC15 headsets on AA flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
New Bose QC15 headsets on AA flights

I just returned from BKK, via NRT to JFK on AA168. Bose QC15 headsets have replaced the QC3 headsets. The FA said that the QC15s began being introduced on April 1st. I have my own pair of QC3s and my brief non-tech review is that the performance of the QC15 is remarkably better than the QC3. The QC15s cup around the entire ear which I am sure helps a lot, even without considering any of the other acoustic enhancements. At the same time they are not that much larger and feel just as light as the QC3s. Not ready to shelve my QCs just yet, but I’d be interested to hear what other folks think about them.

Safe Travels

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For the new AA page on the Bose QC15 headphones, see:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/bose.jsp

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Apr 7, 2010 at 3:42 pm
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yes!!! I just had the QC15 headsets on my DFW-MAD-DFW run. They were fantastic, much better than the QC3! Superior noise reduction and extremely comfortable. I'm delighted that AA is offering them! (and I'm about to purchase my own pair to replace my aging QC2s)

(I really found the QC3 uncomfortable on my ears, so much in fact that I did not accept them and just used my own personal QC2 headset.)
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:36 pm

I got my brother the QC3s as a gift when they debuted and picked up the QC15s last fall. I agree that the noise cancelling is better and are quite comfortable. Although I have noticed one issue that could be personal preference. The QC15s seal so well around my ears that I sometimes need to lift each cup briefly to equalize the pressure during the climb to cruising altitude. One other thing I like about the QC15s is they use a standard AAA battery as opposed to the propriatary battery on the QC3s. Hit up the tech forum. Lots of great info on Bose and other NC headphones there.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:26 pm

i had the QC15s on my most recent flight. these represent an upgrade from the old QC3s. the upgrade is the equivalent of going from purina to alpo.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This is definetly good news. I tried the excellent QC15s last year when the AAdvantage mile promotion was out and had to convince myself that until my QC2s broke, I couldn't buy any new ones.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I'm glad they are replacing them as some of the QC3s were starting to fall apart.

Have had QC3s for several years now and before them QC2s (my brother has those now). I love all my Bose products-in my car, Wave system, and QC. I'm glad AA is working with Bose-a local MA company to provide the headsets. It would be nice if they offered more promotions with Bose. In circa-2002 there was promotion to receive a complimentary pair of QC (Quiet Comfort I) with purchase of a paid J to LHR/LGW, certain booking codes IIRC.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ethang801
i had the QC15s on my most recent flight. these represent an upgrade from the old QC3s. the upgrade is the equivalent of going from purina to alpo.
Hmmm... it might be helpful to provide an alternate analogy for those of us who are not dogs. I'm afraid I've tasted neither Purina nor Alpo. I think you're probably saying the difference is a good one, but I have no idea if you are saying it's an awesome upgrade, a just slightly better upgrade, or that you perceive little to no improvement.

Good analogies work because folks relate to them. I'm afraid this one didn't work for me, but YMMV

Regards
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
My biggest complaint about the QC2s which the QC15s are modeled after is that my ears get really hot, then soon the symptom spreads and I just can't wear them anymore -- This is why I own the QC3s. It sounds crazy, but I've heard it from many different people.

Anyone have thoughts on how the QC15s heat up?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I tried the QC15 at an Apple store, and the noise canceling is amazing. The headphones fit me well. I'm considering getting these for my next long haul flight, but I need to convince myself the $300 price tag is worth it.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by austin_res
I tried the QC15 at an Apple store, and the noise canceling is amazing. The headphones fit me well. I'm considering getting these for my next long haul flight, but I need to convince myself the $300 price tag is worth it.
My opinion of most Bose products is that they are overpriced for what you get. Usually a similar product offers better value. The QC15s do cost more than competing products but not much more and they also perform better. This is the first Bose product I have purchased and I am glad I did. A while ago there was an offer for something like 1,500(?) AAdvantage miles if you purchased them directly from Bose. Not sure if the promo is still running.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:25 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I flew on April 1st and was told it was the first day with the new headsets. They were great! I used to have QC2s and the QC15 are a definite improvement! The QC2 would leave a slightly bothering low intensity hum that would not let me wear them for an entire flight. That hum is gone in the QC15 and I could keep the headset on as long as I wanted.
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
My biggest complaint about the QC2s which the QC15s are modeled after is that my ears get really hot, then soon the symptom spreads and I just can't wear them anymore -- This is why I own the QC3s. It sounds crazy, but I've heard it from many different people.

Anyone have thoughts on how the QC15s heat up?
This is another area where I felt a definite improvement: I also had the issue of the heat but I did not feel any discomfort from the QC15s. So unless the cabin temperature was really unusually low, I think they have also dramatically improved that aspect.

Great move on AA's and Bose's part!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yep. I was pleasantly shocked yesterday/today on my flight from JFK to NRT. I like the QC15s a lot more than the QC3s.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yep. I was pleasantly shocked yesterday/today on my flight from JFK to NRT. I like the QC15s a lot more than the QC3s.
I've been UNpleasantly shocked -- literally -- by some of the old QC3s, so it's excellent news that they're being upgraded.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

I've been UNpleasantly shocked -- literally -- by some of the old QC3s, so it's excellent news that they're being upgraded.
When they were handing them out ithougjt that they were QC2s . It wasn't until I saw the label that I realized it. They were very comfortable on a long flight and had great noise isolation compared to the QC3s.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Hmmm... it might be helpful to provide an alternate analogy for those of us who are not dogs. I'm afraid I've tasted neither Purina nor Alpo. I think you're probably saying the difference is a good one, but I have no idea if you are saying it's an awesome upgrade, a just slightly better upgrade, or that you perceive little to no improvement.

Good analogies work because folks relate to them. I'm afraid this one didn't work for me, but YMMV

Regards

Alpo on a toast point with a nice Sauvignon Blanc makes a great amuse bouche. Purina is a bit too gamey for me. Great improvement AA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.