Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Bose QC15 headsets on AA flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
I wonder what will happen to all the old ones.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Hmmm... it might be helpful to provide an alternate analogy for those of us who are not dogs. I'm afraid I've tasted neither Purina nor Alpo. I think you're probably saying the difference is a good one, but I have no idea if you are saying it's an awesome upgrade, a just slightly better upgrade, or that you perceive little to no improvement.

Good analogies work because folks relate to them. I'm afraid this one didn't work for me, but YMMV

Regards

im saying that they are both terrible. dog food may be good for dogs but not for us. perhaps i should have said it is like eating purina and alpo.
i understand the marketing reasons for AA using Bose but they are a hugely inferior product.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Flights?

I'll be flying MIA-JFK-LHR on 777 next week and MIA-JFK-FCO on 763 and was wondering if I'll be able to try out the new QC15. I bought QC2s after a flight from MIA-SFO and would love to try out the new ones. Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ethang801
im saying that they are both terrible. dog food may be good for dogs but not for us. perhaps i should have said it is like eating purina and alpo.
i understand the marketing reasons for AA using Bose but they are a hugely inferior product.
Or maybe you should have skipped the attempt at analogies and just said, "I think they are both poor/inferior products."

Regards
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cyncyn129
I'll be flying MIA-JFK-LHR on 777 next week and MIA-JFK-FCO on 763 and was wondering if I'll be able to try out the new QC15. I bought QC2s after a flight from MIA-SFO and would love to try out the new ones. Thanks!
JFK-LHR and JFK-FCO, yes (provided you are in F or J). MIA-JFK is not a designated PED flight, but on the 777 you will have full access to the integrated IFE.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Or maybe you should have skipped the attempt at analogies and just said, "I think they are both poor/inferior products."

Regards
yes, i probably should have. i will be sure not to use any analogies in the future on FT.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
I just returned from BKK, via NRT to JFK on AA168. Bose QC15 headsets have replaced the QC3 headsets. The FA said that the QC15s began being introduced on April 1st. I have my own pair of QC3s and my brief non-tech review is that the performance of the QC15 is remarkably better than the QC3. The QC15s cup around the entire ear which I am sure helps a lot, even without considering any of the other acoustic enhancements. At the same time they are not that much larger and feel just as light as the QC3s. Not ready to shelve my QCs just yet, but I’d be interested to hear what other folks think about them.

Safe Travels
Last December there was an Aadvantage eShopping promo with Bose where you got 1500 bonus RDMs for trying out QC15s (or keeping them). As a long time QC3 user who wears them everyday while commuting on the BART subway from the East Bay to downtown San Francisco, I was curious about the QC15's relative performance.
Pro:
The noise canceling is much superior to the QC3, primarily I think because the QC15s cover your entire ear, whereas the QC3s sit on the outside of your ear. The QC15s blocked virtually all of the outrageously loud screeching and rumbling of the BART train cars in the various tunnels and turns, and therefore also improved the perceived fidelity and sound quality.
Con:
I ended up returning the QC15s (keeping the 1500 RDMs... thank you Bose) as they made my ears overheat after wearing them for >15mins. And this test was in the middle of a cold snap in No. Calif with freezing temps every morning. I realized that wearing the QC15s in warmer weather would really make me a "hot head" So no dice, Bose.
Conclusion:
If you are a high metabolism person like me, the better noise performance may come with an unacceptable side effect.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MR Gold, HH Silver
I've tried the various Bose nosie canceling headphones at stores and although find them to be very effective, I could not discern their performance differences from Audio-Technica NC-7, Philips SHN9500 or Brookstones. I ended up buying the Philips for 1/4 the price of a Bose QC3. I do have to admit the styling of the Bose headphones were much more attractive then the others.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Cool.

I am flying FRA-DFW on Thursday, can't wait to try them.
Never liked the old ones, always use my Sony NCs instead.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
JFK-LHR and JFK-FCO, yes (provided you are in F or J). MIA-JFK is not a designated PED flight, but on the 777 you will have full access to the integrated IFE.
Thanks for the quick relpy. Fingers crossed my SWU clears!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:45 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes!!! I just had the QC15 headsets on my DFW-MAD-DFW run. They were fantastic, much better than the QC3! Superior noise reduction and extremely comfortable. I'm delighted that AA is offering them! (and I'm about to purchase my own pair to replace my aging QC2s)

(I really found the QC3 uncomfortable on my ears, so much in fact that I did not accept them and just used my own personal QC2 headset.)
Agree 100%. Had them on Easter Sunday flying to London. A welcome addition.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, BAEC GGL, CCR, Marriott AMB
...Any reports of the AC's or FL's fitting the new QC15's? e.g. FL in LAX.

I've only seen the QC15's on the 'demo' counter at DFW D - which was last year. It's gone through Feb 2010.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:59 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ethang801
The comment I've generally heard about Bose is that they're not worth the price premium that the name commands. But "hugely inferior?" Not so much. In this context, what would you say are the "vastly superior" products? And the spec comparisons? I still agree that Bose are overpriced for performance, but I don't think that that technology is demonstrably inferior.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Just tried the QC15s on my JFK-SFO and SFO-BOS flights last weekend and was quite satisfied. I much prefered the over-ear design of the QC2s than the QC3s - and it appears the QC15s will make a great replacement for my QC2s.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes!!! I just had the QC15 headsets on my DFW-MAD-DFW run. They were fantastic, much better than the QC3! Superior noise reduction and extremely comfortable. I'm delighted that AA is offering them! (and I'm about to purchase my own pair to replace my aging QC2s)

(I really found the QC3 uncomfortable on my ears, so much in fact that I did not accept them and just used my own personal QC2 headset.)
FYI, Bose has a program where you can trade in your QC2s for a pair of QC15s. I was able to trade in my QC2 for the 15 for free! Take a look here for some more info about the trade

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rt-2-a-18.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.