Search

Need to go NYC-RUH: Thoughts on best Oneworld options

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP
Need to go NYC-RUH: Thoughts on best Oneworld options

Hello:

I need to go from NYC to Saudi Arabia for work. BA seems to have severly limited its flights into the KSA and I am trying to figure out a way to earn AA miles on my flights back and forth - it is in J, so I dont want to lose out

Any creative thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

AA/BA via LHR; RJ via AMM.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by NYCFLYGUY
Hello:

I need to go from NYC to Saudi Arabia for work. BA seems to have severly limited its flights into the KSA and I am trying to figure out a way to earn AA miles on my flights back and forth - it is in J, so I dont want to lose out

Any creative thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

You could try JFK-HKG-RUH on CX Some days of the week you can fly JFK-AMM-RUH on RJ. The return requires an overnight in AMM which might be a deal breaker.

You might consider JFK-AMM-RUH-AUH-JFK with JFK-AMM-RUH on RJ, RUH-AUH on EY and AUH-JFK on EY but codeshare as AA6006. So you'd only miss miles on RUH-AUH. JFK-CDG/LHR-AUH-RUH on AA/EY combo would also net you miles except for AUH-RUH.

JFK-CDG/LHR-BAH-RUH on AA/Gulf combo would net you miles.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP
Thanks for the tips. AA/BA thru LHR would have been my default, but BA does not fly everyday to RUH. (Looks like BMI is pulling the slack). If I had more time, I would do the CX route - good mileage earner in J! I have heard lackluster things about Gulf and RJ - would love to make an EY codeshare work.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Thanks for the tips. AA/BA thru LHR would have been my default, but BA does not fly everyday to RUH. (Looks like BMI is pulling the slack). If I had more time, I would do the CX route - good mileage earner in J! I have heard lackluster things about Gulf and RJ - would love to make an EY codeshare work.
HKG-RUH is the regional CX product (or was 2 years ago), which is sort of like domestic F (non-Flagship) in AA. Not very impressive for such a long flight, to be avoided.

I have used RJ both translatlantic and regionally (in business) and they are fine (but avoid the Jordanian wine). Regional business class on RJ certainly beats CLub Europe on BA; 2-2 seating, good food, and they have excellent in-flight entertainment options. The transatlantic seats are lie-flat, though not so much privacy. Amman is a great airport for transit, and the new lounge is very nice. They pay for an overnight hotel near the airport, and even if you want to stay at a hotel downtown you don't have to pay for a visa, you get a free transit visa.

So I would recommend RJ (though I have never been on EY or GF so can't compare).

VF

Last edited by VillageFlyer; Apr 3, 2010 at 11:05 pm Reason: details added
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Thanks for the tips. AA/BA thru LHR would have been my default, but BA does not fly everyday to RUH.
BA flies 5 times a week to RUH using a 777 with the NGCW. Excellent product.

I made the same trip to RUH on BA 2 weeks ago flying YUL-LHR-RUH and back, however, I found that trip to be killing I mean here the outbound only. BA flight from YUL arrived at 9 am in LHR and my connecting flight to RUH was at 9 pm so I had to waste 12 hours in LHR doing nothing

On the way back it is much better as BA leaves RUH in morning around 7.45 am arriving in LHR about noon time making possible for you to connect to any flight in North America in short time.

However, I still recommend that you take AA/BA combo. I put the whole trip miles into myy AA account as BA flights from Canada to UK and v.v. are mileage earning unlike USA-UK.

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Apr 4, 2010 at 10:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.