Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Observations & Ruminations about AAdvantage Account Numbers (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Observations & Ruminations about AAdvantage Account Numbers (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by vasantn
All it does is make your check digit half as reliable.
If I was a technical grandee at AA, I would certainly give up the reliability of the check digit just for the pleasure of watching a 4 page thread develop at FT over this new Dan Arpey mystery. Bring in the Hardy Boys.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by ESpen36
(Note that, originally, AAdvantage numbers had numerical characters only. Then, around the early 90s, they started using three letters followed by four numbers. Nowadays, it's a random combination of numbers and letters, but, as we both seem to have noticed, they always end in an even number.)
I must be special then. My AA number is from the mid-80's and starts with two letters. When do I get a visit from Sam Elliott to personally deliver my direct access phone number?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

As I said earlier, it makes absolutely no sense from a logical, mathematical or technical standpoint to have a general multiplier of 2 in the checksum formula. All it does is make your check digit half as reliable.
Yes, but it also leads to twice as many FT posts.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
I must be special then. My AA number is from the mid-80's and starts with two letters.
Mine as well, 1986, I believe. Two letters with five numbers, ending in an even number.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Ditto 2 alphas followed by numbers mid 80s.

I was told by AA customer service years ago that the account numbers always end in even numbers. I guess I was remiss in not posting that information on FT!! (OK..it was probably before I'd ever heard of FT).
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by dayone
I agree that zero is even but how do you actually go about "splitting" nothing into two piles, or any piles?
I don't know, but I'm sure it either takes an infinitely long time or an infinitely short time.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:49 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
it amazes me that of all the things we have beaten to death in this forum that we have just figured out that all our advantage numbers end in an even number.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Checked my family's, fiancee's, and a few coworkers.

Nine in all, all even. My own ends in 666.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
As I said earlier, it makes absolutely no sense from a logical, mathematical or technical standpoint to have a general multiplier of 2 in the checksum formula. All it does is make your check digit half as reliable.
That explains why United does it...

Originally Posted by Pickles
I must be special then. My AA number is from the mid-80's and starts with two letters. When do I get a visit from Sam Elliott to personally deliver my direct access phone number?
I'm waiting for Espen to explain to me how I got a defective AAdvantage number. I've been robbed, I only have 1 letter.

Originally Posted by abk
it amazes me that of all the things we have beaten to death in this forum that we have just figured out that all our advantage numbers end in an even number.
We haven't yet, not all AAdvantage members have checked in. We need a couple dozen million more posts before we can be sure.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
We haven't yet, not all AAdvantage members have checked in. We need a couple dozen million more posts before we can be sure.
I'll do my share: all four AAdvantage "numbers" that I know of end with an even digit.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by ESpen36

(Note that, originally, AAdvantage numbers had numerical characters only. Then, around the early 90s, they started using three letters followed by four numbers. . .)
I do not agree. I know for a fact that by February, 1985 when I joined, AAdvantage was using a single letter followed by six numbers as my friend and I both joined at around the same time. That month they were up to "S."

The following is purely anecdotal information that I've heard from employees, namely that AA used a format that worked through the 26 letters of the alphabet twice (e.g. A000000-Z999999 followed by AA-00000-ZZ-99999) before mixing letters and numbers.

What the truth is, who knows?

I think it's unlikely that there is no reason behind all membership account numbers ending in even numbers. This is a company that doesn't dump an ashtray without a plan.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
The following is purely anecdotal information that I've heard from employees, namely that AA used a format that worked through the 26 letters of the alphabet twice (e.g. A000000-Z999999 followed by AA-00000-ZZ-99999) before mixing letters and numbers.
A000000-Z999999 is 26 million combinations (or 13 million if they only use even numbers). AA00000-ZZ99999 is another 67.6 million (33.8 million even numbers). How many members does AAdvantage have?

Last edited by Hagbard Viking; Apr 3, 2010 at 1:58 am Reason: typo correction
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
A000000-Z999999 is 26 million combinations (or 13 million if they only use even numbers). AA00000-ZZ99999 is another 676 million (338 million even numbers). How many members does AAdvantage have?
I never said they used every single combination. Obviously, it is unlikely there is an AAdvantage member A000000.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
A000000-Z999999 is 26 million combinations (or 13 million if they only use even numbers). AA00000-ZZ99999 is another 676 million (338 million even numbers). How many members does AAdvantage have?
Wikipedia says over 50 million in 2005.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:22 am

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
[QUOTE=Landing Gear;13701113]I do not agree. I know for a fact that by February, 1985 when I joined, AAdvantage was using a single letter followed by six numbers as my friend and I both joined at around the same time. That month they were up to "S."

Well... I joined Dec 1985..my aa number begins with "A".however as I said before , is followed by another alpha.. then 5 numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.