FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Award flight from US-Europe booked with 20,000 changed to August... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1064095-award-flight-us-europe-booked-20-000-changed-august.html)

tash2000 Mar 17, 2010 11:26 am

Award flight from US-Europe booked with 20,000 changed to August...

Is it possible to book an AA award flight for May where they require 20,000 miles o/w with the intention of flying in August? (by just calling and changing the date). This way I avoid using more miles for high-season.

Ready2Go Mar 17, 2010 11:34 am

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."

-- Erica Jong

larrywilmot747 Mar 17, 2010 12:57 pm

I hope not. Why should people who don't "scam" be disadvantaged. :td::td::td:

i_fly_AA Mar 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Nice try. No.

ssing Mar 17, 2010 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by larrywilmot747 (Post 13594651)
I hope not. Why should people who don't "scam" be disadvantaged. :td::td::td:

+1. I hope not.

Though I will not call it "scamming" but rather "gaming" . I see it being no worse than the folks trying to avoid fuel surcharges by using all sorts of tricks.

Plato90s Mar 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by tash2000 (Post 13594000)
Is it possible to book an AA award flight for May where they require 20,000 miles o/w with the intention of flying in August? (by just calling and changing the date). This way I avoid using more miles for high-season.

No - you will be required to re-ticket if travel occurs outside the low-season.

clacko Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm

i think that when 1 tried to change the date to the high season, you wouldn't find any availability at 20k.....

gemac Mar 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ready2Go (Post 13594046)
"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."

-- Erica Jong

Thanks for brightening my day. Actually did really laugh out loud.

chanp Mar 17, 2010 6:06 pm

NO, they will require the additional miles.

androobe Mar 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Can I buy a one way O class fare from ORD-LGA and change it to F round the world, free of charge, or will they try to charge me?

ssing Mar 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by androobe (Post 13596789)
Can I buy a one way O class fare from ORD-LGA and change it to F round the world, free of charge, or will they try to charge me?

Yes, they will try to charge you with "insane conduct" :-)

guv1976 Mar 17, 2010 6:53 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by tash2000

From what city will you be starting? There may be a relatively inexpensive way of being able to fly the international segment in August, and still pay only 20,000 miles for the trip.

ramalama8 Mar 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 13596975)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

From what city will you be starting? There may be a relatively inexpensive way of being able to fly the international segment in August, and still pay only 20,000 miles for the trip.

I would like to know the relatively inexpensive way - I don't have any future plans, but just because I'd like to know...

BobSafari Mar 21, 2010 7:38 pm

You can go ahead right now and book this ticket for travel to Europe in August at the off-peak rate, if you book it as a one way ticket with a stopover at a US gateway city, and fly to the stopover city during the off-peak season.

For example - LGA-ORD on May 1, and ORD-LHR on August 3. Cost varies depending on where you live. I don't necessarily think this gaming of the system to allow international legs to be flown in peak season for off-peak miles should be allowed, but it currently is.

miles_navigator Apr 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by BobSafari (Post 13621112)
You can go ahead right now and book this ticket for travel to Europe in August at the off-peak rate, if you book it as a one way ticket with a stopover at a US gateway city, and fly to the stopover city during the off-peak season.

For example - LGA-ORD on May 1, and ORD-LHR on August 3. Cost varies depending on where you live. I don't necessarily think this gaming of the system to allow international legs to be flown in peak season for off-peak miles should be allowed, but it currently is.

Confirming you can do this; I did for Asia for the off peak miles.

MIA --> DFW April <stop over>

DFW --> NRT in August

I have a question though on the changing the date of the 2nd leg once already ticketed; Let use this routing for example (you guys get the idea of 2 vacation I hope):p:

Feb 16, 2011 HNL --> SFO --> JFK
<stop over>

Mar. 5, 2011 JFK --> LHR

Since it is AA metal, it is booked online at aa.com for 20K miles 1 way.

However, I want to travel the JFK --> LHR leg in say August 2011, for which the seats don't open till Sept. 2010.

I don't think you can make changes to award travel dates on line once ticketed. Can I just call up the AA desk and ask them to move to the flight on the day the seats open (even thought it was ticketed online)?

Is there a charge for moving the segment via phone later?

Will someone at the AA desk, say wait a minute you can't do that, since the change requires human interaction?