Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of AA clearing upgrades later than in the past

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Other than that, though, is it important to you when it clears?

As I noted in an earlier post, for years FTers have complained that upgrades are clearing later and later. After 6 years as an FT member, I still don't get the point of these posts. Sure, I like knowing as soon as possible that an upgrade has cleared (who doesn't?), but I don't understand why it really matters if it occurs at T-10 or T-100 or somewhere in between.
If I get upgraded 100 before it saves me time as do not have to keep checking to see how full the cabin is. I like to try prepare myself if I am going to be in Y like take some food with me. It was a great benefit to get upgraded 100 before. If you only get upgraded a few hours before the flight there is less chance you will since other people miss flights and flights get cancelled so they end up taking the seats in first. I am sure many others also much prefer to get upgraded 100 hours before then 1 day or a few hours before.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by SFO777
OK, I'll bite. How so?
I fly mostly TATL and try to use VIPs for the red-eye. If I know I'll be in coach I'll pack comfort items that would normally be provided in J: amenity-kit type items (eyeshades, tissues, socks, etc.), a small pillow, an extra sweater for warmth in the exit row window seat, granola for breakfast. It's not a huge deal but it's just another bit of planning.

I haven't been EXP long enough to have experienced downgrading, dayone. I imagine I would sulk and grumble for a bit and then get over it. Pull a sweater out of my suitcase before checking it (yes, I check a bag). Grab an apple from the lounge.

As long I know before leaving home it doesn't really matter whether it's T-10 or T-100. But when the GA shakes her head and says, "There are plenty of seats, I don't know why they made you wait till check-in" it does make me wonder. And yes, I would rather know in advance, it's just one less thing to think about. But wouldn't everyone prefer absolute certainty with their flight plans?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by sharklover
If you only get upgraded a few hours before the flight there is less chance you will since other people miss flights and flights get cancelled so they end up taking the seats in first.
Really? That hasn't been my experience.

(Actually I have found when I only get upgraded a few hours before the flight there is a greater chance I will since... well since, at that point I was upgraded. )

Originally Posted by sharklover
I am sure many others also much prefer to get upgraded 100 hours before then 1 day or a few hours before.
I am sure we would all prefer upgrades at 100 hours, but preferring that it happens and complaining when it doesn't happen are two different things.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by GregL
Yes, we could split -- but then we have the issue of one person clearing with EXP priority and the other with no status.
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Nope - you can split the record and both PNRs will retain EXP status with the original request date. No one should be able to clear an upgrade in between you.
Originally Posted by vasantn
Not necessarily true. There have been conflicting stories regarding this.
I split a PNR this weekend that was wait listed for eVips thinking my wife (Plat) would retain my status. I was subsequently advised she would be treated as a Plat on the list. This, I didn't expect.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
I pack my cabin bag differently depending on whether or not my upgrade has cleared before I leave for the airport.
So do I; e.g., if it's internat'l in J, I'll leave my noise-cancelling headphones at home. I'll take them if I'm in Y either direction. I don't bother bringing toothpaste and a toothbrush in J, either. Also, if I'm in Y, I'll buy more bottled soft drinks in the concourse before boarding, since the FA's are less attentive than they are in J.

BTW, as to UG's, I'm on AA 169 LAX->NRT this Saturday, 11 hrs. 50 min scheduled time (uggh). Just logged onto AA.com, and got the wonderful "your reservation cannot be retrieved at this time" message. Sure enough, when I called the EXP desk, the UG had cleared, and was in "UG processing limbo". The AAgent finished processing and I got my seat assignment.

I had a pending EF Alert for C inventory, incidentally, which I never got. Must be that EXP "expanded inventory" again. 4/4 for internat'l UG's this year.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by alien
I split a PNR this weekend that was wait listed for eVips thinking my wife (Plat) would retain my status. I was subsequently advised she would be treated as a Plat on the list. This, I didn't expect.

I split a few days ago after specifically asking about this and being assured she would be treated as ExPlat
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
Just logged onto AA.com, and got the wonderful "your reservation cannot be retrieved at this time" message. Sure enough, when I called the EXP desk, the UG had cleared, and was in "UG processing limbo". The AAgent finished processing and I got my seat assignment.
I have one of those messages right now for a Wednesday flight home that's been showing J7. Had the same message two weeks ago for a similar flight. At least now I know, when they do pop up, that it means the upgrade is being processed. I was actually worried, when I saw it the first time and it mentions the reservation being modified outside AA.com, that someone was tampering with my booking.

Tom in London
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by tom911
At least now I know, when they do pop up, that it means the upgrade is being processed. I was actually worried, when I saw it the first time and it mentions the reservation being modified outside AA.com, that someone was tampering with my booking.
What I can tell you is that, after having seen that message well over a dozen times, only once did I see it and a subsequent call to AAdvantage did not confirm that the UG had cleared. So if I have a pending UG request, when I see that message I take it as a very good sign the UG has cleared. It makes sense - I'm sure there's a point in the process where, if you got access to your record and started changing things, things would get seriously messed up.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by alien
I split a PNR this weekend that was wait listed for eVips thinking my wife (Plat) would retain my status. I was subsequently advised she would be treated as a Plat on the list.
I've been told the same.

(Not that your wife would be treated as a PLT, but that others on the reservation would not retain my status for upgrade purposes if the record id split.)
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have one of those messages right now for a Wednesday flight home that's been showing J7. Had the same message two weeks ago for a similar flight. At least now I know, when they do pop up, that it means the upgrade is being processed. I was actually worried, when I saw it the first time and it mentions the reservation being modified outside AA.com, that someone was tampering with my booking.

Tom in London
Had this message for a return from DUB, about three days prior. Skyped the EXP desk (didn't realize that calls from abroad to 800 numbers are still free) and was told that it had been confirmed, just not reissued yet. She was able to assign seats, however.

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
I am on AA599 LGA-MIA next Friday. UG not yet cleared at about 88hours to departure.
I booked 1Month+ ago and now I can see 10 seats still open(or at least not assigned) in F.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
Just logged onto AA.com, and got the wonderful "your reservation cannot be retrieved at this time" message. Sure enough, when I called the EXP desk, the UG had cleared, and was in "UG processing limbo". The AAgent finished processing and I got my seat assignment.
Well these comments got my hopes up, since I had the same message earlier today. But logging back in I am still in 21J
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Nope - you can split the record and both PNRs will retain EXP status with the original request date. No one should be able to clear an upgrade in between you.
I called the EXP desk tonight, explained the situation (two in a reservation, one EXP, one base level) and was told that if we split the reservation, my companion will NOT keep my EXP status priority for the upgrade.

Greg
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Qantas, Hawaiian
Originally Posted by vasantn
I seem to be the only person in the universe who has not noticed AA upgrades clearing significantly later than a few years ago.
Nope, I'm 5 for 5 this year, but 3 of those cleared less than 24 hours prior (1 cleared an hour before the flight). Seems like the route has a lot to do with it, and I'm stuck with only a few outbound options.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat 2MM,Mileage Plus
Delayed VIP Upgrades

I am Exec PLAT and fly mostly LAX -LHR
or LAX - JFK or BUR - LGA

Without fail I'm always upgraded on the Burbank flights via DFW
usually at 100 hours. Can't remember a flight I didn't get upgraded.
Occasionally if I book a busy flight the upgrade happens at 12 hours.

JFK-LAX always upgraded on the Red-eye and other flights can be up to the gate.

VIP upgrades have definitely changed policy on flights from LAX-LHR
I used to be able to get them when I booked. 2-4 weeks ahead.
LHR-LAX always clear early.

I would sometimes write to customer relations requesting a speedy upgrade so i could choose my seat ahead of time and always was upgraded within 24 hours. I wrote a note to customer relations requesting my speedy upgrades and was told firmly that CUSTOMER RELATIONS have nothing to do with the VIP upgrades and I should only contact them about "issues" involving
flights already flown. When I questioned this policy, I received another note
re-iterating this policy. I am now looking at finding alternative ways to fly to the UK. The reason for my loyalty to AA was because of the perks of the AA EXEC PLAT system. I am now 3 weeks out on a flight to the UK and when I phone I'm told there are seats available for sale and I'm waitlisted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.