Impact of AA clearing upgrades later than in the past

Old Feb 14, 10, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
Revenue management algorithms are based on masses of historical data, so that revenue is maximized overall. Every flight can't be optimized individually.
That is true... however, algorithms can be tweaked to be tighter on making upgrades available earlier in the cycle vs. later in the cycle. That is what I believe to be happening, especially on international eVIP upgrades.

Greg
Old Feb 14, 10, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Iíve actually read that the pricing algorithms all output for human approval (I didnít really believe this though - not sure at what level of detail this takes place on, be it audit or true approval). I would really like to know what theyíre using if itís ART or some sort of Neural Network (or some Genetic Programming).

Sadly I would bet my (any given part of anatomy) that their algorithms are not all that sophisticated. Even big hedge funds are mostly pulling off pretty unsophisticated stuff these days. Granted the airline pricing problem is NP Complete.
Old Feb 15, 10, 2:13 am

Programs: AA GLD,DL,UA
Lots of J seats NRT-LAX, and we got the only 2 released for C inventory 3 weeks out. Then when we did a new reservation to lower the fare, we lost them. 2 weeks out they we got them back and EF showed C inventory of 7, meaning at least 9 seats for eVIP were made available at one time. That certainly is not a staggered pattern that would be more in line with odds of selling a seat decreasing gradually as the flight date approaches.
Old Feb 15, 10, 4:32 am

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Yes, we could split -- but then we have the issue of one person clearing with EXP priority and the other with no status.

For trips of two people over the past three years to LHR, BRU/CDG and LHR/FRA, most upgrades cleared at booking 3-4 months in advance. It's only over the past year that they've limited the availability so that anything in that timeframe is waitlisted.

Greg
Traveling with my wife next week ORD-LHR, I was told by the agent that we could split and still both be waitlisted for eVIP upgrades from my account, and with the original date requested remaining in the record. (Of course we haven't cleared yet)
As my guest wouldn't she have lounge access? What other benefit do you lose by splitting?
Old Feb 15, 10, 8:15 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
My upgrade tomorrow morning from MIA-ORD has not cleared with 10 seats remaining in F. Usually upgeades with lots of seats open have always cleared 100 hours before. The only exeption I have seen was when I flew to Lax it would only get cleared 1 or 2 days before no matter how many seats were available. This is the first time I have seen anything like this on a flight from MIA-ORD. I really hope this is not going to happen on many flights.
Old Feb 15, 10, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
In line with the recent trend towards consolidating threads with a common theme, I respectfully suggest that the mods start a new thread entitled:

I'm only xx days/hours out and there are xx seats "open" in F/J but my upgrade hasn't cleared!
Old Feb 15, 10, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by sharklover View Post
I really hope this is not going to happen on many flights.
You really hope what isn't going to happen on many flights? If I understand correctly, you still have close to 24 hours before flight time. Why does it matter when it clears, as long as it clears?
Old Feb 15, 10, 9:34 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Yes, we could split -- but then we have the issue of one person clearing with EXP priority and the other with no status.
Nope - you can split the record and both PNRs will retain EXP status with the original request date. No one should be able to clear an upgrade in between you.
Old Feb 15, 10, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Originally Posted by janetdoe View Post
Nope - you can split the record and both PNRs will retain EXP status with the original request date. No one should be able to clear an upgrade in between you.
Not necessarily true. There have been conflicting stories regarding this.
Old Feb 15, 10, 12:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sharklover View Post
My upgrade tomorrow morning from MIA-ORD has not cleared with 10 seats remaining in F. Usually upgeades with lots of seats open have always cleared 100 hours before. The only exeption I have seen was when I flew to Lax it would only get cleared 1 or 2 days before no matter how many seats were available. This is the first time I have seen anything like this on a flight from MIA-ORD. I really hope this is not going to happen on many flights.
Hub-to-hub flights tend to be elite heavy routes. I flew the reverse of this route in December and didn't get upgraded until boarding was in group 3 at the gate. Worse, it was a 777 and I was in the middle seat way in the back and was dreading that flight. All turned out well.

Frankly, I like to get upgrades at least 1 hour before so I know whether to get a snack or not.
Old Feb 15, 10, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
In line with the recent trend towards consolidating threads with a common theme, I respectfully suggest that the mods start a new thread entitled:

I'm only xx days/hours out and there are xx seats "open" in F/J but my upgrade hasn't cleared!
I agree. We do seem to be getting a lot of these types of posts recently.
Old Feb 15, 10, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma View Post
You really hope what isn't going to happen on many flights? If I understand correctly, you still have close to 24 hours before flight time. Why does it matter when it clears, as long as it clears?
I pack my cabin bag differently depending on whether or not my upgrade has cleared before I leave for the airport.
Old Feb 15, 10, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Originally Posted by Fornebufox View Post
I pack my cabin bag differently depending on whether or not my upgrade has cleared before I leave for the airport.
OK, I'll bite. How so?
Old Feb 15, 10, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

What do you do when you plane gets downguaged and you lose your upgrade? Drive home and repack?
Old Feb 15, 10, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Other than that, though, is it important to you when it clears?

As I noted in an earlier post, for years FTers have complained that upgrades are clearing later and later. After 6 years as an FT member, I still don't get the point of these posts. Sure, I like knowing as soon as possible that an upgrade has cleared (who doesn't?), but I don't understand why it really matters if it occurs at T-10 or T-100 or somewhere in between.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: