Impact of AA clearing upgrades later than in the past

Old Feb 12, 10, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, AS MVP 75K, JL Emerald, A3 *G, Hyatt Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
You don't get email notifications for eVIP upgrades. Once in a while you get a phone notification, but I haven't had one recently.
Oh ok, thanks vasantn, first clear waitlist eVIP, now I know for the future.
Old Feb 12, 10, 9:19 pm

Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
As for international upgrades, many on this board, myself included, do request those for travel on/around weekend days. I'd have to dig up the thread on this, but it was known that revenue management was telling EXP agents NOT to keep asking about clearing waitlisted upgrades on weekend days, as those would not be cleared until just prior to departure. A couple of EXP agents that post here confirmed that.

So, that might partially explain why eVIPS aren't clearing farther in advance---if they're for travel on/around a weekend, RM is going to hold them until then.
Old Feb 13, 10, 5:17 am

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
My eVIPs TUS-DFW-NRT cleared about 5 weeks out for a Friday departure in March.

I also note that I have always received an email with the re-issued ticket details a couple of days later.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 13, 10, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
You don't get email notifications for eVIP upgrades.
Right, but I do typically receive an email once the SWU has been reticketed.
Old Feb 13, 10, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by DFW25FLY View Post
Ya I actually haven't been receiving upgrade notification emails on all my upgrades either. I've probably only received the UG email about 2/3 of the time. I have no idea why some of my UGed flts don't receive an email.
This may not fit your situation, but I only receive the emails if I request the upgrades on AA.com. I do not receive them if I request though other means (agent, travel agents, corporate travel).
Old Feb 13, 10, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Originally Posted by trojanman View Post
Careful now...that's the DL approach, and their elites are so pissed they are leaving in droves.
Despite all of its flaws, I am convinced AA has the best elite upgrade policy in the biz.
Leaving in droves? CO maybe, but DL?
Most of my flying is split between AA and DL. While I prefer to fly AA and agree that the overall EXP program benefits are far superior, IMO DL's UG clearance policy (and its pricing model) has distinct advantages over AA.

On AA, you have to book at T-7 for the cheapest fare. On DL, those (same) cheap fares are generally availably until T-3. On DL, I try to book at T-5, when the PM upgrade window opens. Upgrade availability status is displayed for each flight option. I then select flights with the notation "Upgrade Available" (and at T-5 almost all flights show available) and am instantly confirmed in First, where I select my desired seat. Except for the JFK-SFO/LAX transcons, my experience is that DL also tends to hold back fewer F seats for purchase and clears UGs into all but one or two unsold seats at least a day before departure.

On the other hand, CO is simply a crap-shoot with even totally empty F cabins randomly not clearing until the gate.

Last edited by SFO777; Feb 13, 10 at 10:09 am
Old Feb 13, 10, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by janetdoe View Post
There are some other threads in the AA forum that give more details, but AA frequently releases upgrades one seat at a time. Couples will be skipped over in favor of singles in that case. You can split your PNR to allow yourselves to be upgraded one-at-a-time.
Yes, we could split -- but then we have the issue of one person clearing with EXP priority and the other with no status.

For trips of two people over the past three years to LHR, BRU/CDG and LHR/FRA, most upgrades cleared at booking 3-4 months in advance. It's only over the past year that they've limited the availability so that anything in that timeframe is waitlisted.

Greg
Old Feb 13, 10, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
I seem to be the only person in the universe who has not noticed AA upgrades clearing significantly later than a few years ago.
Upgrades clearing later than in the past has been going on for years. Remember, you noticed it in 2006.

August 31, 2003
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ing-later.html

June 2, 2004
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/2882922-post3.html

June 10, 2004
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/2906352-post2.html

April 27, 2006
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...sier-exps.html

June 20, 2006
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/5953208-post5.html

June 27, 2006
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/5987179-post8.html

Aug 24, 2008
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10572839-post33.html
Old Feb 13, 10, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
Originally Posted by jbcarioca View Post
GregL has experience much like mine. I have never used domestic US stickers so I don't know about them. The eVIP's used to clear typically at booking (2-3 weeks in advance for me). Now they're clearing 2-3 days out, or as in yesterday, about eight hours before flight time. The seat availability has not been too different, in the case today there were 5 open seats in various fare classes just before mine cleared, but they'd waited until the last minute. Even so, mine have cleared 100%.
I'm experiencing this as well.
I'm Gold and a good friend who's EXP is giving me 2 system wide upgrades that he won't be able to use before end of Feb. So I decided that a trip to Paris in Biz Class would be a perfect way to treat myself to some miles. I've done this the past two February's, and never had a problem getting a seat at time of booking. I'm now having a problem getting a confirmed Biz Class seat, even though the dates I'm looking at all show 10+ empty seats in Business cabin. It's frustrating because the upgrade is the reason for this little mileage run I'm doing. It's not like I need to be in Paris on any particular date. The work I'll do there can be done at any time.
Old Feb 13, 10, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
my experience is that DL also tends to hold back fewer F seats for purchase and clears UGs into all but one or two unsold seats at least a day before departure
You can't be serious. Or you are especially blessed. DL is much, much worse about holding back upgrade inventory than AA.
Old Feb 14, 10, 9:41 am

I seem to be the only person in the universe who has not noticed AA upgrades clearing significantly later than a few years ago.
I've noticed that my upgrades are not clearing. Obviously, it depends on the routes that one flies. Almost all of my domestic departures begin as outbounds from LGA at peak times when business flyers abound. Two weeks ago, my wife and I cleared two upgrades at the gate, although the AA seating charts indicated the flights were more than half empty up front (yes, we know about the uncertainty of using these stats), the third cleared at 24 hours out, and although we were on top of the UG list, we did not clear the fourth (LGA-DFW on Thurs PM). We're off again this week and with the 100 hour mark behind us for our departure, we have not cleared either of our outbound flights. We also tried to book some international flights using evips 330 days out, and our outbound this fall has not cleared between JFK and LHR.
Old Feb 14, 10, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Yea, this is the first time I've really had this problem. I am now inside the 48 hour window and still don't have my upgrade (even two agents were like 'hmmm that's strange, there are plenty of seatsí and told me not to worry, Iíd get my upgrade).

Iím flying a route that always has availability in F and this is really surprising to me. I am all for AA trying to make more money, they need it, but it is sort of silly to hold at least half of F empty until 45 hours before a flight. Your chance of F walkups is very low even if this destination is only three hours from the Olympics.

I almost wonder if AA is having some IT problems. AA.com has been having quite a few service issues lately IME.
Old Feb 14, 10, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
I've had the same "huh?" from time to time, like a few weeks ago when SFO-DFW cleared at 100 hours, but my connecting flight on an elite-light route (DFW-JAX) didn't clear until T-24, even though not a single F seat had been sold (or at least assigned), and it subsequently went out with 9 open F seats.

Anyone else noticed that UG processing over the weekend seems to be less efficient?
Old Feb 14, 10, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, AS MVP 75K, JL Emerald, A3 *G, Hyatt Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum View Post
I've noticed that my upgrades are not clearing. Obviously, it depends on the routes that one flies. Almost all of my domestic departures begin as outbounds from LGA at peak times when business flyers abound. Two weeks ago, my wife and I cleared two upgrades at the gate, although the AA seating charts indicated the flights were more than half empty up front (yes, we know about the uncertainty of using these stats), the third cleared at 24 hours out, and although we were on top of the UG list, we did not clear the fourth (LGA-DFW on Thurs PM). We're off again this week and with the 100 hour mark behind us for our departure, we have not cleared either of our outbound flights. .
If your major route is LGA-DFW, it only seems to clear about 1/2 of F cabin before 24 hrs out, the last 7-9 seats always seems to clear at T-5, your experience may vary of course. Mine is based friday late morning flights.
Old Feb 14, 10, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Originally Posted by dnova View Post
Yea, this is the first time I've really had this problem. I am now inside the 48 hour window and still don't have my upgrade (even two agents were like 'hmmm that's strange, there are plenty of seatsí and told me not to worry, Iíd get my upgrade).

Iím flying a route that always has availability in F and this is really surprising to me. I am all for AA trying to make more money, they need it, but it is sort of silly to hold at least half of F empty until 45 hours before a flight. Your chance of F walkups is very low even if this destination is only three hours from the Olympics.

I almost wonder if AA is having some IT problems. AA.com has been having quite a few service issues lately IME.
People seem to be under the impression that AA has a billion analysts sitting around and keeping their collective finger on the pulse of every flight every second of the day. Revenue management algorithms are based on masses of historical data, so that revenue is maximized overall. Every flight can't be optimized individually. It's all about statistics and individual experiences don't count for a whole lot.

It's like people confusing local weather with global climate trends.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: