Search

Impact of AA clearing upgrades later than in the past

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:00 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
I love how people feel put out that you ask them to move from 4B to 5B or vice versa.
Interesting- we've never had anyone feel put out when we ask. There was one guy who didn't want to move from like 4B to 6D on a 763, saying that he didn't like the back row. Of course, the seats are the same, and there is no recline difference, so his reasons were, IMO, silly. But he was cordial in his refusal and we commented no further. I made other arrangements with a double switch that worked.

Cheers.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
The impact is that the end of the world is near.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Saturday night transcon upgrade for this weekend cleared overnight, almost 85 hours prior to departure. I had anticipated that upgrades would clear much closer to departure because of the continuing bad weather on the East coast, but was pleasantly surprised to get the email.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by GregL
2) Who does this impact? As a party of 2 on an international flight, if AA opens upgrade space later and in smaller quantities, I could see us (with EXP priority) getting passed up while others get confirmed only to find no seats let in the end.
There are some other threads in the AA forum that give more details, but AA frequently releases upgrades one seat at a time. Couples will be skipped over in favor of singles in that case. You can split your PNR to allow yourselves to be upgraded one-at-a-time.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
I'm grateful some upgrades are held until the last moment. Very helpful for EP's booking flights well after the 100 hour mark

I suspect chance is still the biggest player in the game though. Last week I was #3 on the list at the gate on ORD/DFW and my name was called in line to grab my new BP (whew!). Lucky for me someone had caught an earlier flight ...
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Last December I was flying DFW-LAS on a Sunday evening. Flight was a 757 with 7s across the board and a whopping four people in F at my 24 Gold upgrade window. Upgrade didn't clear until six hours before the flight. The flight ended up leaving with four empties in F and ten non-revs.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:55 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I think it really depends on route/ day/ time.

As a general comment, it does seem like upgrades are clearing a lot later than they used to.

I do feel that AA could release some of the seats a bit earlier (i.e holding 17 of 30 seats on domestic until 24 hours out seems a bit much).
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP || AA Lifetime Plat closing in on 4MM
Historically, I have found the clearance mark to be all over the place and I fly mostly the harder-to-upgrade routes; LAX-JFK, NRT, LHR, DFW. It can vary wildly from 100+ hours out to the GA handing me a new BP as the plane is loading.

If they are holding seats longer, it does seem logical that they want to sell them if overall capacity has been cut.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I've found C inventory on the JFK-LHR route to be less available a couple of months out than in previous years, though this may also be a function of reduced frequency, and hence capacity, on that route.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
Is anyone else experiencing that they don't receive emails when flights are upgraded? For both of my segments this weekend I was upgraded and didn't know until I checked on aa.com.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club
Ya I actually haven't been receiving upgrade notification emails on all my upgrades either. I've probably only received the UG email about 2/3 of the time. I have no idea why some of my UGed flts don't receive an email.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Heck, I'd be all for clearing EVERYTHING day of departure by status and fare. Then you'd never have an EXP in the back wanting to upgrade while a PLT or GLD rides up front.
Careful now...that's the DL approach, and their elites are so pissed they are leaving in droves.

Despite all of its flaws, I am convinced AA has the best elite upgrade policy in the biz.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 6:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trojanman
Careful now...that's the DL approach, and their elites are so pissed they are leaving in droves
I'm 2/2 this year on DL upgrades at 48 hours out as a Silver. I don't think it's as widespread as people have let on. At least, I hope it's not.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DFW25FLY
Ya I actually haven't been receiving upgrade notification emails on all my upgrades either. I've probably only received the UG email about 2/3 of the time. I have no idea why some of my UGed flts don't receive an email.
I don't know if the upg emails are different for evip vs. stickers, but my evip cleared a few days didn't have a email til I saw it on aa. com

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm 2/2 this year on DL upgrades at 48 hours out as a Silver. I don't think it's as widespread as people have let on. At least, I hope it's not.
Maybe I'm having harder routes this year and even though I'm still getting the upgrades, it feels like upgrades are tougher to come by overall.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I don't know if the upg emails are different for evip vs. stickers, but my evip cleared a few days didn't have a email til I saw it on aa. com
You don't get email notifications for eVIP upgrades. Once in a while you get a phone notification, but I haven't had one recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.